Squeak when going from Electric to Hybrid

Sarynnus

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Has anyone had this issue happen to them?

When I'm driving in electric mode, and you press the gas pedal more, and the truck switches the engine on, a squeak happens before the engine turns on.

This squeak only happens when I'm driving, doesn't happen when I'm parked and the engine turns on.

Makes me think it's some kind of solenoid that tells the truck "We need more power" and to turn the engine on. This squeak happens half a second before the engine turns on.

The squeak comes and goes, and every time I bring it to the dealer, it goes away, and comes back the next day.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
It's possible that the belt on the belt driven starter might be squeaking when a load is first applied to it?
Does it sound like a belt squeak?

OP
OP

Sarynnus

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
It could be, it's only a quick chirp like in the video.

Oddly though, it only happens when I'm in drive. If I'm parked and just idling on electric power, a quick tap of the accelerator turns on the engine. No squeaks happen then.

Mew0050

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 powerboost
I definitely have the squeak … has anyone determined what it is and if it’s a concern?

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
May be the transmission bump starting the engine if from a roll at speed.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I definitely have the squeak … has anyone determined what it is and if it’s a concern?
Hi there! Can you send us a private message with your VIN and Ford dealership name? I’ll look into this on my end. Thanks!

BigDE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
I took mine in to the dealership in June for a similar issue. Mine squeaks both ways though: electric to gas and gas to electric.
The dealership said it was the exhaust extension intermediate pipe. They ordered one in June (it was on back order until last week) and will install it in a few weeks, so hopefully that’s the fix.

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
I took mine in to the dealership in June for a similar issue. Mine squeaks both ways though: electric to gas and gas to electric.
The dealership said it was the exhaust extension intermediate pipe. They ordered one in June (it was on back order until last week) and will install it in a few weeks, so hopefully that’s the fix.
Had the same issue on my truck - replacing the heat exchanger fixed the issue for me.

OP
OP

Sarynnus

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I found out what the issue was on mine, and I feel rather silly about it. I have a HAM Radio installed in my truck as I drive in areas of no cell reception often. The squeak was coming through the HAM radios speakers when it's turned on. I guess the power surge when the truck switches from Electric to Gas while driving is different, since it doesn't happen if I'm parked.

PBXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost
I found out what the issue was on mine, and I feel rather silly about it. I have a HAM Radio installed in my truck as I drive in areas of no cell reception often. The squeak was coming through the HAM radios speakers when it's turned on. I guess the power surge when the truck switches from Electric to Gas while driving is different, since it doesn't happen if I'm parked.
I have been trying to figure out my squeak and you have given me an idea to try. I have an aftermarket sound system in my Powerboost and the "power surge" may be the reason why I hear the squeak. I will test it out and update everyone.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not only should you NOT feel silly, but you are the best kind of forum member there is because you returned to share the outcome. That is what makes the contribution so valuable to the collective.

The very next post is proof!

Wolverine7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost, 2023 Tesla Model Y LR
I have a squeak noise as well. Seems to be related more so when the engine shuts off to go into electric mode. Can happen either while parked or while driving, but is harder to hear over road noise. Easiest way to reproduce is to sit in it parked with the A/C on (playing with ForScan, etc.). Happens more so on the "off" cycle, but I've also heard it sometimes when the engine comes back on.

I have an appointment with the dealer to check it out later this month - told them just to leave it parked with the A/C on and it'll eventually do it. Is this the exhaust extender actuator that others have posted about? What physically is it - some sort of exhaust shutoff when going into electric mode?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you are asking about the exhaust heat exchanger, that's exactly what it is. It's a heat exchanger that is using hot exhaust to quickly heat up the coolant that is warming the cabin heat exchanger for cold climates.

The only way I could imagine that it even makes an Audible sound would be if the plastic valve made the noise while opening/closing.

I guess that is entirely possible since it is that very valve that when out of tolerance it will leak. Think of a perfectly round door that is supposed to fit into a perfectly round opening and must be very tight in order to seal properly.

My own opinion is that the plastic material choice was a cost factor and has proven to be a gamble that hasn't faired well. That's some very hot exhaust and liquid that the valve and enclosure is subject to. I can't help but wonder what the heat cycles present to the lifespan of the components.

BigDE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Update from my previous post: I took mine in yesterday and the dealership replaced the exhaust extension pipe. So far I haven’t heard the noise since then. The notes stated the following:

“Verified customer concern, found that the noise was coming from the coolant valve in the exhaust. Unplugged exhaust valve and noise went away. Pinched off coolant lines and removed”

DanielG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
Now my truck is doing this. Squeak that sounds almost like brakes but its not. very bad for a truck with 5000 miles on it.
Sponsored