First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Cloud Engineer
Personally I wouldn't get my hopes up that it will fix itself. Others have reported similar fuel mileage. The powerboost seems to have a wide bell curve distribution on fuel mileage with some reporting absolutely stellar gas mileage and others on the other end of the curve reporting mileage similar to what you are seeing. Personally, my bet is that Ford has cheaped out on fuel injectors and if you get one or two marginal injectors, the monitoring system doesn't detect them and they don't regulate fuel flow properly. Since the monitor doesn't detect them, Ford won't authorize your dealer to do anything about the problem, Ford doesn't want to pay tech's to troubleshoot the system. I hope I'm wrong and good luck with your issue.
BTW...with 10,000+ miles on mine, I'm averaging 20.7 mpg over that entire span and get pretty close to that each time I fill. I have never seen 24 on any fill and I drive pretty mildly, I don't try to hypermile it but I don't beat it either. On the highway and in the city, I drive the speed limit and use cruise control well over 90% of the time and usually see the truck's braking coach showing 90-100% most of the time.
I'm starting to see 20, so things are improving. Can't wait to see how it drives with better gas.
I've read that using cruise control is not efficient, so yours might improve without using that. I'll be getting a Rush cold air intake soon, hoping to squeeze out a couple more MPGs
Sponsored

Greatwhitenorthguy

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat powerboost
New to this forum. Recently purchased a low mileage 2021 F150 power boost with V6 3.5 L engine. Everything was working good with the hybrid and about 20% of my kilometres were in electric only which I was pretty happy with. Then got a Service engine warning on the dash and a powertrain malfunction/reduced power notice on Ford pass. Took it to the dealer and they thought everything was fine and just reset the warning. Picked it up and the problem has not been fixed and warnings back on. When I start vehicle, it is electric only for a few seconds and then the gas engine kicks on , and it no longer goes into electric only mode at all as it did previously when coasting, slowing down, or at a stop. Any ideas?
Just had my 2021 PB Lariat serviced for recalls and trans issue. Since picking up at dealership, electric drive won’t kick in…and noticeable lag when moving from standstill. When stopped, vehicle will ‘idle’ in electric. Dealer notes that they did unplug the batteries for a hard reboot.

Takeaway: something wasn’t plugged back in or dealer-config’d setting is incorrect.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
AussieSteveGuy

AussieSteveGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.innov8.ag
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Lariat Crew Cab
New to this forum. Recently purchased a low mileage 2021 F150 power boost with V6 3.5 L engine. When I start vehicle, it is electric only for a few seconds and then the gas engine kicks on , and it no longer goes into electric only mode at all as it did previously when coasting, slowing down, or at a stop. Any ideas?
Does electric work when moving from a stationary position? Ultimately - for my issue I had to have a part replaced that was under the rear psgr seat with the hybrid battery.

Greatwhitenorthguy

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Does electric work when moving from a stationary position? Ultimately - for my issue I had to have a part replaced that was under the rear psgr seat with the hybrid battery.
Ok, that could be helpful - thank you. Dealership reset my trouble code but when leaving there I was accelerating lightly in electric mode and trouble light came on and the gas kicked in at same time. Since then it goes electric only a few seconds after starting the vehicle and maybe a few yards upon first acceleration. After that no electric for the duration of any trip. It’s a complete change from when it used to properly turn the gas motor off when coasting or stopping…. Says it is hybrid when accelerating (eco coach display).

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The Hybrid battery is not under the passenger seat. It's actually under the body of the truck.

It's really sad that the dealership can't address the issue with a truck that is clearly throwing codes.

The powertrain malfunction/reduced power error is a bit generic on the Powerboost, so the codes would be more specific.

There are some PIDs that you could monitor that I know that I personally would be interested to see on your truck. I've stared at those PIDs now for so many thousands of miles that on my truck, at least, I'd immediately spot something out of the ordinary.

Sponsored

Greatwhitenorthguy

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the input on that. I can definitely ask for the codes when it goes back to dealer this week (especially if they can’t figure it out again ).

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Please don't take this wrong, but I have little confidence that they will take your request in good faith.

If they don't, is scanning and harvesting the codes with Forscan not available to you?

Greatwhitenorthguy

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Please don't take this wrong, but I have little confidence that they will take your request in good faith.

If they don't, is scanning and harvesting the codes with Forscan not available to you?
So, the dealership replaced the PCM, which didn’t rectify the issue (still no electric only power). Ford finally authorized a new starter generator which resolved it.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
So, the dealership replaced the PCM, which didn’t rectify the issue (still no electric only power). Ford finally authorized a new starter generator which resolved it.
Thanks for reporting back!
Sponsored