Sponsored

Lag then Quick Acceleration from electric to gas?

grog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus RS
I first noticed this a few months ago, 2021 with ~18k miles. It was like the ECU was reading input multiple seconds behind. I'm sitting there at 70% throttle but it feels like 20% enginer power for 2-3 seconds. Then I release the pedal (0%) and at the exact same time I'm suddenly getting 70% engine power for 0.5-1 seconds. This goes back and forth a few times until the engine and my foot are back in sync. To an observer, it probably looks worse than my first day learning to drive a manual transmission...
Sponsored

Kgold

First Name
Keegan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, powerboost
Occupation
Educator
Unbelievable. I am so sorry. Because if the help from this thread and people like you, I felt like it was headed downhill and traded mine in last week for a normal 3.5L v6 10 sp ecoboost. Believe it or not, it gets better gas mileage than the hybrid. They gave me what I owed as trade in, so it was essentially like getting a new truck all over. I think you’re right about them dragging their feet until your warranty expires :(.

2drunk2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost XLT
Unbelievable. I am so sorry. Because if the help from this thread and people like you, I felt like it was headed downhill and traded mine in last week for a normal 3.5L v6 10 sp ecoboost. Believe it or not, it gets better gas mileage than the hybrid. They gave me what I owed as trade in, so it was essentially like getting a new truck all over. I think you’re right about them dragging their feet until your warranty expires :(.
Congrats on the new ride. I love my truck when it's working right but I have been tempted to do the same, but I have the wrong type of luck and would probably just end up with a newer oddball. Lol. I hope your new ride is enjoyable and trouble free.

FrogRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1986&2017 F250, 2009, 2013 2022 F150
Does anyone with the lagging issue every receive a DTC error code or High Voltage Error message or that the Pro Power Onboard is now turned off with a message of items plugged in exceed the system’s max capacity - unplug and reset (— I have nothing plugged in either!).

Getting codes of B0128:00-28 DC AC Converter ‘A’ high voltage power outlet ‘B’ circuit / open
along with several invalid Data received from module xYz to abc (as an example), ethernet failures, rear camera module errors etc.

Ford has had my truck for 39 of 52 days trying to figure this out. They have replaced several modules, software updated every module and re-programmed modules etc. It’s back in now with the Regional Rep supposedly getting involved.

2022 picked up May 20th from dealer - currently has 1040 miles on it.

So with all this said - What are your DTC codes that are popping up?

Kgold

First Name
Keegan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, powerboost
Occupation
Educator
With my two trucks, no error codes ever popped up. It was really frustrating because the dealership essentially told me nothing can be done if there is no error code. So I’m glad that you have a code so that they can’t say nothing is wrong. But geez, that’s a long wait. If you don’t mind telling me, what happens after 52 days?

Sponsored

FrogRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1986&2017 F250, 2009, 2013 2022 F150
But geez, that’s a long wait. If you don’t mind telling me, what happens after 52 days?
That‘s and counting - so tomorrow will be day 40 of the past 53 days it’s been in the shop.

2drunk2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost XLT
Never had any type of code for this issue. Actually, for most of the issues I had, including loss of brakes, I never had a code the dealer could find on the pcm even though my ford pass recorded some of the failed systems. Even had a different repetitive brake malfunction error in red box on cluster flashing off and on for months and dealer said they could find no codes but did find after third attempt faulty programming for that issue. So in short, I don't think my truck is recording error codes, which in itself is a problem, but it is fight to have dealers troubleshoot without an error code, catch 22. Glad you are least have a code.

mbouck3

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda clarity, 2005titan 2022f150 powerboost
Occupation
just retired
Nobody loves Sport Mode enough. Lol
To me it's like the Un-EV mode when called for.
Since it looks like I maybe picking up my 22 XL PB 157" pretty soon, do you still feel this way about normal and sport?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Since it looks like I maybe picking up my 22 XL PB 157" pretty soon, do you still feel this way about normal and sport?
If Ford would remove the "disabled" status of EV cruising in Sport Mode, my Powerboost would either be in Sport mode or Slippery mode, depending on whether it's raining.

Admittedly I wouldn't always have Sport in 4A, but I much prefer the shift strategy of the 10r80 in Sport Mode. It matches how I would drive if the truck had a clutch.

You don't have to drive aggressively to enjoy Sport Mode's strategy.

DCBoost

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum PB (ordered)
Reading through this thread has me quiet concerned. I have a 22 Platinum PB on order since early May that is rotting away in some field waiting for parts. Most likely, it will get built and delivered to the dealer before end of this year. However, reliability issues and especially this delay/lag issue has me fence walking. I currently have a 2020 limited with the 450HP Raptor motor so the PB won't be any quicker. Truck is flawless being built just before the pandemic $hit started. However I like the new interior with the 12" screen, newer face and the hybrid design. Really appreciate this forum. I realize the majority of owners have no issues but if a vehicle I buy has design flaw, it usually finds me...

Sponsored

KDPGame02

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Software Development & Design
Reading through this thread has me quiet concerned. I have a 22 Platinum PB on order since early May that is rotting away in some field waiting for parts. Most likely, it will get built and delivered to the dealer before end of this year. However, reliability issues and especially this delay/lag issue has me fence walking. I currently have a 2020 limited with the 450HP Raptor motor so the PB won't be any quicker. Truck is flawless being built just before the pandemic $hit started. However I like the new interior with the 12" screen, newer face and the hybrid design. Really appreciate this forum. I realize the majority of owners have no issues but if a vehicle I buy has design flaw, it usually finds me...
For all the owners who have issues, there are thousands who don't and never post anything here (nor have f150gen14.com accounts I would guess). Like you, mine sat in a lot for months before finally being shipped, but it's been 99% flawless so far. I've had a few electrical gremlins pop up, but they were minor and self-remedied when I re-started the truck.

DCBoost

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum PB (ordered)
I do agree there are thousands that must have very few issues. Thank you for the info on yours. I have been asking PB owners when I can find them how things are going. The last person came right out and stated I better get used to / learn to deal with the lag electric to gas. They have a 2021 and several "updates". Dealer told them it's normal - deal with it.

scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB Mid Front Bench, 2013 E350 4x4
Has anyone noticed their truck “lagging” a bit and then accelerating quickly after it shifts from electric to gas power?

I’ve had my truck since mid January and I’m starting to notice that when I’m in electric mode at low speeds and I need to accelerate a little more than normal, there is a little lag and then when the gas kicks in the truck wants to take off.

For example, when I’m at a complete stop or really low speed and need to merge into traffic or turn left on a busy street, the truck will slowly accelerate kinda lagging and then accelerates quickly after the gas kicks in. So as I’m driving and it happens, basically my thought process goes from “am I going to make it” to “do I need to slam on the brakes”.

If anyone’s had this happen I’d like to know how I can fix it, if it’s fixable.

Thanks!
So I haven't taken time to read all 6 pages, but came here to report the same complaint.

This lag contributed to a fender-bender yesterday (!). I was stopped at the light on a HWY feeder road, and a guy in an suv was to my left in the U-turn only lane, which was backed-up, so he was also stopped, about even with me. When my light turned green, I hit the gas, but it lagged so badly before moving that the suv must have thought I was pausing to allow him to come over to my lane (I admit I was a tiny bit slow on noticing the light change to begin with) (he wanted out of the u-turn lane-- I don't think he had his blinker on, and def didn't make eye contact with me, fwiw). So when my truck finally begins to move, he is already pulling into me during that "post-lag, sudden acceleration" phase, and my truck lurched forward as he put his nose into the side of my left quarter panel.

It was pretty clear he was at fault, so when we met in the parking lot we shook hands and he and his buddy took off (in their $70k suv, now with some scuffs). I had boogered-up PPF on my quarter panel (grateful for the PPF) and a scratch in my bumper.

Anyways, I had griped about this before and finally here's a tangible problem it created. This unnerving pause-hurry-up, plus the rough shift / braking around 3rd gear are my biggest complaints about the truck . ('22 PB, "normal" drive mode).

PS I put it in "sport" the rest of the day, but the gratuitous acceleration and RPM's in the 15mph-50mph range of Sport somehow just emphasized the unpredictable nature of the stopped-to-low-end speed and shifting.
Sponsored