Sponsored

Skipping 2nd gear even in Sport mode

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Did the tune get rid of cylinder deactivation?
3.5 doesn't use it. Need to pull some tools out and load the e30 tune. Numbers should be on par with this if not a little faster.

Ford F-150 Skipping 2nd gear even in Sport mode 1707276928207

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 KR 5.0L 157"WB RHD "Emaciated Edition"
There is a way to force the 10r80 to use every gear (empirical evidence only), and still use the throttle maps for sport, normal etc. without having to select tow/haul or needing to use a tune. In FORScan, under the "easy" settings for PCM, BCM, TCM (I can't remember which) "Stop use of adaptive transmission tables". Does it have any effect upon other operational characteristics or reliability of the 10r80? 🤷‍♂️

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
Realizing now it’s the same with mine. Just got concerned cause I heard everyone saying it goes though all gears in sport

do you drive in tow haul all the time?
i used to drive in tow haul all the time yes. i don’t anymore because i got poor fuel economy as a result.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Mine shifts great. It just has a tendency to skip second I tested it on a little heavier foot coming out of stop several times and when I did that I went into second every time but once. Maybe didn’t punch it enough that one time lol
And you don't have to blast off to make 2nd gear happen in normal or sport modes. I'm typically pretty twitchy at a light, so I deliberately wait, not until horns sound, but until I have a car length or so free in front and then give it quarter throttle and don't let off until you shift out of 2nd gear and into third. It's muscle memory now. Pause, throttle without letting off, resume normal driving. It gets rid of the stumble.

Oddly, my turbo Outback and its' CVT behaves the same way lol, and I use the strategy to smooth it out.

Sponsored

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Does it take out cylinder deactivation as well?
I see you have a 5.0.... it sure does and can include other options like disable start/stop if equipped, sequential shifting, etc.

Last edited:

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Try it out. Be smoooooth, but deliberately and progressively increasing throttle until it shifts into 2nd gear. It's so much nicer than the truck momentarily falling on its face in 3rd.
This is so true.... you almost "squeeze" the pedal if that's makes sense 🤷‍♂️

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems

Sponsored

Shane150

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB
Occupation
Construction
3.5 doesn't use it. Need to pull some tools out and load the e30 tune. Numbers should be on par with this if not a little faster.

1707276928207.png
Which tune is this?

scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB Mid Front Bench, 2013 E350 4x4
Mine skips 2nd gear in Sport Mode too, unfortunately. One of my least favorite things about the truck is how it prematurely shifts gears and lugs all over town. 8th gear at 35 MPH sucks! It has to shift 3+ gears just to get back in the power curve again. I drive the truck in Sport Mode 80% of the time but it still drives me nuts. Sorry for the rant but maybe this was the point of your post too...

Does resetting the shift table in Forscan alleviate this guys?
Could not have said it better.

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
Shifting from 1st to 3rd and skipping 2nd gear is normal, even in sport mode. On my 3.5EB, if the accelerator pedal position is 17.5% or higher in sport mode, you will not skip 2nd gear, below that value you will. In the normal drive mode, the cutoff is 20%.
That's good info, I wonder if you installed a pedal commander type device if that would change that any? I suppose it would but those thresholds you said would still be there.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
ok this morning on ride back from town on my previously mentioned RACE track raod at 60 with winding roads and drop off curves etc

3 times i stopped on straight a ways
1st i watched the gears drop as a slowed at a normal pace. 2 of three it skipped 2nd going down to a full stop

i then held brake and ramped up to 1700 rpm and let off brake, i was at 64 in very close to 3 second
it hit 2, 3, 4 , and i was off the gas.

2nd time i slowed normal and 2 skipped going down
i held brake and ramped up to 2k rpm
same event a lighting flash to 65 and 4th was highest gear under the event

3rd time, it did hit 2, then 1, turned off TC and held brake to 1700 rpm again and boom it screeched a tire out back and i was at 67 in 4th in again a blink of an eye
it skipped 2 that time going up or i went through so fast i missed it as i was focused on road ahead

what is our 0 to 60 times? i swear it was less than 3 seconds

and as a side note all 3 times i was grinning like a possum eating crap off a barbed wire fence
dayyymmm this truck scoots
next time i will take of from idle and moderate throttle
i ran out of long stretches of straight road that gave me 1/2 vision ahead.

and at 60 in sport, 7th is highest gear it will shift to