Sponsored

Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others?

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
If you have been through the process, please share it with the rest of us!

I, for one, totally agree with you. Mine has been at the dealer for 2 weeks (tomorrow) trying to get this sh!t taken care of that they agreed to prior to purchase. Now everybody up there has gone stupid, for lack of a better term. "Uh, we don't know how to proceed with this." I can clearly see their dilemma since we're talking about building a new rocket, not just removing rust and protecting the underside of one of their trucks. I am rapidly reaching that point none of us like to reach in dealing with a dealership.
Mine was in dealership for 3 weeks. Started complaint with Ford motor company 1st a few weeks before going into dealer. Ford will not omit to any wrong doing, or volunteer what they will do about it. They just follow up with dealer and pass info around and waste time in my experience. Ford rep played dumb the whole time. It was frustrating experience! The dealer did an excellent job of cleaning and repainting.
Sponsored

Jlwatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 xlt
After reading through most of these pages, the worst part of this whole ordeal seems to be how little ford cares. When I bought my truck it was between the F150 and the Tundra and I’m afraid I made a mistake. We’ll see what the dealership says.

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
Working on the buy back deal but they don't tell you all the details it is like they keep on trying to hide something. Shady at best.
Pretty ridiculous! The whole experience with Ford reminded be of the bad days with GM products. Hopefully they make it right with you.

Sponsored

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
TFL/Andre did a nice job of totally avoiding the issue. Yes, he's disappointed. Yes, Ford sent him the corporate boilerplate "doesn't affect performance". Meanwhile, the TFL viewer - Petar - is asking a reasonable, specific question: "If this was your truck, would you keep it?" Not a hint of an answer from TFL. Not a whisper from TFL about a follow-up to at least understand what is causing the problem. At this point - with 64 pages of posts and pics here - it seems reasonable to conclude that a) there is/will be no resolution to this issue from Ford for those unlucky enough to have rusty drivetrains, b) owners will accept the rust 'as is' or address it, and c) everyone else who is or will be buying a F150 hopes the root cause has been addressed. Those many thousands of F150's stuck in factory holding pens right now certainly leave one wondering.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
If you have been through the process, please share it with the rest of us!

I, for one, totally agree with you. Mine has been at the dealer for 2 weeks (tomorrow) trying to get this sh!t taken care of that they agreed to prior to purchase. Now everybody up there has gone stupid, for lack of a better term. "Uh, we don't know how to proceed with this." I can clearly see their dilemma since we're talking about building a new rocket, not just removing rust and protecting the underside of one of their trucks. I am rapidly reaching that point none of us like to reach in dealing with a dealership.
Mine arrived with what I'd call mild to moderate (way too much for a new vehicle, but not nearly as bad as a lot that are posted here) and I brought it to my sales rep's attention during the pre-purchase inspection. He wasn't aware that it was an issue at that point and brought in the sales manager to take a look as well. Then they both went out and looked at several they had on the lot. They got the service manager involved and revisited mine and then just about every single one they had sitting on the lot. The service manager opened a case for me and had me leave the truck (they had to correct a couple of other things as well) for another 3 days. When I picked it up the rust had been cleaned up, and the diff and axles had been repainted. Is it 100%? No, but it's a hell of a lot better than it was and they didn't give me a hard time about it.

Moral of the story is: Even if Ford refuses to acknowledge or do anything about this the dealers CAN make amends for this issue. They have the ability. Any dealer that says that they can't or aren't authorized is lying to you. It's the dealers who will feel the loss of a customer before corporate does, and smart dealers recognize that fact.

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
I was at a Ford dealership yesterday in Maryland and of the 25 F-150's they had on the lot, all but 2 had rust on the underbody parts. It's really sad - It seems that the odds that I will find a model that I want to buy without rust is extremely low. A new truck that doesn't leave the factory without rust is a deal breaker for me. Too bad the two F-150s they had without rust were low end trim levels that I wasn't interested in.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
These stories are why I decided to just do it myself. Looks like from the recent deliveries Ford may have fixed this. Hope they will help out those already delivered with rust who can't or don't want to do it themselves.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I went by one of the bigger Ford dealerships in my area yesterday to see if they had any rusted 2021 F150s on their lot and specifically to see if the rust buckets came from Dearborn or KC.

I found 6 out of 11 had rust. 5 looked pristine. (as they should)

The plants were a mix. So it appears that it doesn't matter where your truck is built, both plants are sourcing parts from the same junk yard.

BEWARE!

Sponsored

HawkeyeOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
What’s the general recommendation for addressing this? My Lariat has very mild rust - mainly on the pumpkin and one spot on the main driveshaft. And one spot on some nuts in the rear wheel assembly.

And by mild, I mean very mild. I got up under the truck and got some of it to come off of the pumpkin with a damp paper towel.

The dealership initially told me that it wasn’t a problem because it doesn’t affect function. I was okay with that to start but now it’s starting to nag my brain.

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
What’s the general recommendation for addressing this? My Lariat has very mild rust - mainly on the pumpkin and one spot on the main driveshaft. And one spot on some nuts in the rear wheel assembly.

And by mild, I mean very mild. I got up under the truck and got some of it to come off of the pumpkin with a damp paper towel.

The dealership initially told me that it wasn’t a problem because it doesn’t affect function. I was okay with that to start but now it’s starting to nag my brain.
It depends on who you ask. Like you said - Ford says ignore it. However, about 60% that bought them say ford should fix it, another 15% or so say to ignore it, and the other 25% say that they are skilled enough – and daring/willing enough – to tackle surface rust and small rust spots themselves.

For the folks that haven't bought a F-150 yet - the sales numbers may sway Ford to change their tune in the end and invoke higher spec standards and better QA on part suppliers.

Well, that's my summary of this 64 page topic. :)

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
Dang!! That's terrible!
Yours is real bad like mine is. Ask for and Demand they buy back your truck and replace a new one that is not defective. So far I am month and half into that and still no definitive action on Fords part.

Ford has handed this off to the dept. or third party that does this for Ford called Ford Reacquired Vehicle Headquarters.

Start taking contemporaneous log notes of date and time, who you spoke to demand everything in writing, start a separate file and put everything you get in it. It appears to me they lie, cheat and steal and are trained to do so. Take the truck back to dealer and get it in writing that it was looked at their service center. Send info to Ford Executive offices about this and CC them in correspondence if you don't get action.

Note your mileage and date time in a photo for proof or you can be billed for all the miles you drive for many, many months waiting a new one. I actually expect to be waiting till the 2022's arrive, given the chip shortage and Ford not being able to finish building trucks.

Look up your Lemon Law in your state and know your rights as well as Ford's rights. Good Luck as they try to make this a nightmare, vs. having good customer service and the dealer that sold it is a POS to boot.

socaldogmom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
It depends on who you ask. Like you said - Ford says ignore it. However, about 60% that bought them say ford should fix it, another 15% or so say to ignore it, and the other 25% say that they are skilled enough – and daring/willing enough – to tackle surface rust and small rust spots themselves.

For the folks that haven't bought a F-150 yet - the sales numbers may sway Ford to change their tune in the end and invoke higher spec standards and better QA on part suppliers.

Well, that's my summary of this 64 page topic. :)
At the dealership now and they are saying it’s FORds problem because they built the truck. The dealership is saying all they can do is send in service request for warranty. Fords already denied service request and denied the appeal. After a lot of discussion the sales manager said the would take additional pictures, write a summary and elevate up to their Ford representative. My husband is on the phone with Ford customer service and he’s been transferred and hung up on. So far he’s talked to 4 different people. No one from FORD wants to take responsibility and make this right.

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
At the dealership now and they are saying it’s FORds problem because they built the truck. The dealership is saying all they can do is send in service request for warranty. Fords already denied service request and denied the appeal. After a lot of discussion the sales manager said the would take additional pictures, write a summary and elevate up to their Ford representative. My husband is on the phone with Ford customer service and he’s been transferred and hung up on. So far he’s talked to 4 different people. No one from FORD wants to take responsibility and make this right.
Stay with it as I am doing demand a buy back or hire an attorney. They cannot win this one in court. Product is defective, simple. Ford cancelled the case number the first two weeks, started over again, I am not going away, the rust issue is not going away and if not resolved soon I turn it over the Lemon Law Lawyers. Dealer nice but after they are paid they say get lost, heck of way to treat your customer like me that had Ford trucks since the 1990's.
Sponsored