Sponsored

Request VIN Lookup Thread

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Only the Sync module is supported on that car. You'd need IDS for anything else. (It's part of the same subscription as FDRS).
That’s not quite accurate. IDS is considerably more comprehensive (and considerably more expensive) than FDRS. If you get an IDS subscription, Ford gives you access to FDRS automatically. But it doesn’t work the other way. If you get a subscription to FDRS, you do NOT get access to IDS. Plus, IDS requires different equipment. I don’t think J2534 passthrough devices (like the Mongoose) work on IDS. At least J2534 devices are not listed on the Motorcraft website as compatible with IDS. I think you need Rotunda devices (VCM2, VCM3) to use it.
Sponsored

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2021 Mach-E
That’s not quite accurate. IDS is considerably more comprehensive (and considerably more expensive) than FDRS. If you get an IDS subscription, Ford gives you access to FDRS automatically. But it doesn’t work the other way. If you get a subscription to FDRS, you do NOT get access to IDS. Plus, IDS requires different equipment. I don’t think J2534 passthrough devices (like the Mongoose) work on IDS. At least J2534 devices are not listed on the Motorcraft website as compatible with IDS. I think you need Rotunda devices (VCM2, VCM3) to use it.
Okay, I was not aware that the same pass through devices didn't work.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
2 Jan '22 build date.

Here's the list of available updates (APIM is there!):
1FTFW1ED0NFA27231-15-Jan-23.png
Appreciate it Mike!

Anyway to know, if any of this would come OTA (i.e. I just keep waiting) or do I make a service appointment and try to get them to do the updates?

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Appreciate it Mike!

Anyway to know, if any of this would come OTA (i.e. I just keep waiting) or do I make a service appointment and try to get them to do the updates?
Only the OTA fairy really knows for sure...sadly. And updates that aren't driven by a 'customer concern' or recall are usually pay-to-play. But sometimes they will do them in conjunction with other maintenance.

Sponsored

Jmeo

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Raptor, 2020 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Firefighter
IDS is much more expensive and requires different equipment. It will be a substantial investment to go that route.
Thanks for the insight, I will not bother with IDS since that's the case

Okay, I was not aware that the same pass through devices didn't work.
All good, thanks for your help either way.

You guys are what's great about this forum, much respect.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Morning @Mike G
If you have a minute, could you have a look at what I have outstanding?
Thank you in advance
Don

1FTFX1E81MKE01710

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Appreciate it Mike!

A service appointment won’t help you. A dealer will only update a module if it’s not functioning properly so they can bill the update as a repair.

From past experience, you probably will get an APIM update at some point, because that seems to be one of the few modules that gets some OTA attention. But who knows when.

Ford very quietly informed NHTSA at the end of November that 21-22 Powerboosts will get small OTA tweaks to the ABS and PCM (everyone else will get a PCM tweak only). No further word on that except the NHTSA notification:

November 30, 2022 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: 2122OTA22PU11010
Components: EQUIPMENT

NHTSA ID Number: 10227492
Manufacturer Communication Number: 2122OTA22PU11010
Summary
Priority Update OTA 22-PU1010-MIL-QL for 2021 Model Year F-150 vehicles is now available.

Quality Improvements Include: Shift quality improvements, failsafe cooling improvements, improvement to calibration of brake fluid viscosity algorithm to prevent false DTC detection at cold weather.
2 Affected Products
1 Associated Document
Everything else on your list is a crapshoot. Maybe yes, maybe no.

2mtnrds

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Raptor

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
A service appointment won’t help you. A dealer will only update a module if it’s not functioning properly so they can bill the update as a repair.

From past experience, you probably will get an APIM update at some point, because that seems to be one of the few modules that gets some OTA attention. But who knows when.

Ford very quietly informed NHTSA at the end of November that 21-22 Powerboosts will get small OTA tweaks to the ABS and PCM (everyone else will get a PCM tweak only). No further word on that except the NHTSA notification:

November 30, 2022 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: 2122OTA22PU11010
Components: EQUIPMENT

NHTSA ID Number: 10227492
Manufacturer Communication Number: 2122OTA22PU11010
Summary
Priority Update OTA 22-PU1010-MIL-QL for 2021 Model Year F-150 vehicles is now available.

Quality Improvements Include: Shift quality improvements, failsafe cooling improvements, improvement to calibration of brake fluid viscosity algorithm to prevent false DTC detection at cold weather.
2 Affected Products
1 Associated Document
Everything else on your list is a crapshoot. Maybe yes, maybe no.
JEB, thanks for the additional info.

Is there a way I could reimburse (or send a contribution in name) for a set of update files that I could download onto a USB memory stick to do it at home?

Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
JEB, thanks for the additional info.

Is there a way I could reimburse (or send a contribution in name) for a set of update files that I could download onto a USB memory stick to do it at home?
No. Many have asked the same question. @Jesse-Infotainment can do it in specific and limited circumstances but I wouldn’t ask him unless it was an emergency.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What about using FJDS for his Mustang?
Ford F-150 Request VIN Lookup Thread FJDS-IDS

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
What about using FJDS for his Mustang?
FJDS-IDS.png
FJDS is not very user friendly and I’m not sure it buys you any additional functionality. I don’t personally know anyone who still uses it now that FDRS is available.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
No. Many have asked the same question. @Jesse-Infotainment can do it in specific and limited circumstances but I wouldn’t ask him unless it was an emergency.
Thanks, and yes understand.... Jesse has gone way above and beyond for all of us on this forum.
Sponsored