Sponsored

Recent Cruise Control "update" is a safety hazard - how do you submit feedback to Ford?

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
I just finished updating all modules in my truck and finally brought it to 'current' status.
One of the new things (I don't know which module is responsible for that) is a new sequence of events when you turn Cruise Control Master on.
In every vehicle that I have driven, as well as my 2021 F-150 prior to the updates, you turn the C.C. Master ON and then if you want to set it, you do. If you don't - you don't. That's why there is a dedicated 'set' button to set the C.C. speed. It should be a driver's decision if/when to set it on. This is how C.C. should work.

After the updates, you press the C.C. Master ON, not only it activated the C.C. system, it immediately sets your speed (depending on your gas pedal: if the truck recognizes acceleration, it waits until you relieve pressure; if there is no acceleration it sets the speed you are at). It also turns Lane Keeping Assist ON. Again - there is a dedicated button for that; the driver should decide if he/she wants it ON or not.

From what I understand, this is not a bug in my truck, but rather this is how it works with the most recent update. It could be related to B.C., or perhaps a 20 y/o computer science undergrad doing summer internship at Ford decided it is a cool thing. My truck does not have B.C., so if this is part of B.C., this behavior should not be activated in non-B.C. trucks.
IMO this is a dangerous behavior.

Does anyone know how to submit feedback about this to Ford (other than phone or snail mail)?

Also, does anyone know if there is any way to "fix" this and make it work like it is supposed to: Master ON, Set Speed when I want to, nothing else turns on if I did not intentionally turned it on?

Thank you.
Sponsored

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
The way you describe the "post update" activation of cruise control is the way my 2021 has worked from day 1.

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The way you describe the "post update" activation of cruise control is the way my 2021 has worked from day 1.
Well, that still doesn't make it right, does it? :giggle:

Same as above, this is how my '22 has been since new. Was annoying at first, but have since gotten used to it.
Let's say I 'could' get used to speed set up when I turn the system ON, that's easy.
But I don't understand why do they force Lane Keeping Assist on me when the cruise is on.

Moe7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tremor
Let's say I 'could' get used to speed set up when I turn the system ON, that's easy.
But I don't understand why do they force Lane Keeping Assist on me when the cruise is on.
I don't think you're alone with that frustration; there was a thread here complaining about it if I recall.

For my use case, I don't mind as I turn it on manually in our other vehicles every trip.

EDIT: found it - https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...g-now-auto-enables-with-cruise-control.22242/

Reactions: sbi

Sponsored

scott011422

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 502a PB 7.2k 4x4 157"
Occupation
Engineer
Pretty much always worked this way on GEN14 trucks. Why the big fuss? now you know when you turn the cruise on, its set the cruise and turns it on. There is no safety concern here. Also, If you were to read your manual, It describes this process correctly.

gerry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat PowerBoost
That's the way it's always worked on my 2023, and my 2015 Subaru (that had adaptive cruise as well) before that.

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
The auto set of cruise has been that way on 21 since day 1. Lane keep does not engage until I press the button . My wife's 2016 Volvo you have to turn on cruise then press set. Her Volvo has adaptive cruise as well.

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 4WD 301A 3.5L w/ HDPP
Occupation
retired
... But I don't understand why do they force Lane Keeping Assist on me when the cruise is on.
I believe that's only the first time. On subsequent events, it defalts to its previous state before you activated cruise control.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I got used to the behavior. What I am still upset about is the inaccurate speed limit data in Ford's system. There are a number of spots (over 10 by my count) in Houston on 59 and 45 where the speed limit in Ford's ACC logic drops to 45 MPH in a 60 or 65 MPH zone, requiring immediate driver intervention as the truck brakes from highway speed in traffic. I have Google Maps up nearly all the time via Android Auto, so I can independently verify the real speed limit. This failure upsets me because Google would likely sell their (more accurate) speed limit data to Ford. I think that this is a safety issue, and one that has a ready solution.

It shouldn't require a class action lawsuit for Ford to address this issue, but I fear that it will, and the folks who get hurt in the mean time won't benefit.

If a new car built by my company leaves Chicago traveling west at 60 miles per hour, and the rear differential locks up, and the car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside, does my company initiate a recall?

You take the population of vehicles in the field (A) and multiply it by the probable rate of failure (B), then multiply the result by the average cost of an out-of-court settlement (C).

A times B times C equals X. This is what it will cost if we don’t initiate a recall.

If X is greater than the cost of a recall, we recall the cars and no one gets hurt.

If X is less than the cost of a recall, then we don’t recall.
Ford F-150 Recent Cruise Control "update" is a safety hazard - how do you submit feedback to Ford? 21744728_4

Last edited:

Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
I got used to the behavior. What I am still upset about is the inaccurate speed limit data in Ford's system. There are a number of spots (over 10 by my count) in Houston on 59 and 45 where the speed limit in Ford's ACC logic drops to 45 MPH in a 60 or 65 MPH zone, requiring immediate driver intervention as the truck brakes from highway speed in traffic. I have Google Maps up nearly all the time via Android Auto, so I can independently verify the real speed limit. This failure upsets me because Google would likely sell their (more accurate) speed limit data to Ford. I think that this is a safety issue, and one that has a ready solution.

It shouldn't require a class action lawsuit for Ford to address this issue, but I fear that it will, and the folks who get hurt in the mean time won't benefit.

21744728_4.jpg
Just turn off the speed limit sign recognition. You can also set how much over the speed limit you want the speed to be adjusted to. My truck reads the speed limit signs, even in contruction zones. So I guess it depends on your trim level and what options you have.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Just turn off the speed limit sign recognition. You can also set how much over the speed limit you want the speed to be adjusted to. My truck reads the speed limit signs, even in contruction zones. So I guess it depends on your trim level and what options you have.
That's the solution that I have resisted, but yes, it is the fix.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Pretty much always worked this way on GEN14 trucks. Why the big fuss? now you know when you turn the cruise on, its set the cruise and turns it on. There is no safety concern here. Also, If you were to read your manual, It describes this process correctly.
I actually love this about my truck vs having to hit 3 buttons in my wifes Bronco Sport to set the cruise. My wife prefers the cruise setup in the truck as well.

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is not how it used to work from the day I picked up the truck until after updates, and this is not how it works in other vehicles that I have driven in the past, so if for 2.5 years you know to turn the Master CC ON and only then set the speed when you want to, and all of a sudden you turn it ON and the speed is locked, that's a safety issue.

As I said - now I know and that's easy. The automatic LKA turning on with CC is idiotic and not necessary. Again - there is a dedicated button for this system.

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles