Sponsored

Reasonably safe HP for stock exhaust/cats?

elesthree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 RCSB 4x4 5.0
I'm just curious what power level people start to see catalytic failures at?

I'm planning to make around 750-800whp with a centri blower on E30. Is this an unreasonable goal?

Truck is (coming) 2024 RCSB 5.0 4x4 - ESS Tuning G3- ID1050x otherwise stock. (next round= headers/fore)
Tuning is pending support from HPTuners. My ECM might be the Guinea pig.
Sponsored

Eighthtry

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
Never had the experience but I was sniffing around with Hennessy for a supercharger for my 2014 5.0. It boosted to about 720 hp according to them. I asked about exhaust replacement. He said the factory exhaust had plenty of capacity so it was not necessary. My 2014 and 2023 XLT's were set up identically from the factory, eventually turning into a 3" factory exhaust as the cylinder banks were joined.

Never did it. Ford has an integrated package for my 2023 to 700 hp. I figure I don't need it either. No telling where that thing might end up if I poked it in something different than a gradual straight line run I would probably be 3 states over by the time it quit spinning. It would damn sure be fun.

I ran a CTS V with 556 hp/552 ft lbs of torque and my current Z06 has 650/650. They are really fun, but the nannies work better in them than they do in any pickup truck.

OP
OP

elesthree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 RCSB 4x4 5.0
Never had the experience but I was sniffing around with Hennessy for a supercharger for my 2014 5.0. It boosted to about 720 hp according to them. I asked about exhaust replacement. He said the factory exhaust had plenty of capacity so it was not necessary. My 2014 and 2023 XLT's were set up identically from the factory, eventually turning into a 3" factory exhaust as the cylinder banks were joined.

Never did it. Ford has an integrated package for my 2023 to 700 hp. I figure I don't need it either. No telling where that thing might end up if I poked it in something different than a gradual straight line run I would probably be 3 states over by the time it quit spinning. It would damn sure be fun.

I ran a CTS V with 556 hp/552 ft lbs of torque and my current Z06 has 650/650. They are really fun, but the nannies work better in them than they do in any pickup truck.
I've seen where people have catalytic failures on both the factory supercharged applications, Roush 2650 and Whipple 3.0. It seems the tune for these are pretty rich and conservative which ends up leaving a ton of unburnt fuel deposits inside the cats and clogging after 30k miles or so. I can't say for sure as I have never been there personally. I don't think that will be a big contributing factor for me, as I don't plan on using a canned rich tune, however, I do understand that excessive heat and boost will eventually be a problem.

The first thing I usually do when adding boost is ditch the cats. However, in this case, I dont want another loud vehicle. I've had a 1200whp Camaro and a 650whp CTS-V, and the smell and noise that comes from removing the cats, is not what I want for this truck. I'd rather dial the boost back to be moderate and keep the noise down.

Also, the quoted hp figures for those are 700 crank hp, so they make ~550 wheel. I'd like a good bit more than that. Was hoping I could make 700 wheel HP through the cats.

I also found a company that makes a ported stock exhaust manifold. Could be helpful.

https://oztuning.com/product/spd-performance-ported-2015-2021-5-0l-coyote-exhaust-manifolds/

Does anyone make a catless mid pipe for the 5.0? I found them for the 3.5 EB, but not 5.0

Eighthtry

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
Plus the blower can be installed by any Ford dealer and is covered by the Ford Warranty.

Eighthtry

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
I just looked at the oztuning header website. Impressive parts, but I would think twice before putting those things on. One of the warnings was Cancer and Reproductiive Harm. I don't know exactly what that means, but I need all of my parts still working.

Sponsored

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
I've seen where people have catalytic failures on both the factory supercharged applications, Roush 2650 and Whipple 3.0. It seems the tune for these are pretty rich and conservative which ends up leaving a ton of unburnt fuel deposits inside the cats and clogging after 30k miles or so.
I have the same concern. I have the FP/Whipple 700/590 kit. Most likely the canned tune is richer than a custom tune, is that to keep the CATs cool? The Ford kit claims it passes their 100K endurance testing. It sounds good, but I'm not sure what all that entails. How can I tell if my CATs are OK? Is it better to go with a custom tune?

2whiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150, 2001 Ford SVT F-150 Lightning
I've seen where people have catalytic failures on both the factory supercharged applications, Roush 2650 and Whipple 3.0. It seems the tune for these are pretty rich and conservative which ends up leaving a ton of unburnt fuel deposits inside the cats and clogging after 30k miles or so. I can't say for sure as I have never been there personally. I don't think that will be a big contributing factor for me, as I don't plan on using a canned rich tune, however, I do understand that excessive heat and boost will eventually be a problem.

The first thing I usually do when adding boost is ditch the cats. However, in this case, I dont want another loud vehicle. I've had a 1200whp Camaro and a 650whp CTS-V, and the smell and noise that comes from removing the cats, is not what I want for this truck. I'd rather dial the boost back to be moderate and keep the noise down.

Also, the quoted hp figures for those are 700 crank hp, so they make ~550 wheel. I'd like a good bit more than that. Was hoping I could make 700 wheel HP through the cats.

I also found a company that makes a ported stock exhaust manifold. Could be helpful.

https://oztuning.com/product/spd-performance-ported-2015-2021-5-0l-coyote-exhaust-manifolds/

Does anyone make a catless mid pipe for the 5.0? I found them for the 3.5 EB, but not 5.0
2M Fab makes cat deletes. For the 21+ trucks the flange will need to be modified. Be careful with this company. I’ve never personally dealt with them, but they are VERY clear about asking EVERYONE to read their FAQs page prior to ordering one of their products and they seem to get a lot of joy out of publicly humiliating customers on their FB page for asking “stupid questions” that were answered on their FAQs page and will purposely delay orders for customers asking where their shipment/tracking info is. YMMV.

This seems to be the only company willing to sell exhaust products for these trucks that don’t force you to purchase a catalytic converter option. They don’t seem to worry about three letter agencies.

@diambo4life, how many miles are on your setup? I’ve got the FP Whipple on my truck installed at 33mi. It has over 12k now. The FB page for High Perf 21+ F150s has me very concerned about the looming and seemingly inevitable converter failure. I like taking my truck on road trips that could be 3-4 thousand miles. I really don’t want to get stuck with a no name dealer in BFE working through repairs. Guys that don’t even track their trucks or run them hard are having them fail, anywhere from 7k-30k miles. I monitor boost and inferred catalyst temp on my Banks iDash with 12 PSI and 1700f alarms, hopefully that will help me prevent/catch a failure in progress.

Like the OP, after many cars with full off-road exhaust, I’m really just sick of noise, smell and headache of dealing with it all.

Last edited:

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
they are VERY clear about asking EVERYONE to read their FAQs page prior to ordering one of their products and they seem to get a lot of joy out of publicly humiliating customers on their FB page for asking “stupid questions” that were answered on their FAQs page
I can attest to the ignorance of the average customer. Even really simple things like making sure your address is correct -- that can be up to a 10% failure rate alone. There's a lot of intelligent and semi intelligent folks out there, but make no mistake, a handful of dumb ones really complicate online business. 10% of customers can consume 90% of one's time.

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
@diambo4life, how many miles are on your setup? I’ve got the FP Whipple on my truck installed at 33mi. It has over 12k now. The FB page for High Perf 21+ F150s has me very concerned about the looming and seemingly inevitable converter failure. I like taking my truck on road trips that could be 3-4 thousand miles. I really don’t want to get stuck with a no name dealer in BFE working through repairs. Guys that don’t even track their trucks or run them hard are having them fail, anywhere from 7k-30k miles. I monitor boost and inferred catalyst temp on my Banks iDash with 12 PSI and 1700f alarms, hopefully that will help me prevent/catch a failure in progress.

Like the OP, after many cars with full off-road exhaust, I’m really just sick of noise, smell and headache of dealing with it all.
Well...one can't have your cake and eat it too. :) Stock cats will most likely eventually fail due to heat....me thinks. My truck has almost 7000 miles of being boosted. Even though it does see its fair share of Mexico runs, outside that, I don't really romp on it much. It's fast enough to get me in trouble real quick and I don't like slowing down a land yacht from triple digit speeds on the street. I will have a potential 1000whp Mustang for those shenanigans. I might eventually install a catless y pipe in there though. I am still undecided. I like its mild/sleeper demeanor with respect to its tone.

5.0Screw22

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 5.0 Stage 2 Whipple
I've been considering options to address my cat concerns as well. I saw that recently SPD released a new catted y-pipe for the Gen 14 5.0 trucks. I am considering one of these , but I have not seen or talked to anyone who has installed one of these. Man do I hate being the guinea pig!

2021 - 2024 Ford 5.0L Coyote F-150 Alpha Catted Y Pipe

I may try one of these in the next few months. It seems like it may be a good middle ground between stock cats and cat delete.

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Bronco, KTM 1290R
I've been considering options to address my cat concerns as well. I saw that recently SPD released a new catted y-pipe for the Gen 14 5.0 trucks. I am considering one of these , but I have not seen or talked to anyone who has installed one of these. Man do I hate being the guinea pig!

2021 - 2024 Ford 5.0L Coyote F-150 Alpha Catted Y Pipe

I may try one of these in the next few months. It seems like it may be a good middle ground between stock cats and cat delete.
I mentioned that SPD Alpha set-up in another thread and keeping an eye out for people who've bought it and their experience with it.

SPD's other down-pipe set up with the GESI cat option is roughly $500 more than the Alpha set-up with it's unknown / unproven cats. The biggest drawback the other set-up is you're basically making a true-dual exhaust using parts from Gen 2 Raptor exhausts and custom fab from your local exhaust shop.

The Alpha's advantage is that it can use most Aftermarket cat-back exhausts. The one I like the most is the MBRP 4" cat-back that exits behind the rear wheel, but it may be a bit too loud for some.
It's hard to tell from the YT videos.

5.0Screw22

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 5.0 Stage 2 Whipple
I am hoping to find someone that has installed one. The fact that the Alpha Cats are a bolt in with my existing system is a plus. I already have a custom exhaust system that I love and I do not want to replace it again. I expect some sound increase with the SPD y-pipe, but I don't think it wiil be too much.
Sponsored