Sponsored

Pro Power Upgrade - I May Have No Choice - Anybody?

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
Consider having a truck shipped; this will open up your search canvas to the continental US.

I found the truck I wanted 10hrs away and when I mentioned I'd fly out (~$150 plane ticket) to pick it up they told me they'd ship it to me at their cost. Two weeks later and a man with an obviously-overloaded F150 showed up with my truck on a trailer.

photo_2024-01-10_10-46-49.jpg
Yeesh that guy resting his tailgate on that jack makes my skin crawl... Glad it got there safely.
:)
Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
If you went to a dealership when you first started looking and ordered what you wanted, you'd probably have it by now. Unless a dealer has exactly what you want, it's close enough you don't care, or you need it ASAP, I don't understand not wanting to order it to your liking. This is especially true when I read about people spending months searching for what they want.

Given the low relative cost and huge added functionality benefit, I don't understand why the 2.4 system is offered, and why dealerships don't check the 7.2 box for all their stock orders.

OP
OP

dafish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB KR SCREW, '18 Lariat SCREW
Occupation
Mostly retired IT Pro - Cyber-IPT
To convert a 2.4 to 7.2kW is about $1k the last 2 times this question was asked.
thanks! Easily worth that! not even a question. Any tips on a thread getting into the parts and process?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
thanks! Easily worth that! not even a question. Any tips on a thread getting into the parts and process?
If you search threads you should find it. You need to swap the inverter itself, easy to do, it's under the truck in front of the right rear tire. You also need to change out the plug assembly in the bed. If you find the other threads, I believe I put the parts number in them. You need to make a forscan change in the APIM as well so it knows it's the bigger inverter.

You should power down the high voltage circuit before doing the swap. Ask when/if you have the parts. If it took longer than 30 minutes to do the swap, I'd be surprised.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
This is especially true when I read about people spending months searching for what they want.
Yah if I could have found or even ordered a '23 that was a 'real' Platinum, I would have stroked a check in two seconds, but I was not getting a Plat with no MCS, no HSW (it's currently -1° degrees right now) or other deletes.
I still think it's pretty crappy Ford sold a trim level to people without parts that make it that trim level. That's like selling a '66 Mustang Fastback GT minus the KCode engine.
They should have honored parts and install to customers when available.

Sponsored

OP
OP

dafish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
If you went to a dealership when you first started looking and ordered what you wanted, you'd probably have it by now. Unless a dealer has exactly what you want, it's close enough you don't care, or you need it ASAP, I don't understand not wanting to order it to your liking. This is especially true when I read about people spending months searching for what they want.
Is there some reason you felt a need to reply with absolutely no content knowledge or expertise to add? Bored? Figured you know my needs better than I do and you're fit to criticize? To say nothing of the number of assumptions made. Of course we all know what they say about those right? I suppose we can agree on one thing: Yep, you don't understand.

As to why, not that I need to explain myself, but what the heck:

1) 2023 order banks were closed when I entered the market.
2) The '24 KR interior color is ugly. Nope.
3) The '24 dropped trailer tow mirrors and max tow. Both things I want (yes, I know about Max Tow. I also know what's in the HDPP package).
4) I've since reserved a Ramcharger. Odds are high the Powerboost will now be a 1-2 year interim truck. Buying a new truck would be a pretty lousy financial strategy.
5) While I can afford a new truck, not everybody can.
6) Ford and their content delete's can KMA. I've read enough to know I'm not buying a new Ford anytime soon.

So yea, not only not the post topic, but a pretty bad idea to boot.

OP
OP

dafish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
If you search threads you should find it. You need to swap the inverter itself, easy to do, it's under the truck in front of the right rear tire. You also need to change out the plug assembly in the bed. If you find the other threads, I believe I put the parts number in them. You need to make a forscan change in the APIM as well so it knows it's the bigger inverter.

You should power down the high voltage circuit before doing the swap. Ask when/if you have the parts. If it took longer than 30 minutes to do the swap, I'd be surprised.
Well I'll be darned. I read a LOT before I post, was pretty sure I'd read all the quality ProPower threads by know. Including your discussion (as I recall) on dropping the ground when connecting to a house (which you may recall I considered a reasonable decision given the situation). I've seen a post of the guy that got a 2.4 delivered that was ordered an a 7.2 that Ford made right, and another post with every possible component listed. I've never seen one contrasting the 2.4 parts as delivered against the 7.2 parts needed OR a post that it's ever been done.

That said your posts I've read suggest you have a really good handle on these things, so I guess more the fool I am, and more searching is needed. Should you happen to run across the thread you're thinking of along the way I'd appreciate a link.

Thanks,

-d

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well I'll be darned. I read a LOT before I post, was pretty sure I'd read all the quality ProPower threads by know. Including your discussion (as I recall) on dropping the ground when connecting to a house (which you may recall I considered a reasonable decision given the situation). I've seen a post of the guy that got a 2.4 delivered that was ordered an a 7.2 that Ford made right, and another post with every possible component listed. I've never seen one contrasting the 2.4 parts as delivered against the 7.2 parts needed OR a post that it's ever been done.

That said your posts I've read suggest you have a really good handle on these things, so I guess more the fool I am, and more searching is needed. Should you happen to run across the thread you're thinking of along the way I'd appreciate a link.

Thanks,

-d
I'll see if I can locate it, I spec'd parts for someone wanting to upgrade their lightning as well -- quite a bit more expensive as it needs a primary HV harness swap. This forum's search sucks, some of it was buried in my PMs

You need this
https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/CONVERTER-ASSEMBLY---VOLTAGE/105876907/ML3Z14G649D.html

and this to convert 2.4 to 7.2
https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/Ford__/Drive-Motor-Battery-Pack-Charger/133925387/MU5Z19A464L.html

Ignore the dumb descriptors, those are the parts for-sure. Even ford's part site is retarded

Ford F-150 Pro Power Upgrade - I May Have No Choice - Anybody? 1705280969586

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Is there some reason you felt a need to reply with absolutely no content knowledge or expertise to add? Bored? Figured you know my needs better than I do and you're fit to criticize? To say nothing of the number of assumptions made. Of course we all know what they say about those right? I suppose we can agree on one thing: Yep, you don't understand.

3) The '24 dropped trailer tow mirrors and max tow. Both things I want (yes, I know about Max Tow. I also know what's in the HDPP package).
4) I've since reserved a Ramcharger. Odds are high the Powerboost will now be a 1-2 year interim truck. Buying a new truck would be a pretty lousy financial strategy.
6) Ford and their content delete's can KMA. I've read enough to know I'm not buying a new Ford anytime soon.

You didn't say anything about needing to get a '23 or having issues with packaging/options of the '24. Your original post is just as helpful as mine. There's no mention of anything other than King Ranch trim and 7.2kw ProPower. Maybe next time consider adding all your restrictions to your post and you'll get a better response.

I'm also not sure what magic you expected to find here or anywhere else in searching for a truck. Unless you have access to Ford's dealer system which may provide slightly better search capabilities, you're stuck using typical car search sites to find what you need and they all have issues and limitations.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

You'd be best off finding a truck on autotrader. I'd suggest a job 1 22 before it got hit with deletes. Most listings on autotrader have a carfax link, in the carfax link at the bottom is the window sticker to tell you what's on it and what's deleted. Just the massage seat delete is $2k and a few hours to add back. Certain forum members can pull the work history of the truck to make sure it's not a lemon, particularly important for a PB. Furthermore you're still able to add a ESP on the cheap. 22s can also easily tune if you desire.

You don't want the first year of any new vehicle so you're looking to keep it until at least 2026. A job 1 22 is the most logical choice for $ to perf.

Sponsored

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

@dafish
Just ignore him... most of us do.... When your OP is "Thinking about upgrading 2.4 to 7.2, has anyone done it?" And someone replies, "Well you shoulda ordered it", is a pretty loud scream of, "I have nothing to add but being a troll."
I know it comes as a surprise to some but historically, order banks for the next years autos open in the summer with first builds being available in Aug\Sept or October maybe?
Clearly, well to most of us, there has been a HUGE gap between '23 and '24 builds, but apparently you should have known 18 months ago you wanted a specific truck and ordered it, even tho that said KR would be stripped of many items that makes it a KR... I guess you can also put in an order for a '24 and still wait who knows how long for that to be built, then delivered.

OP
OP

dafish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I'll see if I can locate it, I spec'd parts for someone wanting to upgrade their lightning as well -- quite a bit more expensive as it needs a primary HV harness swap. This forum's search sucks, some of it was buried in my PMs

You need this
https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/CONVERTER-ASSEMBLY---VOLTAGE/105876907/ML3Z14G649D.html

and this to convert 2.4 to 7.2
https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/Ford__/Drive-Motor-Battery-Pack-Charger/133925387/MU5Z19A464L.html

Ignore the dumb descriptors, those are the parts for-sure. Even ford's part site is retarded

1705280969586.png

Many Many Thanks!!

OP
OP

dafish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
You'd be best off finding a truck on autotrader. I'd suggest a job 1 22 before it got hit with deletes. Most listings on autotrader have a carfax link, in the carfax link at the bottom is the window sticker to tell you what's on it and what's deleted. Just the massage seat delete is $2k and a few hours to add back. Certain forum members can pull the work history of the truck to make sure it's not a lemon, particularly important for a PB. Furthermore you're still able to add a ESP on the cheap. 22s can also easily tune if you desire.

You don't want the first year of any new vehicle so you're looking to keep it until at least 2026. A job 1 22 is the most logical choice for $ to perf.
I agree across the board, and I look daily. Long beds are relatively rare, and my insistence on a King Ranch makes it harder. What few I find are from Canada and that's bad news too. I look on Facebook Marketplace and Car Guru's daily too. This thread is about understanding the cost of compromise. Three examples:

1) I could replace standard outside mirrors with aftermarket tow mirrors. That appears to be in the $1k range, and I now no longer require that as a minumum.
2) I could add back in MCS seats. I've seen that closer to $3K and a lot of man-hours. Nope.
3) The remaining was upgrading Pro Power, and thus this thread. If it's in the $1k-$1.5K range it's relatively viable and used parts would likely offset the cost of installation. Heck, I know where a very good truck is that's perfect save for the Pro Power, and if I knew I could get this done and working for under $1.5k I'd go buy it right now.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Although it's not your color, I drive your desired truck.
KingRanch Powerboost 157" 7.2KW 4WD CCD luxury yacht.

I even got lucky enough to get a early (Very early. Like week 1?) Job2 and zero deletes except the little chip in the IPMA necessary for Park Assist. Jesse has a simple enough fix for that if you really want to park hands free. :)

I really hope you find exactly what you are looking for. I impulse purchased my first personal use Powerboost (Platinum) a few days after acquiring an XL Powerboost "work truck" for the business I'm employed with.
About 6 months in, I knew that the Powerboost was a keeper, but I would want it to be exactly the trim/equipped truck I prefer. (I've never been a Platinum guy)

Took another 6 months for the KingRanch to arrive. It's EXACTLY what I wanted and I have been enamored with it from the first drive.

I know better than to declare that I'll keep any vehicle for many years, but it'll take some manufacture stepping up and building something that's really special to get me out of the Powerboost.

OP
OP

dafish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Although it's not your color, I drive your desired truck.
KingRanch Powerboost 157" 7.2KW 4WD CCD luxury yacht.

I even got lucky enough to get a early (Very early. Like week 1?) Job2 and zero deletes except the little chip in the IPMA necessary for Park Assist. Jesse has a simple enough fix for that if you really want to park hands free. :)

I really hope you find exactly what you are looking for. I impulse purchased my first personal use Powerboost (Platinum) a few days after acquiring an XL Powerboost "work truck" for the business I'm employed with.
About 6 months in, I knew that the Powerboost was a keeper, but I would want it to be exactly the trim/equipped truck I prefer. (I've never been a Platinum guy)

Took another 6 months for the KingRanch to arrive. It's EXACTLY what I wanted and I have been enamored with it from the first drive.

I know better than to declare that I'll keep any vehicle for many years, but it'll take some manufacture stepping up and building something that's really special to get me out of the Powerboost.

I'm not surprised at all. I'm doing my evening searches now... I'll keep the faith!
Sponsored