First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX, 2016 Accord Touring
Occupation
Accountant
I purchased and received the PPE tranny pan in black. While looking it over I noticed the following in three spots on the pan. The dimples go about halfway through the cast aluminum.
Opinions on this causing issues down the road? I’m thinking it’ll be ok I just want to be sure before I install it. PPE did send me an RA but I’m responsible for the cost of shipping this back to them via FedEx.

Thanks!

Ford F-150 PPE Deep Transmission Pan 7CCF15A7-3C5D-4A31-A8CD-02E6FBF238FD
Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I’d be more worried about any casting flaws that can’t be seen.

I wish that someone would make a stamped steel pan as an alternative to the plastic one. Cast aluminum can easily crack when a steel pan will just dent.

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
I purchased and received the PPE tranny pan in black. While looking it over I noticed the following in three spots on the pan. The dimples go about halfway through the cast aluminum.
Opinions on this causing issues down the road? I’m thinking it’ll be ok I just want to be sure before I install it. PPE did send me an RA but I’m responsible for the cost of shipping this back to them via FedEx.

Thanks!

7CCF15A7-3C5D-4A31-A8CD-02E6FBF238FD.jpeg
If you return it and PPE determines that the casting is defective, are they refunding your shipping cost? I would be worried also about flaws that I can't see, but I would not accept this unit especially at this price. If these flaws fail, they will do so at the most inopportune time and pee fluid out. If enough fluid drains out and your trans fails because of it, then Ford will definitely deny a warranty claim and God only knows how much one of these Tranny's cost. Do you constantly tow heavy items? I ask because why are you changing the trans pan, unless you plan on doing frequent oil changes. It does make the job less messy with a drain plug.

TJSparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT (302A) 5.0L RockyRidge K2

Thanks!

7CCF15A7-3C5D-4A31-A8CD-02E6FBF238FD.jpeg
That really sucks. I would NOT install it and demand that they cover all costs and discount you on a replacement. No way that unit should have gone out the door.

I installed one of these units on my truck as well. I got it for Christmas and I looked it over real well and its solid. I’ve had mine on for a few months without any issues.
Ford F-150 PPE Deep Transmission Pan 1680223240524

Ford F-150 PPE Deep Transmission Pan 1680223289229

Ford F-150 PPE Deep Transmission Pan 1680223322881

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bullett

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Accountant
I got the pan just to make it easier to change the fluid.
Not much towing other than my snowmobile trailer in the winter.
I went back and double checked and noticed even more of these things all throughout the pan. Kind of a bummer

OP
OP

Bullett

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Accountant
I bought it from Stage 3 Motorsports who had it drop shipped from them

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I'll go check mine again, as I didn't see any flaws upon first inspection but am now curious.

nkyhunter

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 bronco wildtrak, 2022 f150 tremor
Occupation
retired
so how are the trans pans holding up ?? also how much fluild can these pans hold?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bullett

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Accountant
The replacement they sent to me was flawless. I ended up not installing it though. It’s just sitting in my basement in a box. I’ll be listing it for sale soon

TJSparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
so how are the trans pans holding up ?? also how much fluild can these pans hold?
I have the regular pan which holds the stock amount. I’ve had no issues with mine. Been working great.

Last edited:

FirstFord

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCab 502A, 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
I installed one of these units on my truck as well. I got it for Christmas and I looked it over real well and its solid. I’ve had mine on for a few months without any issues.
Ford F-150 PPE Deep Transmission Pan 1680223240524-jpe

Ford F-150 PPE Deep Transmission Pan 1680223289229-jpe

Ford F-150 PPE Deep Transmission Pan 1680223322881-jpe
I am so glad you posted that - and with pics!!!

I am toying with the idea of installing an aftermarket pan (and a dipstick tube), but I'm undecided at this point. I pulled the fiber-material "skid plate" on my truck, and took a pretty hard look at the situation. I came away with some installation/application concerns, but some of them have been answered in the pictures of your installation.

- Initially, it looked like I would lose the heat shield - but your pictures answered that - no.
- I had questions as to if the stock OEM pan could be pulled and the aftermarket pan installed without disconnecting/pulling the exhaust crossover pipe. On my truck, there isn't much clearance between the two. You might have slightly more clearance. Did that pose a problem?
-Fitment of the transmission coolant lines: You have considerable more clearance than I do. My lines hug the pan pretty tight, and even go under the pan slightly. Did you have to modify (re-bend???) the lines?

Ford F-150 PPE Deep Transmission Pan Driver Side, Trans Coolant Line

- I also speculate that some of these concerns will grow if I opt for a deep pan with extra fluid capacity.

Anyone else gone through this? What were your experiences?

TJSparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am so glad you posted that - and with pics!!!

I am toying with the idea of installing an aftermarket pan (and a dipstick tube), but I'm undecided at this point. I pulled the fiber-material "skid plate" on my truck, and took a pretty hard look at the situation. I came away with some installation/application concerns, but some of them have been answered in the pictures of your installation.

- Initially, it looked like I would lose the heat shield - but your pictures answered that - no.
- I had questions as to if the stock OEM pan could be pulled and the aftermarket pan installed without disconnecting/pulling the exhaust crossover pipe. On my truck, there isn't much clearance between the two. You might have slightly more clearance. Did that pose a problem?
-Fitment of the transmission coolant lines: You have considerable more clearance than I do. My lines hug the pan pretty tight, and even go under the pan slightly. Did you have to modify (re-bend???) the lines?

Driver Side, Trans Coolant Line.jpg

- I also speculate that some of these concerns will grow if I opt for a deep pan with extra fluid capacity.

Anyone else gone through this? What were your experiences?
As far as the exhaust goes it may vary but you don't need to remove it on the 5.0L. With the 5.0L (like I have) you have to raise the transmission mount about 1 inch to get clearance for the pan. I believe the smaller engines don't need to do this. I didn't have to touch the cooler lines at all. Not sure on the V6 models.

There are several you tube videos on this procedure and will help guide you.

Ford 10R80 Ten Speed Transmission: Fluid and Filter Service Procedure - YouTube
Sponsored