Sponsored

Weird deep whirring sound + vibration

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 | 502a | 2.7 | Velocity Blue
I have been hearing a deep whirring sound coming from the front drivers area in the mornings and evenings on my way to work and back home. It usually happens when the truck is cold. After 5 min or so, perhaps when the drive warms up a little, the sound quickly goes away and I don't hear it for the rest of the drive. I took it to the dealer and they said they could find anything wrong, but between the sound and slight vibrations, it definitely does not seem right. Has anyone heard something similar and have insight into this?

Here is the video. May have to turn up the volume. Google Drive Link
Sponsored

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 PB XLT FX4 in Avalanche
I have something similar but mine sounds more like a bad wheel bearing — yours flutters a bit. They replaced left front IWE and it still does it, but only when switching out of 4H, then I get the noise for the next few miles until restarting the truck or toggling 2H / 4H another time or two. Something is not disengaging properly.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have something similar but mine sounds more like a bad wheel bearing — yours flutters a bit. They replaced left front IWE and it still does it, but only when switching out of 4H, then I get the noise for the next few miles until restarting the truck or toggling 2H / 4H another time or two. Something is not disengaging properly.
Hey there, Richard! This doesn't sound like the kind of experience we want you to have. Feel free to send over a private message with your VIN and dealership info at your earliest convenience. I can look into things on my end.

OP
OP
bluecarbon7362
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you feel any vibration when the noise is present?

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you feel any vibration when the noise is present?
Ever so slight, but not the vibration I’ve posted about most (vibration / grinding in gas pedal). That comes and goes regardless, so I’m not sure that they are related. Second dealer visit next week.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bluecarbon7362
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ever so slight, but not the vibration I’ve posted about most (vibration / grinding in gas pedal). That comes and goes regardless, so I’m not sure that they are related. Second dealer visit next week.
I just looked at your post. That's quite the thread. It's disappointing to hear so many owners having these types issues. I'd say the feeling through my pedals (both gas and brake) is light. When present, the sound/vibration happens during acceleration, steady speed and deacceleration. Next time this happens, I should do what you did and engage a 2wd to 4wd shift and see if that makes a difference.

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just looked at your post. That's quite the thread. It's disappointing to hear so many owners having these types issues. I'd say the feeling through my pedals (both gas and brake) is light. When present, the sound/vibration happens during acceleration, steady speed and deacceleration. Next time this happens, I should do what you did and engage a 2wd to 4wd shift and see if that makes a difference.
I can almost always replicate it by switching into and out of 4H via the push button option… then get up to 45 MPH and I hear the sound in 2H. Switching into and out of 4H via the drive / off road modes selector doesn’t seem to seem to produce the noise. Let us know what you find!

OP
OP
bluecarbon7362
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I can almost always replicate it by switching into and out of 4H via the push button option… then get up to 45 MPH and I hear the sound in 2H. Switching into and out of 4H via the drive / off road modes selector doesn’t seem to seem to produce the noise. Let us know what you find!
That's interesting, but makes it more difficult to track down. I am really interested to hear what your dealer has to say after your second visit. It's a good thing you can duplicate it easily. For me, by the time I get to the dealer, the noise is gone.

On my way home today I pressed the 4H button after the noise started. No change. Then I pressed 2H and the pitch of the sound increased so there appears to be a link to the 4wd system. Here is the video.

I am gathering that this is a common issue, but there does not appear to be a fix. Quite disappointing.

MN_Hockey_Fan

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
09/14/21 F150, 10 Expedition
I have been hearing a deep whirring sound coming from the front drivers area in the mornings and evenings on my way to work and back home. It usually happens when the truck is cold. After 5 min or so, perhaps when the drive warms up a little, the sound quickly goes away and I don't hear it for the rest of the drive. I took it to the dealer and they said they could find anything wrong, but between the sound and slight vibrations, it definitely does not seem right. Has anyone heard something similar and have insight into this?

Here is the video. May have to turn up the volume. Google Drive Link
Looks like your link is no longer available. I have mine in for what I think is the same thing. 2021 502A Package with the V8. I dropped it off tonight so hopefully they hear and feel it in the morning.

OP
OP
bluecarbon7362
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My apologies on the disappearing link. I may have accidentally deleted it. I uploaded a new video that I took this morning. The drivetrain hum is not as noticeable in this video, but it's there.
Video Link

This issue pretty much disappeared as the summer rolled around. The truck received a few software updates around the beginning of the summer, so I figured Ford took care of the issue with one of the updates. However, now that we're getting into winter and the temps are falling, the humming sound has returned, disappointingly. From what I am seeing, the updates had nothing to do with this issue going away, but rather, temperature is a factor here. How and why, I am not sure, but there appears to be a correlation. The truck went through the summer months without any of the whirring, humming sounds and slight vibrations, but as soon as the temps started dropping, the sound and vibration has returned.
Usually this happens after the truck has sat for a few hours, so it has had time to cool down. After driving the truck for 5 min or so, everything goes back to normal, so it's like the drivetrain needs to warm up a little or have fluid circulated a bit or something. I am not sure. Perhaps as the temps drop, fluids stiffen and take a little longer the circulate or something.

Please report back on how your dealer visit went.

Sponsored

MN_Hockey_Fan

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
09/14/21 F150, 10 Expedition
My apologies on the disappearing link. I may have accidentally deleted it. I uploaded a new video that I took this morning. The drivetrain hum is not as noticeable in this video, but it's there.
Video Link

This issue pretty much disappeared as the summer rolled around. The truck received a few software updates around the beginning of the summer, so I figured Ford took care of the issue with one of the updates. However, now that we're getting into winter and the temps are falling, the humming sound has returned, disappointingly. From what I am seeing, the updates had nothing to do with this issue going away, but rather, temperature is a factor here. How and why, I am not sure, but there appears to be a correlation. The truck went through the summer months without any of the whirring, humming sounds and slight vibrations, but as soon as the temps started dropping, the sound and vibration has returned.
Usually this happens after the truck has sat for a few hours, so it has had time to cool down. After driving the truck for 5 min or so, everything goes back to normal, so it's like the drivetrain needs to warm up a little or have fluid circulated a bit or something. I am not sure. Perhaps as the temps drop, fluids stiffen and take a little longer the circulate or something.

Please report back on how your dealer visit went.

That sounds like the same thing, but I hear mine more so at parking lot speeds and notice it more when turning. They certainly heard my concern the 1st morning but couldn't find an explanation for on the lift. It sat over the weekend and didn't make the noise the 2nd time they looked at it. I took it back yesterday and haven't heard it again either. They did say nothing was wrong with the 4WD or Steering components. I guess I'll capture a video the next time and bring it back.

OP
OP
bluecarbon7362
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hey @MN_Hockey_Fan any developments with your truck? My truck is getting worse! 🙁 Here is a new Video
This time, the sound can be heard fairly well in the video since it was louder than it has been before. I am going to take mine back to the dealer, but last time, they were not able to duplicate the issue. Here is hoping for round 2. 🤞

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
Just got my 22PB back from the dealer. 40K miles. Sound was getting pretty loud and the vibration was pretty decent at 70 plus. They replaced left front wheel bearing. Picked up truck. Was nice and quiet for about 30 miles and now it’s back. Even worse on highway above 70. Like driving on a cheese grater. Will call my service advisor on Monday morning to see what he says.

OP
OP
bluecarbon7362
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just got my 22PB back from the dealer. 40K miles. Sound was getting pretty loud and the vibration was pretty decent at 70 plus. They replaced left front wheel bearing. Picked up truck. Was nice and quiet for about 30 miles and now it’s back. Even worse on highway above 70. Like driving on a cheese grater. Will call my service advisor on Monday morning to see what he says.
I am sorry to hear that. Do you remember what the mileage was when the initial sound/vibration started? Hope they get it resolved for you.

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
I am sorry to hear that. Do you remember what the mileage was when the initial sound/vibration started? Hope they get it resolved for you.
Was around 35k or so. A couple months ago it started. As the weather started changing.
Sponsored