Sponsored

Powering my RV with the PowerBoost 7.2K Pro Power Onboard Generator

wpbear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB
I actually do not know which leg is which.
I do remember seeing some thread here where a fella pulled that distribution panel and sorted it out in an effort to extend it outside the tailgate from underneath the truck.
Really cool stuff.
Can't wait to see all the crazy ideas and clever methods for leveraging the amazing utility of this platform.
Ford F-150 Powering my RV with the PowerBoost 7.2K Pro Power Onboard Generator 20210727_190201~2

I'm planning on fitting a wire through the circled hole and get a flip up license plate bracket and wire it to the hitch area to plug in my trailer while driving.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm planning on fitting a wire through the circled hole and get a flip up license plate bracket and wire it to the hitch area to plug in my trailer while driving.
See, that's exactly what I meant. :)
Be sure to share here please.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Then what protects your weathertech mat? ? ?
A Weathertech tonneau cover!
It's slick too. Kinda pricey, but light as a feather, relatively, and super low profile.
(I believe that they are really Lomax tonneau cover rebadged. But for a trifold, they are very nice)

Ironically, I don't care for their interior mats. I like soft rubber under my boots. :)

Ford F-150 Powering my RV with the PowerBoost 7.2K Pro Power Onboard Generator Screenshot_20211220-214041_Edge

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum (job 2)
A Weathertech tonneau cover!
It's slick too. Kinda pricey, but light as a feather, relatively, and super low profile.

Ironically, I don't care for their interior mats. I like soft rubber under my boots. :)

Screenshot_20211220-214041_Edge.jpg
? dangerously unprotected, you say. Needs a topper over the tonneau cover protecting mat keeping the bed liner safe.

(I have the same tonneau cover. Enjoying it)
Ford F-150 Powering my RV with the PowerBoost 7.2K Pro Power Onboard Generator BB760AB1-383E-4AD3-B986-AD263896EC75

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
? dangerously unprotected, you say. Needs a topper over the tonneau cover protecting mat keeping the bed liner safe.

(I have the same tonneau cover. Enjoying it)
BB760AB1-383E-4AD3-B986-AD263896EC75.jpeg
Well if Ford wouldn't spray the bed with such gorgeous Platinum White Paint on the KingRanch!

By the way, after 4+ years of outdoor parking, as good as that anodized aluminum looks on that tonneau, I think you are on to something. Maybe Ceramic Coating the tonneau? ?

Great photo!

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 IcedBlueSilver Lightning 9.6kw PRO
Occupation
insurance
for the majority of large RV.s, the 50amp power is supplied by 240v 50amp double-pole breaker set from the campground. The RV's power panel, though, separates these into two separate and distinct 'sides' of power, meaning that one side will have a breaker for the front a/c unit, while the other side will have a breaker for the rear a/c unit, etc. These 'equals' out the power needs for the RV, giving both relatively the same usage of 50amp at 120volts for each side, or 100amps of 120v, all togther.
Rarely, some VERY large motorhomes will actually make use of 240v power, such as for a clothes dryer, and their main panel box works just like your home's main panel - 240volt power with some double-pole 240v breakers, and mostly single-pole 120v breakers.

the great thing about the design of the 240v 30amp output of the Ford trucks is the simplicity with which you can power almost ANY need you have, whether 'camping', or power tools, or providing critical heat and power during a winter power outage at home. 240v 30amp is PLENTY of power to cover so many things, all running at the same time.
When it comes to camping, there are MANY many different types of adapters for EVERY situation. 240v 30amp twist lock output from your truck to 240v 50amp Nema14-50, just like for large motorhomes or fifthwheels. The same with a 30amp 120v adapter, for the smaller campers. There are even 'Y' adapters to make use of TWO 20amp outlets to your camper, for up to 30amps of 120v power without even using the large 240v 30amp twist lock outlet. You can even MAKE your own adapter, as I have many times, if you do a little research and are confident of your abilities. : )

Having full-timed in our motorhome(50a 240v) for years, and seeing SO many various and differing types of 'power' to plug into, you learn VERY quickly what types of adapters you might want to keep on hand. During temperate whether, it's easy since your electrical needs are mundane, but in the draws of winter, for heat, and the wilds of summer, for a/c, it's a TOTALLY different story.

TechGodfather

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Chief Technology Advisor
Anyone have a picture of their generator a and b side in use with the 50amp dogbone adapter and their rv ac with other appliances running?

thanks

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer

TechGodfather

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Chief Technology Advisor
I did some testing here, not sure if it is what you are looking for? https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...irst-hookup-and-test-results.2698/#post-40100
Yes, that picture showing the draw on a/b was exactly what I was looking for. Amazing info and much appreciated.

It is so cool that you can run both a/c units with power to spare on that dogbone 50 adapter.

would love to hear how long a tank of gas lasts for people using dual a/c units in an rv along with everything else running. It’s going to be a swag because of usage but generally would be good to see.

Thanks!

Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Yes, that picture showing the draw on a/b was exactly what I was looking for. Amazing info and much appreciated.

It is so cool that you can run both a/c units with power to spare on that dogbone 50 adapter.

would love to hear how long a tank of gas lasts for people using dual a/c units in an rv along with everything else running. It’s going to be a swag because of usage but generally would be good to see.

Thanks!
It used to be getting fuel was the last thing we did on our way out of a campsite.

Now with the PPoB, getting fuel is the first thing we do in the way in.

glockcopbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Project Manager
I have run my Camper AC on the single phase 30A circuit for 8hrs overnight. It only used 1/2 a tank. The power display showed only 25A peak on the B circuit.

I didn’t really need the AC as it was 78 but I wanted to test the system and see if the truck would wake me up during the night.

included are photos of my camper cable ends and the adapter I purchased.

Ford F-150 Powering my RV with the PowerBoost 7.2K Pro Power Onboard Generator 94A34186-E90B-42D7-BF13-97D6A93F7CC6

Ford F-150 Powering my RV with the PowerBoost 7.2K Pro Power Onboard Generator 07F4C6B8-95DB-46BE-862D-AB7CCC3767B9

Ford F-150 Powering my RV with the PowerBoost 7.2K Pro Power Onboard Generator 52E8D6DE-0C70-4123-B3C2-B405AEF82732

wayne b

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB
Not sure if this fully user error, a bug, or maybe needs a pop-up on the dash. Arriving at a sandy campground, switch to 4L. After parking proceed to plug in the trailer to Pro Power. The location was very loud, because it was so close to the waves / PCH highway. I noticed a few times that the truck was on, but wasn’t mentally keeping track until maybe 2 hours or realized that the engine remains idling at 1k in 4L the entire time, regardless of the state of battery charge? (Trailer was only using refrigerator not A/C, maybe 300 watts). Obviously this uses a lot of expensive gas. Turned off the truck, switched into “normal” and Pro Power acted normally again, cycled on / off a few times an hour for a few minutes.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wait, did you just switch to 4Low, or did you switch drivers mode also?

wayne b

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB
Wait, did you just switch to 4Low, or did you switch drivers mode also?
My wife was pulling into the spot while I was guiding and spun tires, so she switched into 4L (not "sand" mode). So part of the story was I didn't notice the 4x4 icon or noticed and didn't realize part of the 4L mode is to remain idling. Is that the explanation, in a 4x4 mode it doesn't idle, but if you manually select 4L it does idle?
Sponsored