Sponsored

Powerboost with no generator?

capetownkg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150, Lariat, PowerBoost, SuperCrew, 6.5’
Has anyone ever seen a powerboost without the generator before. A buddy is looking at trucks and found one and there is no mention of it on the window sticker. He also said the dealer said it didnt have one.

I was under the assumption it had to have the 2kw at the minimum but idk.
Sponsored

OP
OP

capetownkg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150, Lariat, PowerBoost, SuperCrew, 6.5’
Here is the window sticker

Attachments

STM

First Name
SM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F 150 XLT
Occupation
Home Builder
The window sticker says it is a powerboost.. Which means it has an electric motor / generator as well as a 1.5kwh battery..
It can support power draw of up to 2.4kwh...

Sponsored

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
You see the little thing that says:
"STANDARD EQUIPMENT INCLUDED AT NO EXTRA CHARGE"?
The 2.4Kw Generator is Standard Equipment for the Powerboost. If Pro Power is not listed in the options list, it's because the 7.2KW option was not elected for the truck.
Source:
I have a Powerboost with the 2.4KW generator.

DarkSkyForever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT, 2022 F150 701A (Ordered)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I can't imagine ordering one w/o the 7.2kw. That'd be like ordering a Shelby 500 GT and asking them to swap out the motor for an Ecoboost.
Well, maybe not that extreme, but it does seem to be a commonly equipped option.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I can't imagine ordering one w/o the 7.2kw. That'd be like ordering a Shelby 500 GT and asking them to swap out the motor for an Ecoboost.
I'm sure there's circumstances that I haven't thought of, but it doesn't make much sense to me why Ford even offers 7.2KW as optional. I'm not saying $750 isn't $750, but if it wasn't optional it would just be the cost of a Powerboost. :)

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
The upgrade is also a payload hit, and people try to pinch "pennies" on those yellow stickers so much as to give up max tow because the gen13 options sheet showed it as a 14# payload hit (even though the best info on it showed it was below-sprung components). (It wasn't until way later that someone inspected under the powerboost and found exact same stabilizers and axles as a max tow EB)

Intuitively, the beefier inverter and way thicker cabling I'd guess are 20# or so but when trying to reverse engineer the 7.2kW upgrade weight, it may be as much as 30-50#.

So if you don't plan to use it, it can save some $ and #.

Sponsored

Maggioa

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mazda CX 5, 2018 Hyundai
Occupation
Retired Air Force, Currently a Federal Employee
Has anyone ever seen a powerboost without the generator before. A buddy is looking at trucks and found one and there is no mention of it on the window sticker. He also said the dealer said it didnt have one.

I was under the assumption it had to have the 2kw at the minimum but idk.
I had an eco boost with the 2kw generator and it was okay for powering crockpots, lights, TVs but it couldn’t run my A/C or microwave in my camper. The issue was the generator couldn’t get pass the initial surge. However, I just turned that truck in for being a lemon (nothing to do with the generator).

I did just ordered a 2023 F-150 platinum without a generator. So the short answer you can get a truck without the generator.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I don't believe the Ecoboost comes with a generator of any kind, but rather an inverter that is simply using the 12V underhood battery.
The Powerboost is the only configuration with "generator mode" and comes in 2 inverter sizes. 2.4KW and 7.2KW

You probably could run an RV Air Conditioner with the 2.4KW, but it would require a softstart be installed on the AC.

You can't get a Hybrid F150 without generator mode.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
The 7.2kw inverter may be the most useful aspect of the PB. The extra mileage is great, but the ability to power a camper/welder/plasma cutter/big saws et c with a set of unobtrusive plugs in the truck bed is a huge deal. 14# is pretty small payload hit compared to a #150 generator.

MamboMinnow

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I don't believe the Ecoboost comes with a generator of any kind, but rather an inverter that is simply using the 12V underhood battery.
The Powerboost is the only configuration with "generator mode" and comes in 2 inverter sizes. 2.4KW and 7.2KW

You probably could run an RV Air Conditioner with the 2.4KW, but it would require a softstart be installed on the AC.

You can't get a Hybrid F150 without generator mode.
I have a PowerBoost with Standard 2.4Kw generator. Rented a camper this summer and I could not run the camper a/c beyond half fan speed or the generator would overload and trip the fuse.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I have a PowerBoost with Standard 2.4Kw generator. Rented a camper this summer and I could not run the camper a/c beyond half fan speed or the generator would overload and trip the fuse.
With the 2.4KW inverter to avoid overloading it, you would need to put a soft start module on the AC unit to cut the initial amp load by 50-60%. These devices also lower running amp draw by as much as 5-7 amps as well.
Sponsored