Truman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 150 Powerbost King Ranch
Occupation
Retired state trooper
Something like this?

Screenshot_2021-01-16 Amazon com SnowyFox 18 Inch RV Generator Adapter with Grip Handle - 30 A...png
Can you post a site to get this adapter. I have looked and looked and cant find this. it is exactly what i need
Sponsored

Led

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
Occupation
Engr
Can you post a site to get this adapter. I have looked and looked and cant find this. it is exactly what i need
I tested this adaptor with my voltage meter. It puts out 120 V from the 220 V outlet. This must mean the cable uses only one of the 120 V feeds on the 4 pin plug. I don't understand why the operating manual cautions not to plug in an RV to the truck.
Ford F-150 Powering my RV with the PowerBoost 7.2K Pro Power Onboard Generator 1615993519469
Ford F-150 Powering my RV with the PowerBoost 7.2K Pro Power Onboard Generator 1615993684614

Truman

First Name
Truman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired state trooper
That is exactly what I am planning on doing with mine when the adapter comes in I also found a great deal at
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-...m-msg-id=056775f8-0c97-4636-b974-03d25e0ba1a0.
I am thinking that Ford just wants to be safe from law suits with that disclaimer. I don't see a problem with using one leg of the 220 V 30 amp side of the plug. That is exactly what the 120V 20 amp plugs are doing. Only using one leg of the feed. Also there is NO way possible to back feed anything if you just plug the camper into the truck.....there are no electrical utilities involved. Now there is a way to back feed down the power line if you improperly connect the generator to you home electrical system...in that case you can hurt people

Last edited:

Sponsored

Truman

First Name
Truman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired state trooper
I’m curious on this. Would like to power a camper with the 7.2kw but not sure if the 220 is needed or if you can run the AC, or get it started with 3.6kw? I’m new to camper AC units. Most of the time there would be a hookup, but this would open possibilities.
If you have a 30 amp plug on your camper 3600 watts is the max you can pull anyway. 120 volts X 30 amps = 3600. some people think they can use a 50 amp pigtail on their 30 amp camper plug and get more than 3600 watts but that is not possible. 30 amps is 30 amps, What I am planning on doing to power my camper is get a splitter for my 240 plug in the truck and just use one of the 120 legs to power my camper. then plug my camper into the converter plug and then plug my camper into that. I have the link to the pigtail and 30 amp extension cord if you need it

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
that's the one i got. works fine and takes up zero space.
Since that one is fixed and zero flex (like a dogbone allows), what orientation does that force your 30A cord once you twist lock it in? Just curious

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
Since that one is fixed and zero flex (like a dogbone allows), what orientation does that force your 30A cord once you twist lock it in? Just curious
That cable is so long that it will naturally twist and flex without issue.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
That cable is so long that it will naturally twist and flex without issue.
I get that, I was curious if it forces the cord initially down, initially up, or to either side. I think I would want mine forcing the cord up. I have a bed extender I have to swing out of the way and it's tight so I had to get dogbone. May help others decide, if they have obstacles in the bed too.

Sponsored

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I get that, I was curious if it forces the cord initially down, initially up, or to either side. I think I would want mine forcing the cord up. I have a bed extender I have to swing out of the way and it's tight so I had to get dogbone. May help others decide, if they have obstacles in the bed too.
No. It's such a short adapter that it has virtually zero impact on the cord when plugged in. It's as close to directly plugging the RV power cable into the outlet as possible.

What could be an issue is those (like me) with a tonneau cover if you're trying to connect to your RV/Travel Trailer with that cover closed. Might need to create a notch somewhere prior to closing and locking the cover. But that's for another thread!

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
No. It's such a short adapter that it has virtually zero impact on the cord when plugged in. It's as close to directly plugging the RV power cable into the outlet as possible.

What could be an issue is those (like me) with a tonneau cover if you're trying to connect to your RV/Travel Trailer with that cover closed. Might need to create a notch somewhere prior to closing and locking the cover. But that's for another thread!
:ROFLMAO: Maybe I'm not phrasing my question right, I didn't think it was this hard to answer.

Ok the nema L14-30 plug on the truck is not rotationally symmetric. One pin is keyed to there is only one orientation you can plug it in. I cannot tell on your adapter where the keyed prong is, so I don't know how it orients when you plug it into your truck.

On the nema TT-30 plug, when you plug into the female side of your adapter, your shore power cable always goes out the direction between the 2 flat angled prongs, opposite side of the round ground prong.

So my question was: When you plug in that fixed adapter (there is only one way you can do this) what is the orientation of the female TT-30 prongs, e.g. what direction does the cord get forced when you connect your shore power cable into it?

I agree on the tonneau issue! Wouldn't it be sweet if you can send it into the tailgate and up and out the C-clamp hole? Haha. I actually considered waiting for bright sunlight and seeing where the largest gap is in the tailgate when it closes to see if it fits the diameter of a cord. I highly doubt it though, especially a 50A cord.

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
trying to help.
Here is a link to prior thread/photo with the trailer cord plugged in: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...am-with-gen14-and-propower-7-2.776/post-32864
Here is a picture of my outlet and with the plug in.
Hope that helps.

The cord when I'm plugged in runs towards the cab, and not the tailgate.
IMG_2026.jpg
IMG_2025.jpg
Perfect! So this sends your cord forward toward the cab. That is probably the best because up would have the cap in the way, facing tailgate forces a sharp bend, and facing down likely also forces a sharp bend.

Sorry for all the confusion!

Mrtosh

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 powerboost
If you have a 30 amp plug on your camper 3600 watts is the max you can pull anyway. 120 volts X 30 amps = 3600. some people think they can use a 50 amp pigtail on their 30 amp camper plug and get more than 3600 watts but that is not possible. 30 amps is 30 amps, What I am planning on doing to power my camper is get a splitter for my 240 plug in the truck and just use one of the 120 legs to power my camper. then plug my camper into the converter plug and then plug my camper into that. I have the link to the pigtail and 30 amp extension cord if you need it
Is your camper a 50 amp? Do you have the link to the splitter you mentioned?
Sponsored