Towing an Airstream with Gen14, and ProPower 7.2

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
I'm purchasing a Platinum Powerboost with 7.2kW ProPower for the primary reason of towing my 23' Airstream Flying Cloud. Starting this thread so that other Airstream and non-Airstream travel trailer can start to share ideas of what works, what doesn't, what might, etc., while taking advantage of this industry changing power source.

I realize that the thread will be mostly speculation until we have the new F150 in our driveways and garages. But I'm hoping that the experienced and inexperienced members of this group find this thread to share what they are learning.

Doesn't need to be limited to the ProPower on board. Tell us about handling, weight distribution, etc.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the "option" of plugging in my Airstream and running the ridge, etc., while heading to campsites, and thereby saving on the LP (maybe even fire up the AC?). Also looking how well the truck handles as an alternative to 30amp shore power.

Going to be fun!
Sponsored

mike001va

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 f150
Occupation
retired
I'm buying the powerboost 7.2 with max tow package to pull my Heartland Mallard M32 (35ft) I have dry camped many time with a simple 6500 watt generator running on the 30 amp plug. running tv.. fridge, A/c ,lights, and hot water tank.. its never tripped the breaker ..so.. 7.2/30amps should be no problem I believe.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I'm buying the powerboost 7.2 with max tow package to pull my Heartland Mallard M32 (35ft) I have dry camped many time with a simple 6500 watt generator running on the 30 amp plug. running tv.. fridge, A/c ,lights, and hot water tank.. its never tripped the breaker ..so.. 7.2/30amps should be no problem I believe.
Holy cow what is the GVWR on that bad boy? It sounds like a beast!

I'm purchasing a Platinum Powerboost with 7.2kW ProPower for the primary reason of towing my 23' Airstream Flying Cloud. Starting this thread so that other Airstream and non-Airstream travel trailer can start to share ideas of what works, what doesn't, what might, etc., while taking advantage of this industry changing power source.
Is your power plug near the front of the rig? I may have considered plugging while driving but the power routing or re-tooling the electric on the trailer is not worth it, we have a dual mode fridge (propane while driving). The only 2 things potentially for running the 30A while driving are the small outdoor fridge, or the A/C. We are migrating the dogs into the trailer with dog beds and maxxfan for airflow to take weight off the truck axles, but A/C would be a bonus so we can drive mid day on 100 degree days if required. (today we cannot due to them going in the camper shell with no A/C)

I have an Imagine 2800BH (32ft, 7995# GVWR) and it has towed beautifully for 6k miles so far. I hope that the upgraded creature comfort truck will make >5hr trip legs much less complainy. I am upgrading the tires and axles on the trailer this winter, and looking at possible ways to move heavy stuff from the tongue storage to the rear. I bought a tongue scale after reading all these forums and was in shock it was 1000# (with the WD hitch placed on the tongue to include). I am removing 400# of shell and dogs from my XLT to offset the lower payload of the new truck. My teens would love it if we dropped them as cargo but I'm stuck with them for a few more years (they will be glad someday!)

Towing features I'm looking forward to:
* 600 more pounds of curb weight on the truck for less being tossed around in winds
* 4WD and hill descent control (I had 2WD before)
* Trailer BLIS (was not an option for <Lariat trims)
* Integrated tow mirrors (I used snap-ons before)
* Obviously the 7.2kW pro-power for boondocking or quick lunch breaks at a rest stop, with A/C and microwave!
* As a 2nd order to Pro-power, if we are plugged in I can use the app (I think?) to monitor the current consumption and write down what every appliance consumes using my handy dandy label maker! (my wife is gonna HATE all the labels I will print for each appliance) This current is much harder using my Surge protector, which displays both 50A circuits but only rounds to whole Amps, and I have to have a partner or keep walking outside to the pedestal and back inside. It is sometimes surprising how much a coffeemaker consumes and it will trip your 15A GFI if you have an electric heater running while making coffee (yes has happened twice but NOT from me)
* Hitch assist with even better camera (I just used my backup camera and guided myself trial and error)

mike001va

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 f150
Occupation
retired
Holy cow what is the GVWR on that bad boy? It sounds like a beast!

Is your power plug near the front of the rig? I may have considered plugging while driving but the power routing or re-tooling the electric on the trailer is not worth it, we have a dual mode fridge (propane while driving). The only 2 things potentially for running the 30A while driving are the small outdoor fridge, or the A/C. We are migrating the dogs into the trailer with dog beds and maxxfan for airflow to take weight off the truck axles, but A/C would be a bonus so we can drive mid day on 100 degree days if required. (today we cannot due to them going in the camper shell with no A/C)

I have an Imagine 2800BH (32ft, 7995# GVWR) and it has towed beautifully for 6k miles so far. I hope that the upgraded creature comfort truck will make >5hr trip legs much less complainy. I am upgrading the tires and axles on the trailer this winter, and looking at possible ways to move heavy stuff from the tongue storage to the rear. I bought a tongue scale after reading all these forums and was in shock it was 1000# (with the WD hitch placed on the tongue to include). I am removing 400# of shell and dogs from my XLT to offset the lower payload of the new truck. My teens would love it if we dropped them as cargo but I'm stuck with them for a few more years (they will be glad someday!)

Towing features I'm looking forward to:
* 600 more pounds of curb weight on the truck for less being tossed around in winds
* 4WD and hill descent control (I had 2WD before)
* Trailer BLIS (was not an option for <Lariat trims)
* Integrated tow mirrors (I used snap-ons before)
* Obviously the 7.2kW pro-power for boondocking or quick lunch breaks at a rest stop, with A/C and microwave!
* As a 2nd order to Pro-power, if we are plugged in I can use the app (I think?) to monitor the current consumption and write down what every appliance consumes using my handy dandy label maker! (my wife is gonna HATE all the labels I will print for each appliance) This current is much harder using my Surge protector, which displays both 50A circuits but only rounds to whole Amps, and I have to have a partner or keep walking outside to the pedestal and back inside. It is sometimes surprising how much a coffeemaker consumes and it will trip your 15A GFI if you have an electric heater running while making coffee (yes has happened twice but NOT from me)
* Hitch assist with even better camera (I just used my backup camera and guided myself trial and error)
dry weight 7000, 8500 gvwr I think.. my power plug is between the slides.. a little better than midway..I yank it down the road with a beefed up 2007 F150 with the 5.4.4x4 . It grunts sometime.. but never let me down.

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford F150 Lariat, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Prem
Ordered a Latiat Powerboost with the 7.2kw. I have a 28ft Keystone Hideout bumper pull. My biggest question with the generator is - the 120v outlets are 20amp, but the A/C and electric heater trip 20amp outlets and need 30amps. Only the 240v has the 30amp outlet. The trailer can only take 120v power. Any solutions anyone can think of?

Sponsored

OP
OP
dog_tired

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
Ordered a Latiat Powerboost with the 7.2kw. I have a 28ft Keystone Hideout bumper pull. My biggest question with the generator is - the 120v outlets are 20amp, but the A/C and electric heater trip 20amp outlets and need 30amps. Only the 240v has the 30amp outlet. The trailer can only take 120v power. Any solutions anyone can think of?
Great question. Any electrical engineers care to chime in?

mike001va

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 f150
Occupation
retired

I realize that the thread will be mostly speculation until we have the new F150 in our driveways and garages. But I'm hoping that the experienced and inexperienced members of this group find this thread to share what they are learning.

Doesn't need to be limited to the ProPower on board. Tell us about handling, weight distribution, etc.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the "option" of plugging in my Airstream and running the ridge, etc., while heading to campsites, and thereby saving on the LP (maybe even fire up the AC?). Also looking how well the truck handles as an alternative to 30amp shore power.

Going to be fun!
most definately..my favorite camping is dry camp..boondockin , away from the crowd.. not that I'm anti social.. but its a welcome relief

mike001va

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 f150
Occupation
retired
So you are saying you don't have 30 amp 230 plug in on-board

stimpy

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
You just need an adapter. 240v outlets are just two 120v poles with 180 degree phase difference. The adapter will pull 120v from only one pole.
Here is an example, but make sure to do your research first so you get the right plugs for your application.

NemaTech NEMA L14-30P Male to TT-30R Female 30 Amp 4-Prong Compact Locking Generator to RV Transfer Switch Inlet Box Adapter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GFQ2WM9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_3sb2FbA9NDX33?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sponsored

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
We are buying a similar configuration as a tow vehicle. Excited about it but also apprehensive about the low payload rating for the PB trucks. That's where most of our concerns lie.

We'd prefer to order a fairly loaded Platinum but might downgrade to KR base to gain some payload. At least that's what we are watching.

I would definitely advise you to estimate your payload needs before finalizing your order.

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford F150 Lariat, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Prem
You just need an adapter. 240v outlets are just two 120v poles with 180 degree phase difference. The adapter will pull 120v from only one pole.
Here is an example, but make sure to do your research first so you get the right plugs for your application.

NemaTech NEMA L14-30P Male to TT-30R Female 30 Amp 4-Prong Compact Locking Generator to RV Transfer Switch Inlet Box Adapter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GFQ2WM9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_3sb2FbA9NDX33?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
This is incredibly helpful. No one ever explained 240v like that. Thank you!!

mike001va

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 f150
Occupation
retired
the ProPower Onboard has one 240v 30amp outlet and four 120v 20amp (two outlets per receptacle)
E03290E9-FBDC-40EB-BDC8-56B1D9C178BC.jpeg
I was asking about the power port on the camper.. a camper that size should have a 120v/30amp plug in .. which goes to a breaker panel and just like your home, divides the power up to 120v. its basically plug and play...it may need the adapter, I have both .. as I have been to campgrounds that only run 30amp, where my camper is wired for 50.

Last edited:

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I was asking about the power port on the camper.. a camper that size should have a 240v/30amp plug in .. which goes to a breaker panel and just like your home, divides the power up to 120v. its basically plug and play...it may need the adapter, I have both .. as I have been to campgrounds that only run 30amp, where my camper is wired for 50.
I've never seen a camper with a 240V plug in! Is it from another country? I don't know where they would plug in around here as every pedestal I've ever seen is 20A, 30A, or 50A plugs at 120V.
Sponsored