Sponsored

Powerboost TSB Harsh 1-3 upshift

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost FX4
The TSB didn't do much for me either, shifts the same as before.

Your fuel economy will be same as non-hybrid if your use case is the same as non-hybrid. Meaning, if you go 80 mph on highway, tow a lot etc. the hybrid won't do anything for you. Hybrid only shines in around-town / light use. Which is a majority of driving for most Americans, so hybrid will benefit most people, but not all.
We do light errands around town ~75% of the time I would guess, the rest of the time we travel at ~67-69mph on the freeway, I am very aware of the aerodynamics of this truck and its GARBAGE that I am getting the same exact numbers as a standard 3.5EB engine, but FORD can just say "actual experience may vary" and brush me to the side, all systems 'seem to be functioning properly' per the service tech... I have no recourse unless enough people are having the issue and we can get a solid response from FORD as if they have false advertising or pay for an upgraded battery/motor or give us funds back for the cost of fuel difference... But all of this could only happen if enough other people are experiencing it and can band together to get FORD corporate to do something!

The fact that I am averaging 20-25% lower fuel economy than sticker with 0.0 miles driven with a trailer should speak volumes to how this is a problem.

If I were within 5-10% fuel economy I would expect that I just have a different driving habit, but 20-25% on a stock truck when it is mostly driven in ECO-mode... GARBAGE The more I think about it the more mad I get, my 2018 2.7EB had nothing wrong with it, I jumped to the PowerBoost because it was supposed to yield better numbers fuel economy. It has not.
Sponsored

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
We do light errands around town ~75% of the time I would guess, the rest of the time we travel at ~67-69mph on the freeway, I am very aware of the aerodynamics of this truck and its GARBAGE that I am getting the same exact numbers as a standard 3.5EB engine, but FORD can just say "actual experience may vary" and brush me to the side, all systems 'seem to be functioning properly' per the service tech... I have no recourse unless enough people are having the issue and we can get a solid response from FORD as if they have false advertising or pay for an upgraded battery/motor or give us funds back for the cost of fuel difference... But all of this could only happen if enough other people are experiencing it and can band together to get FORD corporate to do something!

The fact that I am averaging 20-25% lower fuel economy than sticker with 0.0 miles driven with a trailer should speak volumes to how this is a problem.

If I were within 5-10% fuel economy I would expect that I just have a different driving habit, but 20-25% on a stock truck when it is mostly driven in ECO-mode... GARBAGE The more I think about it the more mad I get, my 2018 2.7EB had nothing wrong with it, I jumped to the PowerBoost because it was supposed to yield better numbers fuel economy. It has not.
Dude. You are getting the same mileage as a 2.7L motor in a 3.5L motor that puts out 570 ft-lbs and 430 hp and has a generator built-in? Even if that were true, I say that's still a worthy upgrade.

Have some patience. Winter MPGs are always bad. It will get better in summer.

Last edited:

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dude. You are getting the same mileage as a 2.7L motor in a 3.5L motor that puts out 570 ft-lbs and 430 hp and has a generator built-in? Even if that were true, I say that's still a worthy upgrade.

Have some patience. Winter MPGs are always bad. It will get better in summer.
Have owned the truck since July, the summer mileage was the same. 18.6-19.1 MPG. The truck has never posted 24MPG on any tank summer or winter, city or country road or highway. No patience left, this truck has never gotten close to posted fuel economy. 19.1mpg is only 79.6% of the rated fuel economy.

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
I have a March build PB Lariat SC that sat n the boneyard missing chips until late July. Early on I averaged 24-25 MPG. about 4k miles the rough shifting began. Shortly after the MPG fell to 19. Took it to my dealer where I purchased and it sat without a diagnosis. After fussing with them I took it to another dealer. They performed the TSB at 14k. For the first 2k the shifting was fixed and MPG was back to 23-24. Now at 17k a few weeks later the shifting is much worse than original and MPG is back below 19. Now the brake pedal is randomly sluggish. Don’t know what to do next.

Sponsored

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Sharing my experience. 18k on my PB, I usually get excellent MPG - 22-24 around town and 22+ on highway.

I recently did an 800-mile towing trip towing 5k. HEAVY headwinds on way back, was doing 8 mpg keeping up 72 mph. Trip ended and for about 200 miles afterward my MPG still sucked even on an unloaded truck. So I fired up forscan and reset all adaptive values and bam MPG is back up to 22-23 around town like before.

Suggestion to everyone: Just reset adaptives as a regular maintenance item every oil change or maybe even every 6-8 weeks. PB seems sensitive to learned values.

Last edited:

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sharing my experience. 18k on my PB, I usually get excellent MPG - 22-24 around town and 22+ on highway.

I recently did an 800-mile towing trip towing 5k. HEAVY headwinds on way back, was doing 8 mpg keeping up 72 mph. Trip ended and for about 200 miles afterward my MPG still sucked even on an unloaded truck. So I fired up forscan and reset all adaptive values and bam MPG is back up to 22-23 around town like before.

Suggestion to everyone: Just reset adaptives as a regular maintenance item every oil change or maybe even every 6-8 weeks. PB seems sensitive to learned values.
I really need to get this ForScan link ASAP then.

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
2021 Powerboost. Had the rough shifting issues from 1-3 also. Took the truck in to the dealer and this is what they did yesterday.

I’ve only driven a few miles since I got it back, but it is now very smooth.

Ford F-150 Powerboost TSB Harsh 1-3 upshift F7C98C31-4036-4BBA-9F24-80E7023180E2

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost. Had the rough shifting issues from 1-3 also. Took the truck in to the dealer and this is what they did yesterday.

F7C98C31-4036-4BBA-9F24-80E7023180E2.jpeg
Seems as though you have a really good Tech, I wonder what misfire codes were and how that effects your fuel economy. Did you get any SES or other warning lights for misfire?

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
@tokyo joe, what oil are you running? Ford recommends 5-30 and heavier/thicker oil can cause slight drop in mpg. It wont be major but it can likely be a factor.,

Sponsored

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
5-w30 full synthetic as per the factory recommendations. Running stock Michelin tires at 41psi (above the door code by 6psi), pretty even wear pattern though.

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
No SES or warning lights. I do not know what codes were pulled. I didn’t think to ask before I left with my truck, but could probably get them as it indicates they were put with the work order. I did have an event a couple months ago when I had it in sport mode and stepped on it pretty hard on some open road and it did in fact misfire, I let off the gas and it appeared to resolve itself, but now I’m thinking that is what set off the code and may have caused a lingering problem with the shift issue. I did not relate the shifting issue with the misfire at the time, but now I’m not sure.

Still running nice after driving it some this weekend.

camattin

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost 4x4
Just got mine back from the dealer after taking it in for this (and the insulation recall and oil change/tire rotation).

In the job entry on my ticket, the tech added:
VERIFIED ELEC TRANS TEST NO DTCS SYMPTOM CHART MONITOR PIDS NEC TO R&R VALVE BODY INSPECT FOUND STICKING VALVES NEC TO REPLACE MAIN CONTROL FILL WITH FLUID PROGRAM NEW SHIFT STRAT CLEAR ADAPTIVE TABLES ROAD TEST OK

No rough shifting on the short trip home, think only time will tell if the fixes keep it shifting smooth!

PBXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost
I got the TSB about a month ago now. No complaints since then. Smooth as butter.

2mileshigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB - Antimatter Blue

F7C98C31-4036-4BBA-9F24-80E7023180E2.jpeg
I'm in Colorado too. What's your build date, and which dealer did your service?
Sponsored