Sponsored

parking without 360 camera and front sensors

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
After I took a test drive in a 2022 F-150 it was obvious that the forward view was terrible with the low seating position of the driver (far inferior to that of my Chevy Silverado). My truck has both the parking sensors and the 360 degree cameras and I rely primarily on the cameras when parking and when manuevering in tight situations where there is limited side clearance.

The only time I use the sensors is when pulling into my driveway and approaching a wall where I use the sensors to get as close as possible. The sensors provide no information on clearance for the sides of the truck and so are of no help when pulling into a parking space.

Even with the cameras I avoid most parking spaces as my long wheelbase crew cab with the 6.5 foot bed results in a much wider turning radius than for any other vehicle I have driven in the past 50 years. It is not as bad as driving a dually but definitely very limited when parking.

When I spend $50,000 on a vehicle that I plan to own for 10 years I take the time to be sure what I am buying is exactly what I want. Even with a factory order if it had some significant issue I would not accept the vehicle and I would place a new order for a truck.
Sponsored

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
thank you, we're in the same boat. just like you, we found it difficult to head-in parking without those two features, but after 3 weeks of experimenting, we kind of get a hold of it. still feel sh*ty about not having the 360 camera due to our negligence and salesperson's intentional omission.

Did you not do a walkaround of the truck? This is one of those features that I can't do without on a truck. I didn't realize how much I would use it until I started driving the truck.

Last edited:

wessermgm

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum SCrew, Smoked Quartz, 701a, FX4
I used the 360 degree camera basically every time I park. Way more than the sensors. In my mind, the sensors are unneeded when you have the overhead view.

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
I used the 360 degree camera basically every time I park. Way more than the sensors. In my mind, the sensors are unneeded when you have the overhead view.
The sensors are invaluable when it comes to proximity parking. Some of us like getting the truck as close to an obstacle (wall or other vehicle) as possible to maximize parking space. The overhead simply can't give you that much resolution. I use the overhead cam to make sure I am evenly parked for example in a space but I use the sensors for precision....and they're great. I can consistently get to within 2 fingers width distance from an obstacle using both the sensors and forward/rear facing cameras.

Tenchi

First Name
Tenchi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Sport/FX4 PB F150
thank you, we're in the same boat. just like you, we found it difficult to head-in parking without those two features, but after 3 weeks of experimenting, we kind of get a hold of it. still feel sh*ty about not having the 360 camera due to our negligence and salesperson's intentional omission.
Same thing happened to me. The packages are not straight forward, and the sales person helping seemed inexperienced. We read through the packages and it seemed like I was getting the 360 camera, but didn't.

Sponsored

bmanxx13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat
I have 502a with sensors + cameras and absolutely love it. I took my truck off-roading recently and the cameras make such a huge difference. They give you so much visibility in front and around the truck. Also, in tight surroundings like drive thru I use the 360 cams.

Of course if you don't care for that the sensors are nice to have.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
In most parking situations I pull in forward into a space and the front parking sensors are of no use as the sensors do not detect a car stop on the pavement. I use the front camera to be able to see when the front of the truck is at or past the car stop.

Zhenes

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f-150
You can add 360 cams to your f150 for around $900. As long as you have the 12 in screen

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
The 360 camera should be standard equipment on these trucks. One thing I like about Toyota is that they put safety equipment on their base models that other truck makers have available only as expensive options.

I have had many trucks over the years and had no problems with parking them or getting through tight sections of trail until the 2022 F-150 with it low driver seating position. I realize this was done to try to improve the aerodynamics of the truck but it resulted in poor driver visibility. Adding the cameras but making them an expensive option is to be expected but not something I would applaud.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Cost isn't even a factor. A 1080p ethernet camera's component costs are sub $20. They run them on single pair 10Mb busses (basically can use any type of connectivity out there for this low data rate). This is really inexpensive stuff here. You can buy a 180 degree FOV USB camera 1080p/30 for $40 delivered to you. I'd be really surprised to hear that to go from the standard backup camera to the 360 system adds $100 installed for everything at ford's cost. They charge $750 for it.

Hell on the mach-e all of them come with 360 cameras now and they want lessor trims to pay for activation of them. They've even given free demos of them -- as in they're giving the customer limited time access to components they literally already paid for, just not as an individual line-item.

Sponsored

TSGarp007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 4x4 Supercrew Powerboost 302A
I agree they should be standard on anything except maybe an XL. It really is a safety enhancer, I know in a parking lot there isn't a toddler in the way that got away from their parent. These trucks are super high, even stock, and visibility is poor. To be honest we're lucky their size isn't regulated down for safety purposes.

It is indeed ludicrous that 360 cameras aren't standard on a Lariat. Power folding mirrors, power adjust pedals, ventilated seats are all standard, but 360 camera is optional? What?

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 STX, Lead Foot Grey
Occupation
Systems Administrator
What did THESE guys do when they were pulling into a parking spot?

Ford F-150 parking without 360 camera and front sensors 1966-ferrari-275-gtb-long-nose-main

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
What did THESE guys do when they were pulling into a parking spot?

1966-ferrari-275-gtb-long-nose-main.jpg
Ummm, have you ever looked around and noticed which cars are parked AWAY from...... Well, everyone else?

I do, Cuz I'm one of them.
First, because I'm old, I NEED to walk.
Second, I have ding-phobia bad.

OP
OP

stlgrym3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB Lariat
I agree they should be standard on anything except maybe an XL. It really is a safety enhancer, I know in a parking lot there isn't a toddler in the way that got away from their parent. These trucks are super high, even stock, and visibility is poor. To be honest we're lucky their size isn't regulated down for safety purposes.

It is indeed ludicrous that 360 cameras aren't standard on a Lariat. Power folding mirrors, power adjust pedals, ventilated seats are all standard, but 360 camera is optional? What?
Couldn’t have agreed more. That’s why been unfamiliar with Ford’s packaging and options we made a mistaken taken home a 80k truck without front sensor and 360 degree camera. Won’t be surprised they’ll be standard on model here 2024.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired

If it's a safety enhancer, should be om base XL also.
Sponsored