Sponsored

Not Using Electric Mode

kcarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XLT 2.7, 2022 F150 Platinum
I don't get a vibration in the gas pedal, but if the engine kicks on while I'm stopped sometimes that shakes the whole truck. It's always done that, so I figured it was normal but maybe it's not. While driving, the transition back and forth isn't very noticeable.

I'm at about 3000 miles and have only had the truck for a month and a half.
Mine has always been hit or miss with the shaky idle. Sometimes it’s so smooth that I was surprised that the ICE was running, others it shakes worse than my 200,000 mile beater needing a timing chain.

Sorry this is happening to you on your new truck….pure speculation on my part regarding the vibrating pedal. I’ve felt a faint buzzing/vibrating/oscillating noise for months that I haven’t been able to track down. Always felt like a bad bearing but could never find it. I guess I’ll know within the next 24 hours!
Sponsored

OP
OP
js312

js312

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
IT Director
Mine has always been hit or miss with the shaky idle. Sometimes it’s so smooth that I was surprised that the ICE was running, others it shakes worse than my 200,000 mile beater needing a timing chain.

Sorry this is happening to you on your new truck….pure speculation on my part regarding the vibrating pedal. I’ve felt a faint buzzing/vibrating/oscillating noise for months that I haven’t been able to track down. Always felt like a bad bearing but could never find it. I guess I’ll know within the next 24 hours!
It'll be interesting to hear how you make out.

I have one other issue (some speakers that don't work sometimes), but per an SSM Ford is aware of the speaker issue on 2023s and they don't have a solution yet. So, I haven't bothered to bring it into the dealer for that. Maybe this will hang on until there's a solution for the speaker issue and the dealer can take care of both issues at once.

kcarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It'll be interesting to hear how you make out.

I have one other issue (some speakers that don't work sometimes), but per an SSM Ford is aware of the speaker issue on 2023s and they don't have a solution yet. So, I haven't bothered to bring it into the dealer for that. Maybe this will hang on until there's a solution for the speaker issue and the dealer can take care of both issues at once.
I’ll definitely report back once the fix is done. It never left me stranded, so I took more of a “wait and see” approach to have something more concrete to show the dealer.

I gave the dealer a list of stuff (this, 3 recalls, steering wheel finish issue) and they’re knocking it all out at once so I can get back on the road. They’re dropping a loaner off in my driveway soon. Hopefully you’re taken care of wherever you go.

kcarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update - still do not have the truck back. All recalls and small things completed, but the BISG is on an indefinite backorder with no ETA.

OP
OP
js312

js312

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
IT Director
Update - still do not have the truck back. All recalls and small things completed, but the BISG is on an indefinite backorder with no ETA.
Mine hasn't acted up since, so I'm ignoring it until it does. Sounds like a good thing given the backorder situation.

Sponsored

dafish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB KR SCREW, '18 Lariat SCREW
Occupation
Mostly retired IT Pro - Cyber-IPT
SOme
Mine was fine again this morning - did a ~30 mile drive, about 8 of those in electric mode which is typical.

Yesterday was the only day I noticed it staying in gas mode - I plan to just keep an eye on it and see if it happens repeatedly.
Wait! What? You typically get 8 miles out of 30 in electric mode? Huh? How?

From a stop a bicycle, heck maybe a wheel chair, out accelerates anything I can do on-bat, and I'm pretty sure 40-42mph is top speed on electric mode for me. With a tailwind. I can't imagine any scenario where I could be over 25% of my miles on electric.

So please, tell me more? What kind of drives are these, etc..

Thanks!

-d

OP
OP
js312

js312

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
IT Director
SOme

From a stop a bicycle, heck maybe a wheel chair, out accelerates anything I can do on-bat, and I'm pretty sure 40-42mph is top speed on electric mode for me. With a tailwind. I can't imagine any scenario where I could be over 25% of my miles on electric.

Thanks!

-d
My drives are mostly 45-55 MPH rural roads. Not much stop and go. It switches over to electric whenever I am going a constant speed on flat surfaces for a while. It also switches most of the time I am going down hill.

I am consistently 25-30% electric miles.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
There are so many parameters in play for the Hybrid side of the Powerboost. And considering the number of PCM/ABS updates since the release of the job1 2021, the code has been and is continuously being massaged.
I drive a 24 year very repetitive route to/from the office. About 46 miles round trip. I have meticulously monitored the truck for nearly 3 years. And while I too average about 20-25% electric miles, you would think that I would get near identical EV behavior day to day in the same places. But on some occasions it's not nearly as predictable as that. Especially with ambient temperatures varying.

In my opinion, on those occasions the truck will appear to be locked out of the normal electric mode. It's like some unknown (unidentified) parameter has the algorithm nixed?

A key cycle is a sure fire way of rebooting the trucks Hybrid strategy. I have also been able to trigger an end to an EV drought by switching to Tow/Haul on the fly, watch the SOC peg at 63% or more, switch back to Normal, and EV kicks in.

It doesn't happen often enough for me to learn anything definitive. But I'm pretty certain that the shear number of lines of code running on this truck leaves plenty of room for "random" bugs. I just marvel that it works so well most of the time. :)

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
In my opinion, on those occasions the truck will appear to be locked out of the normal electric mode. It's like some unknown (unidentified) parameter has the algorithm nixed?

A key cycle is a sure fire way of rebooting the trucks Hybrid strategy. I have also been able to trigger an end to an EV drought by switching to Tow/Haul on the fly, watch the SOC peg at 63% or more, switch back to Normal, and EV kicks in.
You are indeed the PowerBoost Whisperer 🤠
I will certainly try tow/haul when it gets stuck in a loop next time 👍

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
SOme

Thanks!

-d
In the winter, my daily commute averages ~20-25% full electric, and it's 30-35% in the summer. About half my drive is 40-45 mph with several areas with minimal incline and a few spots either way with a place I can get ~½-1 mi of full electric at one shot. I've also driven it enough to know when/where I can push extra electric milage and where it's not worth trying.

Sponsored

Ratchet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
Engineering Supervisor
You guys are doing awesome if you are getting 25% electric mode. Even in eco mode driving very mildly, mine is only about 17-18% and I'm only about 20-21 mpg. I'm going to have them take a look when I take it in for the no start issue.

ImChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PowerBoost Long Bed
Occupation
Commercial Photographer
**clipped to save space
I posted on here Jan 27th which was the first time I noticed my truck not switching to EV mode. Yesterday evening it did the same and I too got that exact error message this time.

Trying to get it into the dealer next week!

kcarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I posted on here Jan 27th which was the first time I noticed my truck not switching to EV mode. Yesterday evening it did the same and I too got that exact error message this time.

Trying to get it into the dealer next week!
I think I might’ve posted in another thread, but I have my truck back after the starter/generator replacement and have put 800 miles on the truck since getting it back a week ago today. She’s running great!

PowerboostedF150

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost, 2011 explorer ltd
Occupation
Knowledge Manager, use PB as my office.
I have had my truck diagnosed by the dealer, they said the 'alternative Starter control module' was randomly failing, causing the truck to not go into electric mode (in my case, when idle and usually in Generator mode). This could cause a no-start scenario, or many other problems if it is defective and spewing out garbage onto the network.

however this recent code, shows a fuel error. And this looks like it is the PCM, not the module mentioned above.

Q. is the PCM simply the reporting module detecting the problem, or is it the problem itself.
Q. Could the reference to 'error' be false due to the bad module above?

The truck drives fine although the trans hard shifting may also be related to this problem, dealer had the trans approved for an overhaul, and it was found to be fine, so suspicion is back to this module above.

I had this show up recently:

Code: P0A1E - Starter/Generator Control Module

Status (-28):
- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Powertrain Control Module

Freeze Frame #1:

Freeze Frame #2:
-EVENT_TIME: 95622630 s (Fri Mar 15 16:55:17 2024) - Event time
-TOTAL_DISTANCE: 97380 km - Total Distance
-FUELSYS: error - Fuel System Status (Open/Closed Loop)
-LOAD: 0.00 % - Calculated Load Value
-ECT: 38 °C - Engine coolant temperature
-SHRTFT1: 0.00 % - Short term fuel trim 1
-LONGFT1: -7.03 % - Long term fuel trim 1
-SHRTFT2: 0.00 % - Short term fuel trim 2
-LONGFT2: -3.91 % - Long term fuel trim 2
-MAP: 98.0 kPa - Manifold absolute pressure sensor
-RPM: 0 1/min - Engine Revolutions Per Minute
-VSS: 0.0 km/h - Vehicle Speed
-SPARKADV: 0.00 ° - Spark Advance
-IAT: 28 °C - Intake Air Temperature
-RUNTM: 16 s - Time Since Engine Start
-RUNTM: 16 s - Engine Run Time
-FRP: 620.0 kPa - Fuel Rail Pressure
-EVAP_PCT: 0.00 % - Commanded Evaporative Purge
-FLI: 42.75 % - Fuel Level
-BARO: 100.0 kPa - Barometric pressure
-VPWR: 14.51 V - Control Module Voltage
-TP_REL: 7.06 % - Relative Throttle Position
-TAC_PCT: 19.22 % - Commanded Throttle Actuator Control

OP
OP
js312

js312

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
IT Director
I have had my truck diagnosed by the dealer, they said the 'alternative Starter control module' was randomly failing, causing the truck to not go into electric mode (in my case, when idle and usually in Generator mode). This could cause a no-start scenario, or many other problems if it is defective and spewing out garbage onto the network.

however this recent code, shows a fuel error. And this looks like it is the PCM, not the module mentioned above.

Q. is the PCM simply the reporting module detecting the problem, or is it the problem itself.
Q. Could the reference to 'error' be false due to the bad module above?

The truck drives fine although the trans hard shifting may also be related to this problem, dealer had the trans approved for an overhaul, and it was found to be fine, so suspicion is back to this module above.

I had this show up recently:

Code: P0A1E - Starter/Generator Control Module

Status (-28):
- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Powertrain Control Module

Freeze Frame #1:

Freeze Frame #2:
-EVENT_TIME: 95622630 s (Fri Mar 15 16:55:17 2024) - Event time
-TOTAL_DISTANCE: 97380 km - Total Distance
-FUELSYS: error - Fuel System Status (Open/Closed Loop)
-LOAD: 0.00 % - Calculated Load Value
-SHRTFT1: 0.00 % - Short term fuel trim 1
-LONGFT1: -7.03 % - Long term fuel trim 1
-SHRTFT2: 0.00 % - Short term fuel trim 2
-LONGFT2: -3.91 % - Long term fuel trim 2
-MAP: 98.0 kPa - Manifold absolute pressure sensor
-RPM: 0 1/min - Engine Revolutions Per Minute
-SPARKADV: 0.00 ° - Spark Advance
-IAT: 28 °C - Intake Air Temperature
-RUNTM: 16 s - Time Since Engine Start
-RUNTM: 16 s - Engine Run Time
-FRP: 620.0 kPa - Fuel Rail Pressure
-EVAP_PCT: 0.00 % - Commanded Evaporative Purge
-FLI: 42.75 % - Fuel Level
-TP_REL: 7.06 % - Relative Throttle Position
-TAC_PCT: 19.22 % - Commanded Throttle Actuator Control
I don't know what that fuel message in the freezeframe data means, but I wouldn't read too far into it - you'll drive yourself nuts trying to make sense of the little errors and codes these trucks throw since they're usually harmless.

In researching this, I've never seen anything to make me think the cause of this issue is anything other than the BISG (starer/generator). The BISG can't report anything - the PCM is what will throw a code on its behalf. I think your dealer is correct.

I have not had this happen a second time on my truck, so I'm just calling it a fluke for now.
Sponsored