Sponsored

No Longer Part of the Powerboost Fam

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
To be honest with you I’d take your 302A dash layout over the full LCD display. I love analog gauges but I’d like chrome and the big middle screen like the 302A.
Yeah, the 8" actually uses its digital display, the 12" just makes digital versions of analog gauges. Makes no sense to me. The electroluminescence look of the needles reminds me of old school lexus ghost gauges in that they're transparent until illuminated. It's like they put a digital cluster in there and then forgot to use it. Huge waste.
Sponsored

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
Yeah, the 8" actually uses its digital display, the 12" just makes digital versions of analog gauges. Makes no sense to me. The electroluminescence look of the needles reminds me of old school lexus ghost gauges in that they're transparent until illuminated. It's like they put a digital cluster in there and then forgot to use it. Huge waste.
I freaking love Ram's all new digital cluster screen. That sh*t looks so many times better than what we have imho.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
to be fair i was reading too fast lol.. but DANG that's crazy because i reside 10-15 minutes from KHS.
Memorial Northwest Subdivision was home back then :)

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
To my knowledge if you have start stop you also have cylinder deactivation on the 5.0.
All 5.0 after 2021 have cyl. Deactivation. Part of the Gen IV coyote.

Not all F150 has A.S.S. Ford paid be $50 not to install it.

Sponsored

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
All 5.0 after 2021 have cyl. Deactivation. Part of the Gen IV coyote.

Not all F150 has A.S.S. Ford paid be $50 not to install it.
Yes, I have one without the start stop system and was simply trying to get clarity on what a previous poster had said. His wording made it seem like you could have one or the other which is not the case at all. I don't think he really understood what he was saying or understood how the cylinder deactivation works.

Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum Powerboost sold, 2023 Tremor 5.0 now

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I’ve read the smoothness comment a lot. That is because a 90 degree V8 is naturally in balance. V6 engines need to be 120 degrees to be perfectly in balance, in automotive applications that is too wide so manufacturers compromise and do 60 degrees, but that puts the motor out of balance. 90 degree V8 and Inline 6 are your most in-balance and content motors in their base form. They aren’t trying to rip themselves apart at the crank and don’t require balance shafts. This is why the 5.0 is so smooth at idle.

Chrysler just came out with that new 3.0 Hurricane I-6. That will be a silky smooth runner as well. Unfortunately for Ram buyers the Hemi is long in the tooth and about to be retired, but this Hurricane looks promising.

Fords 5.0 is starkly different from the Hemi, receiving 4 new generations since its 2011 release and being constantly refined and improved on top of being a much more modern base DOHC architecture to begin with. It’s easy for the 5.0 to crank out insane power and it has now surpassed the 5.7 Hemi on power output figures in the pickups, I think this was part of the reason Ram had thrown in the towel. The 5.0 has really started to emberass the 5.7 in the chargers and challengers over the last few years. Even the much larger 6.4 Hemi fails to meet the 5.0’s top end horsepower ratings (Now 500 HP for 2024+). At the end of the day the 5.0 is new era engineering married into V8 architecture. The pushrods are starting to look archaic while Fords V8 keeps climbing.

Last edited:

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
OP
OP
Oxford_Powerboost

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Just completed my first highway cruise in the new truck - v8 is butter smooth…cylinder deactivation seems to work well but I can definitely tell when it kicks in and out. Regardless - mpg shows it seems to be working

Ford F-150 No Longer Part of the Powerboost Fam IMG_6833

Jerome10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Powerboost here.... if I didn't need the Pro Power OnBoard I'd have gone V8 as well. Not a bad choice at all in my opinion. The 2.7T would have been close though.... but ultimately I still prefer a non-turbocharged engine feel and V8 feel and sound. The way they build power is more satisfying, even if not ultimately as head-snappingly fast. Find turbo BMWs the same way. Yeah, they're a lot more powerful and really go from a stop but the way the old non-turbo 6 cylinders built speed and power was much more fun to work the engine. Sounded a bit better too.

With that said I can 100% see why people like the turbocharged engines. Lot of grunt down low. Can see them being better for towing too.

I'm glad Ford has such a plethora of engines to choose from, frankly.
Sponsored