Projected lifespan of the Powerboost lithium battery?

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Agate Black Platinum 4X4 Powerboost
Occupation
Very retired
This is absolutely no concern for me. The truck will be long gone before the warranty is out.

Advertisement

Polo08816

Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
This is absolutely no concern for me. The truck will be long gone before the warranty is out.
The next buyer will just factor the replacement cost of a hybrid battery into the used pricing of the vehicle.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Agate Black Platinum 4X4 Powerboost
Occupation
Very retired
The next buyer will just factor the replacement cost of a hybrid battery into the used pricing of the vehicle.
Nah, not at 2-3 years. That's all I figure on keeping it. That won't be a factor until 6-8 years.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
The generator alone being able to power a small house's critical appliances during an extended power outage is enough to sell people on the Hybrid 7.2kW option. As soon as I showed my wife this feature, I had sold her on the truck.
I totally agree here. We have been looking for a new truck for a while now. But, since Covid, we both are teleworking full time. So, no need to spring for it yet. And, I don't expect to be back in an office this year even.

But, with the free advertising from the Texas cold spell I expect this truck to be unattainable in the near future. Come next year when I am ready, I expect none to be available or the premium price to be outrageous.

After explaining that to my wife, she agreed and I found one on a lot 50 miles from me. Drove there Saturday and bought it.

Tecdiver

First Name
Dana
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat, 2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Management consultant
Based off what I’ve seen, I don’t know if a battery upgrade would be viable. It seems like it would be pretty invasive to drop the old/used pack out of the truck and put a new one in. Not to mention the price. I’ve read reviews and stories on trying to replace the battery cells on hybrid and electric cars stating it’s so expensive it’s almost easier to replace the vehicle.

It would be awesome if Moore’s Law kicks in and the prices for the batteries get cheap enough. If so, upgrading the battery packs on hybrid and electric cars could be the new version of tuning an internal combustion engine!
This is probably going to be a problem for most EV/hybrids using current battery technology. All of these battery replacement concerns, however, simply vanish once we perfect nano diamond batteries - except that the batteries will outlast the vehicles (maybe even us at 28,000 years!). It's real tech though - exciting stuff.

Advertisement

Advertisement