First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
Seems like the F150 Powerstroke would have been a better fit for your needs.
Sponsored

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
There is some good news here. If you don’t like the truck, you can probably sell it for more than you paid for it right now because of all the chip shortages. That doesn’t help your HOA problems though.

schleeb

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost and 2019 Ford Fusion Titaniu
Occupation
retired
Seeing as some have experienced situation where too much torque was being sent by the electric motor and throwing codes, I can only imagine that a tune on PB will be much more complex then your usual tune.

I am quite satisfied with the power levels of my PB :LOL: I do wish for two things however:
  • Hear more turbine noise
  • Stay longer in electric mode before kicking in the ICE, it feels that the electric motor has much more to give.
Turbine noise??? I don't think there is a turbine in it. At least there isn't one in mine. Are you talking about the noise it has to make, by law, because it is an electric vehicle.

You have to remember that the electric motor is tiny to say the least. If it can't maintain throttle demand with its puny 44 HP electric motor, it kicks the gas engine in. This thing is a hybrid in name only. There is no way it is anywhere close to any other hybrid I'm familiar with. Even my wife's Fusion has an electric motor that is over 100 hp which handles highway speeds without any issues. Be satisfied with the fact that you have a "one off" hybrid vehicle, some day it will be a collector's item. I'm only keeping mine until something better comes along and its NOT the Lightning. My only wish I have, is getting rid of the backup alarm... this is a pickup, not a fork lift!

Vspec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT PB SC LWB
Turbine noise??? I don't think there is a turbine in it. At least there isn't one in mine. Are you talking about the noise it has to make, by law, because it is an electric vehicle.

You have to remember that the electric motor is tiny to say the least. If it can't maintain throttle demand with its puny 44 HP electric motor, it kicks the gas engine in. This thing is a hybrid in name only. There is no way it is anywhere close to any other hybrid I'm familiar with. Even my wife's Fusion has an electric motor that is over 100 hp which handles highway speeds without any issues. Be satisfied with the fact that you have a "one off" hybrid vehicle, some day it will be a collector's item. I'm only keeping mine until something better comes along and its NOT the Lightning. My only wish I have, is getting rid of the backup alarm... this is a pickup, not a fork lift!
The noise from the compressor (cold) side of both turbos :p The hot side, is the turbine housing with the turbine wheel but I digress.

That tiny motor is able to pull my ~2500lbs 14x7x7 cargo trailer (aluminium) on flat ground at low speed :cool:

Sponsored

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
They already have a 500lb battery down there, essentially taking that much weight straight off the payload capacity of the truck; just imagine doubling that and losing that much more capacity. It would require some rework of the whole truck's design to accommodate anything bigger (Like they had to do on the Lightning), and that's probably just not something they wanted to deal with for this first generation of hybrid.
Are you sure that the battery is 500 lbs?

Ford F-150 Still no PowerBoost Tunes? 1658241160465

This is my ebike and it has a 630Wh Bosch Li-Ion battery that weighs around 6 lbs and fits in the down tube. I have a buddy that carries a spare battery in his backpack for 1.26kWh of power on long rides.

I doubt the PowerBoost battery is all that heavy.

OP
OP

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Are you sure that the battery is 500 lbs?

1658241160465.jpeg

This is my ebike and it has a 630Wh Bosch Li-Ion battery that weighs around 6 lbs and fits in the down tube. I have a buddy that carries a spare battery in his backpack for 1.26kWh of power on long rides.

I doubt the PowerBoost battery is all that heavy.
It's not, you're right. The total weight difference of all the extra systems from PowerBoost (Hybrid transmission, generator, battery, supporting systems) total a 500lb difference between a standard 3.5L EB.

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Somewhat on that thought, does anyone know if there’s any sort of magic to the heat on a PowerBoost? I thought I had read there wasn’t, and I know the engine will come on when you need heat and it’s cold, but my PowerBoost seems to somehow generate heat in about half the time my ‘15 3.5 EB did. Much quicker than my wife’s Explorer with the 2.4 EB as well (Just judging it on how far from home I get until I can feel good heat coming out of the vents).

Just feels like it gets heat coming out way quicker than any normal engine could, was wondering if there is any special heating elements running off the battery or something like that.
There is a heat exchanger in the exhaust. The one that keeps leaking. :D

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
It's not, you're right. The total weight difference of all the extra systems from PowerBoost (Hybrid transmission, generator, battery, supporting systems) total a 500lb difference between a standard 3.5L EB.
I bet we will see larger aftermarket batteries in a couple years.
Sponsored