Sponsored

Projected lifespan of the Powerboost lithium battery?

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Lot's of speculation and hand-wringing in these posts, which seems to be human nature when it comes to the unknown.

To be clear, it's the MARKET which is driving the switch to electric and hybrid vehicles, and not whomever is the current resident of the WH. Storage is becoming less and less expensive, and will continue to as further advances are made .

And as for replacement - that one falls on the engineers to make sure that it's not a tear down. There is a great video available on YouTube [Link: ] where Elon Musk shows not one, but two Tesla Model S getting battery replacements in less time than it takes to fill the tank on an Audi A7. I'm going to give Ford engineers the benefit of the doubt here until I learn otherwise because every time Tesla comes out with a new model, Ford buys one, tears it down completely, and rebuilds it. Tesla is open source. They don't care if Ford uses their tech. Elon's long term play is to make the air we breath cleaner.

There. Now you can stop the hand-wringing and smile at the sunny day you're about to enjoy!
That battery swap event was full-on fraud, a PT Barnum-level lie to get CARB credits from California - and it worked. But there were guys under the curtain with wrenches. There has never been one single fully automated Tesla battery swap. Not one. And no, Tesla has not open-sourced a single thing. Elon did, one time, offer to provide access to Tesla's patented technology to other manufacturers, under LICENSE. But the terms were so strict that not one other OEM has had any interest. Tesla files and protects its patents closely, has sued under patent protection laws multiple times and is not giving anything away. Elon Musk is about save-the world altruism? Please. I am a big Tesla fan, one of the earliest adopters, multiple-Tesla owner, but the wealthiest man in the world is about building cool stuff first. He cares way more about getting around the 'ring faster than about AGW, which he does not actually believe in. In fact, Elon loves his private jet more than about anything, and his SpaceX rockets burn more carbon fuel than about anything else on earth when they head for the stratosphere. Don't drink so much kool-aid, because he's selling a whopper of a story. There's a reason that libs are suddenly turning on him.
Sponsored

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
That battery swap event was full-on fraud, a PT Barnum-level lie to get CARB credits from California - and it worked. But there were guys under the curtain with wrenches. There has never been one single fully automated Tesla battery swap. Not one. And no, Tesla has not open-sourced a single thing. Elon did, one time, offer to provide access to Tesla's patented technology to other manufacturers, under LICENSE. But the terms were so strict that not one other OEM has had any interest. Tesla files and protects its patents closely, has sued under patent protection laws multiple times and is not giving anything away. Elon Musk is about save-the world altruism? Please. I am a big Tesla fan, one of the earliest adopters, multiple-Tesla owner, but the wealthiest man in the world is about building cool stuff first. He cares way more about getting around the 'ring faster than about AGW, which he does not actually believe in. In fact, Elon loves his private jet more than about anything, and his SpaceX rockets burn more carbon fuel than about anything else on earth when they head for the stratosphere. Don't drink so much kool-aid, because he's selling a whopper of a story. There's a reason that libs are suddenly turning on him.
Well I'm glad Elon and his products are here regardless of what motivates him, his SpaceX team has saved Hundreds of Billions in the cost of our space program by making it competitive again and not just a Blank check to Boeing and Lockheed. Oh and Elon's space X has done what neither heavily taxpayer funded companies could dream of, lowering the cost of space and reusing rockets. Elon's eccentric, has an ego, etc;, but the man knows how to put a team together and accomplish amazing feats.

Powerboost22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Powerboost
@Zyvin - I see you're a new member here. Welcome!
Maybe you're not familiar with some of the unwritten rules of this Forum, so I'll politely share with you that personal snipes are frowned upon on this forum. If you don't agree with what someone posts, fine. But don't take a swipe at someone you don't know. That behavior is better suited for the "other" forum.
Thanks, and we all look forward to constructive comments in the future.
(y)
Damn man leave some cool-aid for the rest of us, you’re sipping so hard!
Don’t threaten someone to get taken off just because they point out Elon going to mars isn’t the greenest of the green. Tesla fits a great role if society and there’s a lot EV isn’t ready to handle yet. And yes regulation and policies help persuade the markets but they’re many gaps left to be filled!
Sponsored