Sponsored

KO2s on Powerboost. Not super happy with the MPG hit. Is there a happy middle ground?

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
I'm wanting to upgrade to the KO2 in that same size, but am hesitant for the same reasons. The only tire I've found that's substantially lighter is the General Grabber ATX. I think it's 46lbs compared to 38lbs of the stock Territory.
I'm running LT 305/55 R20 Grabber AT/X's on Roush wheels and I saw a 2-3 MPG decrease.

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
How do you sleep at night? How do you like the grabbers?
Ha. Doesn't bother me a bit. My right foot sucks way more fuel economy than the tires.

They're pretty good - not that noisy, smooth ride, decent in snow. The only place I've had problems is immediately after a rain. It's like being on ice trying to get started with the AT/X's.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The 2.7 can match my Powerboost in economy in most circumstances. I've had a couple of 2.7 trucks. Fantastic motor.

But it's not apples/apples
My Powerboost is dolled up to the max, (heavier) and there's no substitute for that ~600ftlbs when you reach for it. 😎

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
The 2.7 can match my Powerboost in economy in most circumstances. I've had a couple of 2.7 trucks. Fantastic motor.
I agree wholeheartedly. I’ve had two 2.7s, and they were fantastic engines in terms of performance and the ability to get excellent MPG.

Fat Vinnie

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
00 Excursion & Expedition 14 CMax 22 PB Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I have been wondering about tire replacement on my 22 PB. I have the 275 65 18 size. The stock Goodyear tires weigh in at 38lbs. All options I reviewed just for the SL rating were 42-45 lbs, and going to an E rating gets well over 52lbs.
I have a CMax Energi and learned the hard way about tire weight and MPG. Regular trips to the same spot in Utah was usually netting 42-44 MPG. Costco talked me into a “better” Michelin tire (Primarcy Tour vs the stock Energy) and my mileage dropped to around 36-37. Still had the flat tire issues because of a heavy car and light weight tires.
From what I can tell, the Territory is a F150 specific tire.
I only have 1500 miles so I have some time to review options and see what the forum members come up with for replacements. Just my 2 cents., but the MPG is important to me.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Any idea what the stock wheels weigh? I have the normal lariat wheels, not sport or 502a/chrome package.
The 18" mag-pocket Lariat wheels weight around 30lbs. They're are already really light for a rim with that load rating. I haven't come across an 18" truck wheel significantly under that mark.

For further reference, the 17x7.5 base alloys are only 25lbs or so.

Sponsored

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
The 18" mag-pocket Lariat wheels weight around 30lbs. They're are already really light for a rim with that load rating. I haven't come across an 18" truck wheel significantly under that mark.

For further reference, the 17x7.5 base alloys are only 25lbs or so.
wow that is light. you can’t really do much better than that and still feel confident putting a load on them, lol.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Oh and there's a thread I found on here with a guy who weighed his 20" wheels and they were around 38lbs I think. Maybe 43 lbs. One of those two.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
Ford F-150 KO2s on Powerboost. Not super happy with the MPG hit. Is there a happy middle ground? Untitled

I mean, they ARE over an inch taller. That's significant.

RedDragon65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost FX4
I am running 295/65/18 Load Range E Duratracs on stock Lariat wheels, did a 2" level, drove it for about a week on stock tires, maybe lost 1 MPG from that, then with the new tires lost about another 2-3 MPG. I only used the trip computer prior, I also adjusted the tire size using Forscan as my speedo was about 2 MPH off, I have it dialed in with GPS speed now. I started hand calculating MPG, my actual is about 19 MPG hand calculation, and the trip computer is off by 1 MPG, typically showing ~ 20 MPG on average. I was originally at 23+ on the trip computer before any changes - I run in Normal mode as I have found I get worse MPG in Eco mode with combination City/Highway driving, when I am on pure highway roadtrip Eco mode seems to do a little better than Normal mode - but nothing dramatic.
Sponsored