KC vs Dearborn quality issues

GlassSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Sales Director
I've got a '21 Lariat from Dearborn. Have a paint issue on the top of the passenger side rear door! Not too noticeable but they are going to touch it up.

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
All Ford plants should be under the same assembly and QA programs. Outside vendors will differ by location but audited by the same guidelines. As a life long QA person I know a few things about QA

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Kansas here too with a build of 6/22. Minimal issues. There were 4 frame bolts under the transercase that were barely threaded on. My right side tow mirror light has water in it that won't go away, but those are minor (so far).

I was hoping someone has some actual data? I'd pay money to know if KS was better than those Michigan rockbrains.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
The only “build” complaints I have with my KC truck is “fit & trim”.

And I don’t know that it’s exclusive to Kansas City or maybe just a by product of a “deep into a pandemic” build issue but I am less than impressed with how my door panels line up with the cab & the plastic cover under the windshield wipers, etc...

But… “IT’S A TRUCK”!

And it does everything I ever expected from an American V8 4x4 Truck and a whole hell of a lot more… VERY well I might add!

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
My previous truck, 2018 KingRanch Ecoboost, was a KC truck. It was such a great truck for 3 years and 7 months that I was a little disappointed to find my KingRanch Powerboost would be a Dearborn truck.

It's only just passed it's first year, but it has matched the trouble free record of the KC truck, so I couldn't personally vouch for one over the other. To my relief, of course.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
2021 (03/21 ‐ chip hold 'til 06/21) 501A Screw PB. Dearborn.

There is a 1.5 inch scratch on the back of the cab. It looks like when the bed was being installed it scraped the back of the cab near the lower corner of the rear window. The dealer didn't say anything and I didn't notice it for a few weeks.

The paint on this truck is so nice I decided to live with the scratch rather than risk a blotchy repaint job.

Not only is the paint nice, the fit and finish on this truck is *really* good - inside and out. It oozes quality and people are impressed when they are looking at it or riding in it.

So my measly 1 data point goes for Dearborn! ☀

Speaking of paint, a few days ago we parked right by a Tundra and just with a glance I noticed significant orange peal in the paint. Definitely, not as nice.

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
The only “build” complaints I have with my KC truck is “fit & trim”.

And I don’t know that it’s exclusive to Kansas City or maybe just a by product of a “deep into a pandemic” build issue but I am less than impressed with how my door panels line up with the cab & the plastic cover under the windshield wipers, etc...

But… “IT’S A TRUCK”!

And it does everything I ever expected from an American V8 4x4 Truck and a whole hell of a lot more… VERY well I might add!
Yeah the windshield cowl thing is super soft rubbery plastic that just doesn't seem to fit well. Mine doesn't seem as bad as others tbh, but it still pops up a little.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Two bulb burnouts so far on my KC truck but otherwise been solid

John861

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
All Ford plants should be under the same assembly and QA programs. Outside vendors will differ by location but audited by the same guidelines. As a life long QA person I know a few things about QA
The plants may operate with the same assembly and QA programs, but that doesn't mean they all produce at the same quality level. Back in the 90's, I spent quite a bit of time at the Ontario Truck Plant. Just inside the main employee entrance there was a bulletin board that showed the latest quality numbers (average repairs per 1000 vehicles) for all 4 F-150 plants. Norfolk was always #1, and Ontario was a distant 4th. I think it ended up closing in the early 2000's when Dearborn Truck was opened.

In all fairness, there can be differences at the plants based on which configurations they build. In the old days, certain plants built certain cab configurations, etc. These can be the source of the quality differences as opposed to the plant workers.

Sponsored

Wookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Platinum Powerboost
Dearborn 23 - so far the 2 month old truck has been in the shop for half of that. One simple item, the taillight. The rest of the time for water intrusion they can't figure out. I honestly think the dealership has just given up at this point. I have an open case with Ford, we will see if they buy this one back.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
KC does all 8’ beds and most XL and XLT trucks. There are certain exceptions based on some options. If you have power running boards it goes to Dearborn.

I believe all PowerBoosts are Dearborn, and all HDPP are Kansas City. At the end of the day they are simply assembly plants, they have very little to do with failing parts. Those parts were procured long before they get assembled.

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT sport CCSB 5.0
Occupation
Auto Body Tech
KC plant with no issues. Working at a ford bodyshop, I seen a new BAP truck come right off the truck from Dearborn with obvious post build damage repaired. The clear coat was blended on the cab corner, and you could see a tape line inside the door. Very shotty to say the least.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
KC plant with no issues. Working at a ford bodyshop, I seen a new BAP truck come right off the truck from Dearborn with obvious post build damage repaired. The clear coat was blended on the cab corner, and you could see a tape line inside the door. Very shotty to say the least.
Ugh, I'd hate to have a body shop peruse my 2022 Dearborn truck. The front/rear door transition on both sides is atroricous, but honestly I've seen worse in pics on this forum. I don't think mine could be fixed with a simple adjustment; either both front door panels are ~1/8" too tall or both rear panels are 1/8" too short. I still look at it every time I approach the truck, but I guess I've leaned to live with it.

Also had my steering wheel replaced due to padding popping out from the leather cover at 6:00 on the wheel. I noticed it immediately upon delivery. Dealer surprisingly didn't fight me on it.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
The plants may operate with the same assembly and QA programs, but that doesn't mean they all produce at the same quality level. Back in the 90's, I spent quite a bit of time at the Ontario Truck Plant. Just inside the main employee entrance there was a bulletin board that showed the latest quality numbers (average repairs per 1000 vehicles) for all 4 F-150 plants. Norfolk was always #1, and Ontario was a distant 4th. I think it ended up closing in the early 2000's when Dearborn Truck was opened.

In all fairness, there can be differences at the plants based on which configurations they build. In the old days, certain plants built certain cab configurations, etc. These can be the source of the quality differences as opposed to the plant workers.
Yet Ford closed the Norfolk plant.
Sponsored