Tow Mirrors vs Standard visibility issues

Donnelly713

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Think the tow mirrors are great, but when test driving compared to standard really seemed to block my visibility for intersections and left/right turns

For those that have them-Is this something you get use to?

Pros and cons of each?
Sponsored

Last edited:

JohngaltinOC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 lariat EB
Occupation
Finance
Think the tow mirrors are great, but when test driving compared to standard really seemed to block my visibility for intersections and left/right turns

Pros and cons of each?
I wanted the tow mirrors, but they were very hard to find on any in stock Lariat in my area, and the salesmen being salesman told me about this BLIS thing and said most people don't bother with mirrors. I saw through the sales talk, and didn't 100% believe that anything would replace the ability to see things for myself but ultimately did not want to special order my truck just for that and the power running boards. After all we spend 99% of the time not towing anything. Also figured sooner or later there will be an after market accessory to attach to the regular mirrors. Those tow mirrors are huge and definitely hide a lot of the world in everyday driving.

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired

Pros and cons of each?
I was looking at two trucks with the only difference being the tow vs regular mirror - while I liked the visibility the tow mirrors offered for backing up etc the vision blockage to the left/right at corners or just looking to those directions i chose the truck with regular mirrors - I actually cut my test drive short as I was very annoyed with the tow mirrors after about 3 left turns in tight/narrow roads - I will also state that I rarely tow so the benefits in that area were of no concern to myself.

dicedealer7

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 STX FX4
I loved the tow mirrors on my F250 I traded in for the new 150. Took some getting used to the smaller mirrors.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
From driving in non-towing conditions, I’ve found the standard mirrors work great.

On a slightly related note, I’ve observed a blind spot while driving my SuperCrew.

I may be old school, but I still check over my shoulder just before I commit to a lane change. Not the mirrors fault, but I have noticed that the B-pillar and headrest are directly in my way when I go to check over the shoulder. Might be how I have my driving position set, but I do not like that thus far.

Sponsored

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4 FX4, 2020 Edge Titanium, 2019 Escape Ti, 2019 Mustang GT PP2
I may be old school, but I still check over my shoulder just before I commit to a lane change. Not the mirrors fault, but I have noticed that the B-pillar and headrest are directly in my way when I go to check over the shoulder. Might be how I have my driving position set, but I do not like that thus far.
I noticed the same thing. Looking over my shoulder is useless in my truck. Just going to have to trust my mirrors and BLIS I suppose

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
After driving a Lariat with standard power folding, and an XLT with standard manual folding mirrors, I wouldn't give up my tow mirrors.

Firstly the shape of the powered and manual folding mirrors was different, which surprised me. I would have assumed they were the same. The powered mirrors didn't seem to have as much surface area and were most certainly flat. It felt like the viewable area was way too small for the vehicle they were attached to.

The manual mirrors on the XLT were actually better in my opinion. They seemed wider and taller somehow. I'm not sure if they happened to be ever so slightly convexed as compared to the powered folding ones or not, but the seemed to provide a wider viewing area.

That said, I couldn't be happier with the tow mirrors that I opted for. I would however caution that if you choose the tow mirrors, make sure to get a trim package that has electric folding included. You don't want to have to stop and get out every time you need to fold those puppies in.

[edited to correct typos]

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I noticed the same thing. Looking over my shoulder is useless in my truck. Just going to have to trust my mirrors and BLIS I suppose
I have to lean forward quite a bit to look over past it. Then my eyes are off the road for so long, it kind defeats the purpose of trying to be safe.

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4 FX4, 2020 Edge Titanium, 2019 Escape Ti, 2019 Mustang GT PP2
I have to lean forward quite a bit to look over past it. Then my eyes are off the road for so long, it kind defeats the purpose of trying to be safe.
Exactly. I feel I'm more at risk of an accident if I attempt to look over my shoulder and around, somehow, the huge B pillar, than if I trust my mirrors and BLIS. New school driving I guess..Lol

BuffaloBill

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
I agree, the B pillar is very thick (same as previous generation). I noticed this on the Expedition as well. Other vehicles offer much better visibility over the left shoulder. I suppose if your mirrors are adjusted properly, then it should not be an issue. But the habit of a quick glance will be hard to break.
Sponsored