Sponsored

FX4 vs non-FX4 ride quality

22XLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT
So outside of shocks are there any actual differences between an FX four and non-FX four truck?
Sponsored

22XLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT
So basically it’s only the shocks creating this difference in ride mentioned?

There’s no difference in springs?

How special are these shocks?

beavo451

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
So basically it’s only the shocks creating this difference in ride mentioned?

There’s no difference in springs?

How special are these shocks?
The Ford package details say tuned front shocks. I don't think they're anything special. I'm pretty positive that the rear shocks are the same as non-FX4. I swapped my rears with Bilstein 5100. Bilstien hasn't released front 5100s yet but I'm doing those as soon as they're available.

Chilidog

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, Lariat, 5.0, Fx4, 502A, Carbonized Gray
I have an FX4 Lariat, V8, 21" wheels on order. I finally was able test drive one yesterday. Love the V8 but was disappointed in the ride. Granted, this will be my first truck and I get they don't ride like cars. I'm wondering if I go to smaller wheels and weight down the bed a little if that might help. I'm willing to sacrifice some gas mileage if I can get a smoother ride. Any thoughts? Thanks!

jp1170

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SCREW Lariat 501A
Occupation
Sr. Systems Engineer
So i just went from a 2021 302A XLT with FX4 package to a 2022 Lariat 501A without FX4 package. Both had 20" wheels and Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires and i can say that it seems as if the ride is a little smoother on the Lariat than the XLT. I don't know if that has anything to do with stepping up in trim level or not. But by the seat of the pants feel and by the amount of noise the kids car seats make shaking around in the back seat I have to believe that the non FX4 truck is a bit smoother.

Sponsored

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
So outside of shocks are there any actual differences between an FX four and non-FX four truck?
There is a HUGE difference in my opinion. No, not the ride quality from the shocks (I notice no difference on-road). An FX4 package includes Skid Plates and an electronic-locking rear differential.

Chilidog

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was able to drive a 4x4 and an FX4 back to back, both with 20" wheels. Myself and my daughter were in agreement that the Fx4 was a better ride on the street. The bumps were smoother.

Matt_Bonilla08

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Occupation
Lead Engineer
I've driven both in the previous generation. I didn't feel any difference but I didn't drive them back to back so any small differences I wouldn't be able to tell. We have put both shocks on a dyno though here at Eibach and there is a very small change in valving between the two. Basically just slightly more valving at high speed which will equate to a slightly stiffer ride.

Chilidog

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interestingly, I drove the Fx4 two days ago. I then drove the 4x4 yesterday and thought they felt the same. Luckily, I was able to take the Fx4 back out and we both felt we could tell a noticeable difference. Anyhow, it's all personal preference and I'm glad I was able to drive them back to back. Fx4 for me. Thanks for your input.

tre_77

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 STX
Are the rear shocks on Fx4 tuned as well or just the front ones?

Sponsored

thomps33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I think ride quality is so subjective. Some people will prefer a firmer ride while others prefer a softer ride. I think the bigger difference will be how much the truck weighs. A higher trim with more options will weigh more than a low trim truck with less option which will effect the precieved rebound and dampening characteristics.

Dnpbakon

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT F150 leadfoot
Occupation
Retired Military
I just went from a 2021 sport XLT 4wd to a 2022 FX4 XLT. And so far the fx4 to me feels much nicer. But again it’s a preference thing. Test drive both.

Chilidog

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's a good way to put it. To us the Fx4 was a softer ride. While I appreciate the all aluminum body and bed, it may not help the ride quality. After my truck arrives, I'll probably put some sand bags in the bed and see what that does.
Sponsored