Sponsored

Is Powerboost only good for mall crawlers?

VbPb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Serious question. I’m close to dropping $70,000+ on a Powerboost and it seems off road tires kill the powerboost’s fuel economy advantage.

Is anyone getting good fuel economy with 34” E-rated tires?
My 2016 5.0L gets 17 MPG city with 33” KO2 E-rated tires. So, I would need 20+ city MPG to make it worth the cost.
Thanks,
Sponsored

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
Serious question. I’m close to dropping $70,000+ on a Powerboost and it seems off road tires kill the powerboost’s fuel economy advantage.

My 2016 5.0L gets 17 MPG city with 33” KO2 E-rated tires. So, I would need 20+ city MPG to make it worth the cost.
Thanks,
Imo it will save a little bit of fuel in the city but the diff in MPG between 3.5 EB and PB when you add a little load (tires and wind resistance apply), gets very small very quickly. Keep in mind you already have an optioned vehicle around ~ 6K lbs.

If you get powerboost, get it for the rear locker, instant torque, and generator (nice when you can give out power in idle without engine on for long periods of time).

On the highway with big tires, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 5.0 get the best numbers, since it is the most efficient tow engine.

If you look in the 5.0 threads they seem to be getting pretty good mpgs... and btw revving to 7k in a truck is pretty epic. Heres a 5.0 w 3.73s

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I think you’ll still do better when you average all your driving than any other engine with that setup. But like the person above said, buy it for the power. You won’t do worse on gas.

For what it’s worth, my buddy has a 2020 5.0 on a 3 inch level kit with 33x12.50 ridge grapplers. He averages 14.2. I think the PB would still beat that lol

chill_will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F150 Platinum 4x4
Occupation
Engineer

Thanks,
I’m getting >20mpg with a 2” level and 295/60 recons. In stop and go houston traffic with mostly highway I got 20. More in town trips I’m closer to 22. Not bad. I got it more for the power, torque, and generator than the mpg. I have a more aggressive setup and getting way better gas mileage than my old 5.4 V8.

chill_will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F150 Platinum 4x4
Occupation
Engineer
I’m getting >20mpg with a 2” level and 295/60 recons. In stop and go houston traffic with mostly highway I got 20. More in town trips I’m closer to 22. Not bad. I got it more for the power, torque, and generator than the mpg. I have a more aggressive setup and getting way better gas mileage than my old 5.4 V8.
Also, I have a small farm so I’m no mall crawler. Only a city slicker for work :LOL:

Sponsored

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
I plan to level mine and add slightly larger tires as well. Whatever the mpg ends up at, it should still be at least as good as the other power trains after the same mods, if not a little better on average.

Have you off-roaded it stock though? Mine has been off-road 3-4 times already and I was surprised at how good it is. Not going to do any rock crawling, but it's decently capable as it comes.

OP
OP
VbPb

VbPb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Have you off-roaded it stock though? Mine has been off-road 3-4 times already and I was surprised at how good it is. Not going to do any rock crawling, but it's decently capable as it comes.
Yes, I did take my 2016 FX4 off road stock. The mud clogged the street treads and it was a trip sliding down the mountain.

My greatest concern are punctures. I’m usually 2-3 hours away from the edge of civilization. Those stock 41-lb onion skin tires are not what you want bet on out there. The side walls are too thin to survive much in the way
Of rocks or branches buried in the sand.

Cheers,

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
Yes, I did take my 2016 FX4 off road stock. The mud clogged the street treads and it was a trip sliding down the mountain.

My greatest concern are punctures. I’m usually 2-3 hours away from the edge of civilization. Those stock 41-lb onion skin tires are not what you want bet on out there. The side walls are too thin to survive much in the way

Cheers,
Gotcha. Yeah the tires that come on most of the trim levels won't be great for mud or puncture protection for sure. Mine came with the Michelin primacy. Looks a little like an AT tire, but is really more street oriented.

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
@VbPb I did exactly as you are thinking about doing, I leveled it with the Fox 2.0 coilovers and put on some 10 ply Wildpeaks. I am getting 20.1 mpg in free flowing 70mph traffic for a 52 mile roundtrip, whereas in the past before the mods I got around 21.9-22.1. The extra 80 pounds of rolling resistance and higher stance is what does it. I still love my powerboost. If anything the instant torque and 7.2kW genny are more than worth it for me.

Sponsored

Kliza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I am in Houston as well and bought the truck for the same reason you listed. I wish I was getting your mileage. I am at 18 PBG right now 1,500 miles in. We are doing a long road trip for Thanksgiving hopefully we will see some improvement from that trip. Did you do the 2" leveling yourself or did you have someone do it for you?

Kliza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I just punctured the inside side wall of my tire a week or so ago. No idea had I did it. Once I wear the stock tires I will look at upgrading them.

Kliza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
@mnstang how do you like the Fox Coil overs? Did you get the whole kit for the fronts and back or just the fronts?

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov