Sponsored

new to PowerBoost - how to drive it.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
I also got a sweet tonneau cover... for efficiency... haha. Got the Embark LS (Retrax Pro rebrand) and love it. Takes up a bit more of the bed space in the short box than I would have liked, but it's nice to know I can put weight on the aluminum (500lbs) and get nice racks to go over the top to carry bikes later.

I LOVE playing the EV video game! I get so mad when I watch the little "box" that the EV zone is in get smaller as I go up an incline or the battery starts needing to charge. I will try to feather the throttle to keep it in EV and always let out a "&^#@*(&$#" when I fail and the engine turns on. It's like losing a life in Mario lol.

Very interesting about Eco mode vs. Normal. I have been putting it into Eco, but if there's no benefit I'll leave it in Normal.

Out of curiosity, what octane fuel do you run? I got the truck this past weekend 1/2 full from the dealer and put in 87 to top it up, but I'm not opposed to higher if it's worth it for both wear and fuel economy.
I missed the notification for your reply.

93 is cheap where I live so I run with that. It’s subtle but feels better to me, smoother shifting and better perceived power.

This weekend I drove to Galveston and Buccees had 93 octane 0 ethanol. And holy shit. It’s amazing for this truck. It’s never driven better.
Sponsored

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
After reading about the PB, I bit the bullet and ordered the PowerBoost. Since I am new to the whole hybrid thing, is there a place to get good info on the best way to drive or work with the particulars of the PB.

I can't wait. I feel like a kid that been good all year waiting for Christmas. (build date 8/17/22)
https://trukbed.com/how-to-drive-a-...ZByvQ__w7dSUXPKfL2qKyru9Dt5dNdc8qmTEYbNab_5xU

Read this. I use some but not all at the same time. At least you'll have a little knowledge it's working. Also find a Powerboost Facebook page you'll learn much there.

Jerome10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Didn't read this entire thread but for me... set the dash gauges to the one that shows the bar indicating hybrid or electric, and shows you as you add throttle how close you're getting to busting past the upper end of the electric mode. Also shows you braking where you're keeping it in full regen mode.

I keep this on, helps me keep my throttle position high enough to accelerate but still keep it in electric mode. From dead stops all-electric acceleration is just way too slow but for rolling things and corners etc this helps maximize electric mode.

Do this, time your stops a bit... I can fairly easily achieve upper 20s in the city for trips of 4-6 miles according to the after-trip summary on the computer. There are days where if I hit the stop lights correctly I can pull over 30. I think my best ever on a 5-ish mile trip was 36mpg. Ha.

I'd have to check the computer but I reset it after getting the truck back from the dealer and I'm showing over 25mpg over the last couple thousand miles.

Yeah, I'm babying it. Yeah, if I drove more highway it would go down. But around town its honestly pretty darn good.

Premium.... just filled up first tank with it. I'm not sure if the truck has adjusted timing or not by now. I suspect it has. I might also agree it feels a little smoother or more robust than 87.

JIMFOUNTAIN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB 6.5' 701A