Sponsored

PowerBoosts - Poll --> How far can you get on just electric?

From stopped, how far can you go with just electric power?

• Total voters

itsdchz

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost FX4 XLT with Stuff
Ford F-150 PowerBoosts - Poll --> How far can you get on just electric? D8B13820-BAD6-45DB-97E9-CC167BCC0B10

I guess a little context:
First 20 min was idling/electric idling. I reached 65.6 MPG with a 24 mile total trip after this pic was taken.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I've ordered some parts for the PB to be able to tap into the HV system without having to modify the truck's as equipped parts. Considering building a 20kWh battery to put in the bed and do some testing about trying to keep it in electric mode much longer as well as power the AC. This truck has some weird logic behind it like for instance if you run in accessory only mode, you drain the HVB as it's running the DC-DC converter to take the battery's 285v down to 14v to power the accessories. Run the truck in accessory mode with the blower on high for ~20m and you'll get to hear your little starter crank the engine. It typically uses the belt starter generator for parked starts or the clutch on the hybrid motor when in drive.
I think you're only really going to see a benefit of such a larger battery if you can convert to a plug in model. You still have to charge the batteries either through regenerative braking or using the ice engine. I'm sure this is why most non-phev hybrids stick to 1.5-2kwh batteries. Quick to recharge, but offer assistance when needed (acceleration when ice engines are not as efficient).

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I think you're only really going to see a benefit of such a larger battery if you can convert to a plug in model. You still have to charge the batteries either through regenerative braking or using the ice engine. I'm sure this is why most non-phev hybrids stick to 1.5-2kwh batteries. Quick to recharge, but offer assistance when needed (acceleration when ice engines are not as efficient).
It'd most certainly be charged via mains (mostly). I'd have to use an independent controller to control when the external battery is allowed on the HV system. I've already got a lot of the logic on a flow chart. Part of the project is to expand the power generation capability up to 20kW bypassing the onboard 7.2 entirely (much easier than it sounds). It's actually a project to allow most everyone with a HVB (including BEV) the ability to safely tap it for vehicle-to-home power.

The AC compressor and the inverter share a 50a fuse (I believe the DC-DC converter is on this same feed as well), while the hybrid motor uses a 150 or 160a (don't have my notes on hand). I've got hours of data collected in an attempt to understand the logic of the system and how to exploit it for my projects.

The biggest surprise of yet (outside of the ~25% actual capacity usage of the HVB) is the fact that the DC-DC converter even in accessory mode is the preferential source of power thus draining the HVB well below it's normal operating limits. I didn't expect the high voltage bus to even be active in accessory mode, let alone be the primary source of non-running accessory power.

Sponsored

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
Machine Designer - Ford Motor Co.
But would it really? Not trying to be argumentative, but as you said the ice has to charge it if the brakes can't. There is a loss there and I would have to ask if it's worth the 3-5mpg you lose while it's charging.

I know why plug in hybrids have bigger batteries, but even the new sienna hybrid non-phev only has a 1.9kwh battery. The original non-plug in hybrid Prius only had a 1.78kwh battery.

From what I can tell most non-phev hybrids stay around the 1.5-2kwh range making me think anything above that and you lose more than you gain.

Now, make the powerboost a phev, and I'm with you! 20-30 miles on an initial charge with a bigger electric motor? I'd be in heaven!
well, no matter what, a bigger battery will still allow the truck to drive longer in Electric mode.
that in itself would be better.

Carbonized22

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 ford F150 XLT FX4 Powerboost , 2019 fusion hy
Occupation
Aviation quality inspector
Ford F-150 PowerBoosts - Poll --> How far can you get on just electric? 20220531_054325
here is a couple of my experiences heading to work
Ford F-150 PowerBoosts - Poll --> How far can you get on just electric? 20220609_053948

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
Machine Designer - Ford Motor Co.
its all in how you drive, i routinely get between 20- 25% of a total tank of gas. roughly 200-225 miles on 575 miles to a tank.

Oakstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB XLT 302A
I got my truck exactly one week ago and I’m confused. All my driving has been city with the exception of a 25 min highway trip on day one at 80-90km/h.

I’ve been “playing the video game” with EV mode and as you can see managed over 50% battery, but my fuel consumption is like 18.2mpg. That seems way off from what others get especially based on how much electric I’m achieving.

The range estimate started out at 900+km when I filled it but after driving that 95km is now in the low 700’s.

I’m just confused as I feel like I’m “doing it right” and am very light on the gas at all times. My ev coach percentages consistently show high 90’s.

Is it just because this is my first “Trip” and I need more time/fuel fills/resets to get a real picture?

Thanks!

Ford F-150 PowerBoosts - Poll --> How far can you get on just electric? E26021E9-89CF-4410-B21E-35DE0FE96D4C

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Trip distance and ambient temperature has a huge influence on fuel mileage.

The Powerboost is pretty much just an Ecoboost on a cold morning and a short commute.
Once the ECT gets up around 170F, it becomes much more fuel efficient.

Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I think the rolling resistance of the tires makes a huge difference in electric and overall mileage. I hated the factory Hankooks but they were quiet and great for mileage. If I could get a hot swap Dynapro AT2/MT Baja I'd do it in a heartbeat. Best compromise I've found is the legendary KO2.

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
It'd most certainly be charged via mains (mostly). I'd have to use an independent controller to control when the external battery is allowed on the HV system. I've already got a lot of the logic on a flow chart. Part of the project is to expand the power generation capability up to 20kW bypassing the onboard 7.2 entirely (much easier than it sounds). It's actually a project to allow most everyone with a HVB (including BEV) the ability to safely tap it for vehicle-to-home power.

The AC compressor and the inverter share a 50a fuse (I believe the DC-DC converter is on this same feed as well), while the hybrid motor uses a 150 or 160a (don't have my notes on hand). I've got hours of data collected in an attempt to understand the logic of the system and how to exploit it for my projects.

The biggest surprise of yet (outside of the ~25% actual capacity usage of the HVB) is the fact that the DC-DC converter even in accessory mode is the preferential source of power thus draining the HVB well below it's normal operating limits. I didn't expect the high voltage bus to even be active in accessory mode, let alone be the primary source of non-running accessory power.
Hammaman I'm super excited to see you taking on this project. I have been thinking about how it can be done.
Keep us informed.
Sponsored