Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
New to the 10r80 game - why do you think these are better or bulletproof? thanks
CDF clutch drum fails, torque converter lockup clutch fails, fluid pump fails. Lots of failure points on this transmission. It’s like the 5.4 3V Triton of transmissions. Has potential to be a good trans but ford would rather save $1.39 per unit and stuff it to the customer when it blows up. Same story with the old 5.4, just needed cast aluminum tensioners and a cast oil pump backer. Maybe $1.50 per motor but ford decided not to spare the expense. Most dealer service departments are kept in business by rebuilding out of warranty 10R80’s
Sponsored

RyanStroeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost - Leadfoot
CDF clutch drum fails, torque converter lockup clutch fails, fluid pump fails. Lots of failure points on this transmission. It’s like the 5.4 3V Triton of transmissions. Has potential to be a good trans but ford would rather save $1.39 per unit and stuff it to the customer when it blows up. Same story with the old 5.4, just needed cast aluminum tensioners and a cast oil pump backer. Maybe $1.50 per motor but ford decided not to spare the expense. Most dealer service departments are kept in business by rebuilding out of warranty 10R80’s
Ok thanks for the info. How could i tell if my 10r80 was experiecing premature failure for those items? what should i watch out for?

Kshort62

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 limited Powerboost,
Occupation
Process Control Technician
I was hoping this would my last truck ‘22 Limited PowerBoost zero deletes .. I have had 17 work orders in 18k miles .. from Cat failure to starter/generator failure to multiple electric issues including 12v batter replacement. Still fighting the smelly AC .. not sure how long I will put up with this stuff…

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
7 years or 90,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I bought the 8 year / 100,000 mile extended warranty and think selling it with some Ford warranty remaining will increase the price I can fetch.

... or, maybe much longer. If it keeps running as well as it has for the first 34,000 miles.

Abraham5G

First Name
Abraham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum BAP Star White EcoBoost
When I turn the truck on to accessory to jot down fuel trip data, and then start the truck, I always get a trailer brake fault warning that goes away within a second. Super weird but I just ignore it. Sounds like this happened while driving?
My EcoBoost does the same thing. Trailer brake fault message pops up for a fraction of a second when I switch from accessory mode to turning the engine on. Then the error goes away. Any fix to this?

Sponsored

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
Would these be compatible with the powerboost? My understanding is that this isn't just a 10r80 transmission, it's a 10r80-MHT.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Would these be compatible with the powerboost? My understanding is that this isn't just a 10r80 transmission, it's a 10r80-MHT.
It’s all the same with all the same weak points. Only difference is the added drive unit at the bell housing.

Edit: plenty of these with high miles too, just stating they are not problem free. When compared to the ZF 8 speed or GM 10 speed we have a lot more to keep an eye on.

Last edited:

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
The Powerboost version of the 10R80 has the electric motor installed in the front end of the transmission along with the over-running clutch. So it's a bit different in the casing design and length.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
It’s all the same with all the same weak points. Only difference is the added drive unit at the bell housing.

Edit: plenty of these with high miles too, just stating they are not problem free. When compared to the ZF 8 speed or GM 10 speed we have a lot more to keep an eye on.
Gonna be honest for the money if it's not plug and play for a PB, I can't see anyone wanting to be the first person to attempt this. The PB transmission is just different enough for me to say "I'm going to wait until someone makes a thread."

PBXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost

Sponsored

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
7 years or 140,000 miles. I'm halfway there. I'd love a Ford version of the RamCharger. No way I'm giving up my PPoB. I use it SO much.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Until I'm dead.
Similar for me. More like “Until they take my license away”.

My last truck (‘02 F250 Powerstroke) gave me 19 years / 365k miles. My car before that (‘87 Nissan Sentra) game me 17 years / 165k miles.

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502a Sport appearance
Occupation
Owner/Driver
Hey there!

I purchased a 23' XLT Powerboost in early February. So far I have loved it! But I have seen some horror stories from Powerboost owners and am doubting whether or not this can be my "forever" truck. I would like to use it for at least the next ten years, but the issues that others have had freak me out!

Soo my question for my fellow powerboost owners is.....how long do you plan to keep and use your Powerboost?
I'm waiting for the 2027 totally new Powerboost or whatever it may be called. I'm hoping by then it will be a lot better and worth keeping for the next 10 years.

Thor’s Stormboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew Area-51
My EcoBoost does the same thing. Trailer brake fault message pops up for a fraction of a second when I switch from accessory mode to turning the engine on. Then the error goes away. Any fix to this?
The cynic in me…close my eyes.
The only way to show is to mimic the steps that make it happen AT the dealership. And HOPE they can T/S as if it goes away they probably wouldn’t be able to fix anything

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
I know me.
How long my Powerboost will last is not likely the determing factor for how long I keep it.
Instead, I'm NOT going to move from it to another truck until someone builds something I like better.

It could easily be Ford if they'd just build V2 of what I already have.
I'm in the same boat. Can't really see myself wanting something other than a PowerBoost V2 at this point given how many boxes this truck checks for me.
Sponsored