Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
Teacher
Hey there!

I purchased a 23' XLT Powerboost in early February. So far I have loved it! But I have seen some horror stories from Powerboost owners and am doubting whether or not this can be my "forever" truck. I would like to use it for at least the next ten years, but the issues that others have had freak me out!

Soo my question for my fellow powerboost owners is.....how long do you plan to keep and use your Powerboost?
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
Between my modifications and knowledge gained from the community at large, my biggest concern is the trans holding up to the torque. Based on the design change that occurred a few months after mine was built, I get at least a free trans rebuild when it starts to act up. I don't know what the future holds or if some badass PHEV is on the horizon so can't say. I plan to keep it as long as is required to meet my needs, or if suddenly the grass is greener on the other side. I don't expect issues with the vehicle to be the cause of its sale.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Does your calculation change because it's a PowerBoost? How long would you keep a 3.5EB, 5.0, or 2.7EB?

OP
OP

Ayala

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
Teacher
Should my calculation change? That is what I am curious to hear from the community.

Any vehicle or engine can have issues. I think Fords engines are pretty solid for the most part, but 1,000 miles in I saw the "trailer brake system fault" warning pop up and it freaked me out. I have seen owners in this forum lose their Powerboost for weeks waiting for software to be reinstalled properly or for a module. This makes me doubt the reliability a bit. I am hoping the community can help me get rid of this doubt! I have seen some owners in the forum who have had no issues, but I occasionally come across something that freaks me out about its reliability and it makes me question whether or not I should plan to keep it in the long term. I love the truck, but am hoping I do not have to deal with ongoing issues in the future.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
Any vehicle can be a lemon. PBs seem to have a higher than normal representation online because early adopters tend to be that way. I specifically sought out the truck because of what it is.

Sponsored

js312

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
IT Director
Planning for between 5 and 6 years. That will be 125,000 miles or so.

Mszczewski

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
I was planning to use my 21 as my daily driver for at least 10 years and then, if it is still holding up well enough, use it as a dedicated overlanding rig. So far, 3 years into the 10-year plan, and not a lick of trouble that is Powerboost-specific. A couple of generic recalls that hit all of the F150s...

<edit for spelling>

Last edited:

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I have a 22 PB and only have 13K on it. The only issue it's been to the dealer for was for a heat exchanger coolant leak. Otherwise it's not had any mechanical issues. It was also on chip hold and sat waiting for parts for 8 months before it was delivered to the dealer.

The PB has an 8yr. 100K mile warranty.

Engine parts and labor will likely be more expensive by then but the battery itself, is more likely to be more powerful and cheaper.
If Ford doesn't update the min/max charge levels to that grater than 43/63% a more powerful battery won't make that much of an improvement to this generation. I'd wager even with more advanced battery tech about the best we could hope for will be slightly longer hybrid drive cycles between ICE activation and the ability to "idle" for longer than 18-20min with the AC on and the ICE not start up to recharge.

Livernoise has a PB specific e-boost tune that does this very thing and I am soooo tempted to do it. I don't want or need more power as it's got more than plenty. I'm just interested in the fact it extends the electric mode range and you can actually give it more than .0001% throttle from a stop sign and have it stay in electric mode while doing it.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I have a 22 PB and only have 13K on it. The only issue it's been to the dealer for was for a heat exchanger coolant leak. Otherwise it's not had any mechanical issues. It was also on chip hold and sat waiting for parts for 8 months before it was delivered to the dealer.

If Ford doesn't update the min/max charge levels to that grater than 43/63% a more powerful battery won't make that much of an improvement to this generation. I'd wager even with more advanced battery tech about the best we could hope for will be slightly longer hybrid drive cycles between ICE activation and the ability to "idle" for longer than 18-20min with the AC on and the ICE not start up to recharge.

Livernoise has a PB specific e-boost tune that does this very thing and I am soooo tempted to do it. I don't want or need more power as it's got more than plenty. I'm just interested in the fact it extends the electric mode range and you can actually give it more than .0001% throttle from a stop sign and have it stay in electric mode while doing it.
I believe that Ford selected that 43/63% region for two reasons: 1st its linear as to voltage vs charge state, 2nd it maximizes life of the battery. I have a 2006 Escape Hybrid still on its OEM Traction Battery and around 450,000 miles. when new it would go 2.5 miles on the battery. BTW that battery is string of "D" cell NiMH batteries. My PB will only make about 0.8 miles on the battery. So I think they could do with a larger battery size since it's a heavier truck to haul around.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
If Ford doesn't update the min/max charge levels…zzzzz
I’ll just put you down for 10 years and 200,000 miles unless we hand it down to a family member like me 😁

Edit: I mean like I plan to do not that we’re family and I can’t wait for your truck to be mine 🤓

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I know me.
How long my Powerboost will last is not likely the determing factor for how long I keep it.
Instead, I'm NOT going to move from it to another truck until someone builds something I like better.

It could easily be Ford if they'd just build V2 of what I already have.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
"My PB will only make about 0.8 miles on the battery."

Wow, under what conditions?

On the flat, at 30 ish mph, I can get couple miles, at least.
Sponsored