Sponsored

How has the 9.75 axle not been recalled!

Nighsight

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
I pulled the NHTSA data and it looked like the sheering of axle bolts has been reported on 2021/2022 F150 trucks more than 45 times. What is it going to take for them to force Ford to recall these axles.

My truck has been at the dealership for two months waiting on the right side axle. The dealership says that they are not authorized to change out the left side because it hasn't failed and my truck isn't in the date range of the CSP program. Ford customer service doesn't comprehend the problem, and or doesn't care to dig further. Dealership says there's nothing they can do. This is ridiculous!

Does anyone have contact information for someone at Ford that ai can talk to about this issue. This very well could be my last Ford if they can't stand behind their product.
Sponsored

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
I guess the question is whether it has caused any safety issues versus just inconvenience and downtime - don't know the answer to this, just suggesting that this might be the reason it hasn't (yet) become a recall.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
The 9.75 is fine, it's the 9.75 HD max tow that's the issue. Personally looking at the parts I don't believe there to be an easy fix. The sheared bolt is the symptom, not the problem.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Same deal, GM when a lifter issue is reported, they only replace one bank...not both. Until the other side goes out...which is common.
Same on Rams exhaust manifold.
Its frustration, but all manufactures are pretty common.

Could have sworn I've read people went and got their own, better bolt and replaced?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Other dealerships are able to make this repair with quick acquisition of the axle parts now. I wonder what the hold up is?

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Even an online shopper is getting a warning of only 2-4 days wait on shipping

Ford F-150 How has the 9.75 axle not been recalled! Screenshot_20230908_165740_Brave

Ford F-150 How has the 9.75 axle not been recalled! Screenshot_20230908_165527_Brave

OP
OP

Nighsight

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Wow, I wonder how accurate that is. If that's the case, then what the f"#@! They can't be that incompetent.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There are dealerships that have them in stock, according to some reports. The supply chain IS a fiasco when this first reared its ugly head, similar to the exhaust heat exchanger leak.

But eventually the supply chain adjusts for the dilemma. It sucks way worse for the first unfortunate fellas with the issues, but it shouldn't be nearly as bad for those two issues now.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I think the ultimate question is….is there any safety issue related to the bolt sheer? I do not believe so (correct me if I’m wrong). So you may not see a recall.

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 KR 5.0L 157"WB RHD "Emaciated Edition"
@Nighsight , maybe show them CSP22B34 Supplement #1, lists part numbers , what to check for and if problem is present, to replace both left and right side axles. If your vehicle falls outside of the listed affected vehicles, the dealer may need to talk to ford to have the repair paid for by them. Outside or inside the list makes zero difference if the failure is the same. The dealer is either incompetent in not having the correct CSP information, or they're lazy in not going to bat for you to Ford.

Attachments

Sponsored

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 KR 5.0L 157"WB RHD "Emaciated Edition"
The ford letter to some affected customers lists the cause as "thread variations in the bolted joint". We do not know if those variations are in the bolt thread or the axle thread. If, as has happened, others replace the bolt for peace of mind, my advice would be to still have the dealer check their part numbers against the CSP attached above and get them replaced, even if one has replaced the bolts by oneself.

Ed21

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Xlt SCREW
Occupation
Retired
There have been some folks who’ve had the new axles installed and still had the bolts break. The saga continues.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
There have been some folks who’ve had the new axles installed and still had the bolts break. The saga continues.
Indeed, that's why I think the issue is much bigger than a little bolt. The bolt shearing is the symptom of a larger problem. Some how it's getting loads transferred to it that it's not supposed to be seeing. That's supposed to hold the axle shaft against the wheel hub, not actually take any load. Something is binding up some how snapping that thing right off.

The only thing I could see is a well-bound shaft in the spiders and hub twisting and pulling the axle in away from the hub. Given that the reports of pavement queens that don't get beat on shearing the bolt, that doesn't really explain it. I don't see the axle being that weak or normal driving forces reaching those levels. Only time will tell -- ford certainly won't until something happens and nhtsa slaps them.

Last edited:

Ed21

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Xlt SCREW
Occupation
Retired
Just for curiosity sake, is there an aftermarket replacement option other than replacing the entire rear end for this ordeal? Eventually we’ll have to pay for this down the road with our own dime and when that happens I’m not giving it to Ford.

Ed21

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Xlt SCREW
Occupation
Retired
Just for curiosity sake, is there an aftermarket replacement option other than replacing the entire rear end for this ordeal? Eventually we’ll have to pay for this down the road with our own dime and when that happens I’m not giving it to Ford.
And if not it might be worth an axle manufacturer to come up with a permanent fix for it, although I don’t really know how many vehicles are actually in need of it numbers wise.
Sponsored