Sponsored

Time to push for a recall on 9.75” 3/4 floating locker axle issue.

Ntsi

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 lariat Powerboost
Occupation
CTO
Are you referring to the attached 2/14/2023 Ford Customer Satisfaction Program 22B34 (which has been posted in other forum threads)?

Please do not confuse a"CSP" with a "Recall", they are two very different things in terms of consumer notification (or lack thereof) and implementation / administration / NHTSA 'enforcement'.
Yes, they are 2 completely different things. I understand that. My son said it was a recall that just came down and would get the information for me tomorrow when he is in the shop. He knows I have been watching for it, since I have had both rear axle bolts break and they replaced them on my truck already. When I get the information on it, I will post it. I hope they made some changes to the parts to address the real cause of the issue.
Sponsored

isthatahemi

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat SCREW 5.0 3.73
Occupation
Manager
Ford didn't even cover our truck to be repaired, because it's "out of the VIN range". What a rotten situation.

We got a bad will adjustment of $630.00

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
Yes, they are 2 completely different things. I understand that. My son said it was a recall that just came down and would get the information for me tomorrow when he is in the shop. He knows I have been watching for it, since I have had both rear axle bolts break and they replaced them on my truck already. When I get the information on it, I will post it. I hope they made some changes to the parts to address the real cause of the issue.
I also heard it became a recall, but it is only for a specific VIN range....
Please post any updated info you have.

Ed21

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Xlt SCREW
Occupation
Retired
Mine falls within the effected build date but I have not been notified of any recall.

lexionman575

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 platinum powerboost
Can anyone advise or confirm if the tone ring for the antilock brake sensor Comes on the axle shaft. My washer failed not my bolt and chewed up the tone ring

Sponsored

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I had my 21 PB max tow in the shop yesterday (3/8) and the third item listed on the service paperwork is

"10F0: Recall, 22B34 Rear axle half-shaft and hub assembly replacement. Performed recall 22B34 inspected both rear axle start bolts, both are present, passes interim inspection, verified repair"

That sure sounds like a recall to me.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I had my 21 PB max tow in the shop yesterday (3/8) and the third item listed on the service paperwork is

"10F0: Recall, 22B34 Rear axle half-shaft and hub assembly replacement. Performed recall 22B34 inspected both rear axle start bolts, both are present, passes interim inspection, verified repair"

That sure sounds like a recall to me.
The tech can type anything they want to in there. It's not a "recall" in the sense that it's an official notice to the NHTSA, it's a Customer Satisfaction Program notice already mentioned.

Ford F-150 Time to push for a recall on 9.75” 3/4 floating locker axle issue. 1678475515183

navi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
The latest letter I got regarding 22B34 (July 2023) made it v sound like the assembly should be replaced out right as opposed to the last letter which suggested an inspection first. I just took it in for the wiper motor recall and they stated 22B34 is only inspection and tighten so did not order parts. Can anyone confirm?

Ford F-150 Time to push for a recall on 9.75” 3/4 floating locker axle issue. IMG_6385

Ed21

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Xlt SCREW
Occupation
Retired
It's a real riddle for sure. Called my dealer this morning and was told the letter is for an inspection only. One paragraph says the dealer is authorized to replace both rear axle shafts and hub assemblies. The next paragraph says the vehicle requires an inspection to determine if parts need to be ordered. Also the earlier letter (2/14/2023) says all vehicles that DO NOT have separated wheels or bolts are eligible for repair at a future date when parts are available. Program ends 2/28/2024. I guess that means it's our problem after that!

RJP

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum Power Boost
Well discovered mine today while I was having the tires rotated. Didnt even know what it was until I posted on another thread that I had started. Original1y I called my dealership and gave her the service number that was provided to me from the other thread and they told me that ford will fix both sides of the vehicle. I asked if it was ok to drive and they said yes. We hung up and she was going to call me back when they have the parts. 5 mins later she called and said that Ford has now made it a safety recall and not to drive the Vehicle until its fixed. They will bring me a loaner and they will pick up the vehicle. That does NOT sound too healthy for the vehicle to me if they are going to do that.
Ford F-150 Time to push for a recall on 9.75” 3/4 floating locker axle issue. IMG_0865
Ford F-150 Time to push for a recall on 9.75” 3/4 floating locker axle issue. IMG_0864

Sponsored

RJP

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum Power Boost
I am starting this thread after visiting with the local Ford dealer and understanding that Ford has made no design changes to the 9.75” 3/4 floating locker axle in spite of all of the consumers whose vehicles have ended up being affected by the high rate of failure of the Axle Retainer bolt.

From all I have read Ford will, more often than not, ‘retain’ your vehicle if they discover your axle retainer bolt is broken until such time as they can replace the axle, yes the axle, and hub that is apparently part of the two part system. I’ve seen many here claim that Ford will say it’s a safety issue to keep it until they fix it. Personally, I think it’s because they don’t want to have to fix worse damage to other axle and brake parts if the vehicle continues to be driven.

Regardless, if Ford Service keeps citing safety, but there has been no change since this problem started showing up in MY21 F150s, then it may be time to engage the NTSB. If you have been impacted by this, you may find yourself helping yourself out along with the rest of us potential victims by going here,

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#vehicle

and going through the process to engage the NTSB.
I as well just wrote them today and I hope everybody that has this problem even if fixed already also writes to them as well.
Today I took mine to another dealer and they told me to leave the vehicle there for 3 weeks to get a response back from Ford and wouldnt supply a rental until ford approves it. Didnt even read the CSP or just took a quick look at it.

23STX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150
From what I’ve read this only affects 9.75”s with Max Tow package? I don’t have the Max Tow package but do have a 9.75 rear axle.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
From what I’ve read this only affects 9.75”s with Max Tow package? I don’t have the Max Tow package but do have a 9.75 rear axle.
you are correct it does not affect “standard” 9.75 axles

9.75 Max Tow can now be ordered under the colloquial name of the ‘MIN TOW PACKAGE’

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
Not sure OP is correct. The service bulletin states this only affects certain dated builds, which would mean they did correct the problem...
I am guessing through Mayor Pete's supply chain issues, Ford got a crap batch of bolts and used them for a short duration.
I took my truck in at 9000 with bolts I bought and they said "you're not in the date frame".
I'm at 15k now and still good...
(July 22 build)

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Not sure OP is correct. The service bulletin states this only affects certain dated builds, which would mean they did correct the problem...
I am guessing through Mayor Pete's supply chain issues, Ford got a crap batch of bolts and used them for a short duration.
I took my truck in at 9000 with bolts I bought and they said "you're not in the date frame".
I'm at 15k now and still good...
(July 22 build)
There are multiple people, me included with my Nov 21 build, that have experienced this issue with trucks outside of the date ranges in the CSP. Mine was fixed without drama under the 5/60 powertrain regardless of the CSP. But also having the 8/100 ESP, it'll be covered for a long time, so I'm not that worried if it happens again in the next 6 years or 80k miles.
Sponsored