Vehicles
Ford F-150
Occupation
Employed!
Let me summarize it all:

• You can run 87 just fine
  • Like all Ecoboosts you'll get more power and mileage from 91/93 octane
  • No, the mileage gain won't cover the cost of premium
  • Running E10/all gas doesn't matter much. If anything turbos like alcohol as long as you don't store it for longer than a month.
  • Just get the best octane and Top Tier gas you can.
  • Enjoy sub 5.6 second 0-60 times.
Sponsored

Karytas80

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT PB FX4
Since I picked up my truck back in February, I only have filled up my truck about 6 times so far with 3429 miles on it as of now. I tried 93 octane two times but I didn't notice any significant difference in gas mileage. In my 25 miles commute to work(mixed local streets & highway drive), I average between 23-25 regardless the fuel grade. So I only fill with 87 but I plan to put 91 or 93 in the summer when it gets over 90s in NJ.

Last edited:

Blueonblue

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT Contractor
Im also in Socal (Redlands) and I tried a tank with 87 then a tank with 91 and I can tell a difference with towing our trailer. The EB definetly likes 91+ when it needs to perform. I just keep 91 in the tank all the time now because I could tell a different. I think the engine creates more boost when its on 91. If you want to do an experiment get a $20 obd2 scanner with datalog and plug it in. I got around 15.5 PSI boost with 87 and around 17.7 with 91. The engine knows.

nrmedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost 302A; 2023 Tacoma TRD Pro
I've put E10 87, E15 88, and E10 93 in my powerboost. The only other options available to me would be E85 (nope), E10 89, or Rec 90. There is no way the Rec 90 will offset the increase in cost. I don't see the need to try E10 89. I'll be going back to E10 93 on my next fill up. To me the throttle response and power is noticeable enough for the premium.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
This engine has a compression ratio of 10.5:1. I believe Ford designed it to operate on 91 octane. Since it has Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) it is also less subject to detonation. The Ford words on 87 octane tell me that Ford derated the engine electronically as a sales ploy by adjusting things. The basic Otto Cycle engine cannot make more power than its design compression ratio and octane, so the only thing left for Ford was to derate the engine electronically. That GDI is a real advantage in setting up the engine to be able to sell to cost conscious families and businesses. Will it produce more power with 91 vs 87 octane? Yes, and I suspect when you're towing in the hot mid-summer, climbing South Pass in Wyoming (a long steep climb), you'll be getting better MPG as the engine doesn't have to enrich the mixture quite as much to protect from turbo boosting detonation.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Yes, and I suspect when you're towing in the hot mid-summer climbing, South Pass in Wyoming (a long steep climb), you'll be getting better MPG as the engine doesn't have to enrich the mixture quite as much to protect from turbo boosting detonation.
I hope that's me at the wheel someday soon with 93 octane and a 7000lb. TT climbing that pass.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If you put 87 octane in the truck and the knock sensors do NOT pick up any hint of Knock, then the pcm will not lower the OAR, nor will it reduce timing advance.

Yet, it WILL do all 3. Because the knock sensors will "sense" the KR, thus reduce the OAR and reduce timing advance.

I really don't think it's a marketing ploy. Rather it is a very sophisticated engine torque management solution for a vehicle designed to be used on variable kinds of fuel and get the most out of them while protecting the engine.

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
One dilemma is that with some brands of fuel, the higher octane blends also include better additives and cleaners. While you may not need it for performance, an occasional tank or two might help keep things cleaner. I tend to use 91-93 when towing our Airstream and 89 normally.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
If you put 87 octane in the truck and the knock sensors do NOT pick up any hint of Knock, then the pcm will not lower the OAR, nor will it reduce timing advance.

Yet, it WILL do all 3. Because the knock sensors will "sense" the KR, thus reduce the OAR and reduce timing advance.

I really don't think it's a marketing ploy. Rather it is a very sophisticated engine torque management solution for a vehicle designed to be used on variable kinds of fuel and get the most out of them while protecting the engine.
Call it what you will, the fact is that Ford foot stomps the "runs on regular" thing. There're alot of families out west here that are quite frugal... and they listen to that...

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
After seven pages and 99 posts, I'm declaring on post 100 that I'll only use 91 or 93 going forward. I'm saying goodbye to 87.
National championship and a self imposed intervention? Actualization can’t be far behind!

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Big question: is there a benefit to engine longevity from running higher octane? I would assume that if anything the engine "de-rating" itself as gros venture says would actually reduce stress on parts and blow by, but does that make any difference? Over 150k miles? Over 300k miles?

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Big question: is there a benefit to engine longevity from running higher octane? I would assume that if anything the engine "de-rating" itself as gros venture says would actually reduce stress on parts and blow by, but does that make any difference? Over 150k miles? Over 300k miles?
I'll tell you when I get there...

Jimmy Young

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-F150 lariat
I'm also in SoCal and only use 91 as that's the highest grade we can get out here. Why we don't get 93 is beyond me. There is a 76 near me that sales racing fuel that is 100. I have read that people will but 10 gallons of 100 and then 10 of 87 in. Not going to waste my time doing that. The truck seems to run great with the 91 not knocks ever. almost at 7K mileage now.
Sponsored