gas octane question for PB F150

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
No longevity difference. It’s just more power or less power. Those of us who want more power, run premium :)
Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
There is the myth that "hi octane" fuel is better for your engine. The gas companies have made much of that. I recall the days when Sunoco had "Dial-a-grade" gas pumps where you could select anything from 91 octane (then regular) to 101 octane. Set aside a discussion of additives, the reality is that octane higher than the engine needs is wasting money. As I've read these posts, I've concluded that the engine is designed for 91 octane. Ford then derated it to use 87 octane. Two things set this up: Gasoline Direct injection and various spark timing/knock detectors etc. Say it any way you will, being able to say their truck "runs on regular" helps sales to cost conscious families & businesses. So, should you run 91 octane all the time? Well I think not. If you're a daily driver & not hauling or out on the Interstates alot, use regular. If you're hauling loads & trailers or on the interstates alot, use 91... My point about wasting money rules: if you're using higher octane than needed... you're spewing dollars out the tail pipe... As to additives? Well, I've been driving since the 60s... and I've always used the lowest cost gasoline I could find... Have not had a peep of trouble related to that.

STM

First Name
SM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F 150 XLT
Occupation
Home Builder
This has been a very interesting and vigorous discussion on a topic that probably has quite a bit of subjectivity to it!

I am not sure there is a definitive answer that works for all in every driving condition! I guess each of us needs to do what works best for us..

I have a PB and while I don't tow or carry heavy loads, I just use 93 octane because I feel it gives me a slightly higher mileage (definitely not enough to offset the price differential)..

I have learned a lot from the different contributors to this thread! Thank you!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm also in SoCal and only use 91 as that's the highest grade we can get out here. Why we don't get 93 is beyond me. There is a 76 near me that sales racing fuel that is 100. I have read that people will but 10 gallons of 100 and then 10 of 87 in. Not going to waste my time doing that. The truck seems to run great with the 91 not knocks ever. almost at 7K mileage now.
You shouldn't experience knock whether you are running 87,89,92,93

One of the significant changes Ford made on the so called "Gen3" 3.5 Ecoboost (2021) is they upgraded the already really good knock sensor array to an even more sensitive and tuned sensor array. (I think they increased the number of sensors and the mounting location as well)

So if you are using 87, with its less resistance to knock, the sensors will detect the onset of pre-ignition and immediately the pcm will pull timing.

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Black Pack -22 Expedition Stealth - 03 HD
I run 94 in my 5.0. I.drive it fairly hard and have a LM tune. I just prefer the performance I get out of the higher octane partnered with the tune.
Sponsored