Sponsored

Considering trading 22' F350 SRW Tremor 6.7 for 22 F150 PB, specific questions about daily commute route

Joe_Lee

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB FX4
Hello,

I currently have a 2022 F350 SRW Tremor 6.7 that I bought last September. Since that time, I sold my center console offshore boat and went back to a bass boat (4000-4500 lbs rigged).

My son has a 2019 F150 XLT Sport 4x4 2.7 eco boost that I have been very impressed with and I've spent a fair amount of miles in it towing a bass boat and unloaded.

So, I put a deposit (refundable) on a 22 F-150 supercrew Fx4 power boost that is in transit.

Here are the details of my daily commute which I typically drive 5 days each week.

2 miles in my neighborhood 25 mph with 3 stops.

8 miles on a causeway 55 mph no stops.

9 miles interstate 70 mph no stops.

6 miles from interstate to office 35-45 mph 3 traffic lights.

10 miles for lunch all city driving.

Then the return trip home.

I would appreciate opinions on whether this the powerboost is a good choice for this type of typical driving versus a regular ecoboost?

Thank you!
Sponsored

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
I think the Powerboost would be great for this type of driving. You should be using electric for significant chunks of that commute.

OP
OP

Joe_Lee

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB FX4
I think the Powerboost would be great for this type of driving. You should be using electric for significant chunks of that commute.
Thank you.

This was my assessment after several hours of reading these forums and others but I wanted to ask for responses. I appreciate you commenting!

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0

I think the Powerboost would do quite well for you that way. I don’t go to the office often, but I did yesterday. 18 miles running 60-70, 2 miles of stop and go traffic, and then 2 miles of city driving. I averaged 25.6mpg for that trip. On the way home I took a different route, about 15 miles total and spent the whole way in traffic moving 25-45mph. It always does great in that, got 30mpg. Most of my tanks are 22-24mpg average.

The only time they don’t do great is 70-80mph straight highway trips. But they don’t do any worse than a normal ecoboost in that situation.

OP
OP

Joe_Lee

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB FX4
I think the Powerboost would do quite well for you that way. I don’t go to the office often, but I did yesterday. 18 miles running 60-70, 2 miles of stop and go traffic, and then 2 miles of city driving. I averaged 25.6mpg for that trip. On the way home I took a different route, about 15 miles total and spent the whole way in traffic moving 25-45mph. It always does great in that, got 30mpg. Most of my tanks are 22-24mpg average.

The only time they don’t do great is 70-80mph straight highway trips. But they don’t do any worse than a normal ecoboost in that situation.
Thank you!

That is very similar to my typical driving. I don't do a lot of interstate driving over 75 and that is weekends, my daily interstate driving is kept to 70-72.

Sponsored

b4hand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost Carbonized Grey
This is the exact reason I got my powerboost. my driving is about the same with a "once every 2 months" towing trip carrying my car on an open trailer. I usually get 22-26 in my loop, vs getting a 6.7 250 just to tow every once in a while.

OP
OP

Joe_Lee

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB FX4
This is the exact reason I got my powerboost. my driving is about the same with a "once every 2 months" towing trip carrying my car on an open trailer. I usually get 22-26 in my loop, vs getting a 6.7 250 just to tow every once in a while.
Although I do tow my bass boat 2 or 3 Saturdays a month, most of the tows are 30-40 miles round trip with an occasional long tow.

If I got 22 mpg on a consistent basis on my commute, I would be happy, anything over would be great.

Thanks for the reply!

RT21KRH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 2013 Lariat
Occupation
Physicist
Hello,

I currently have a 2022 F350 SRW Tremor 6.7 that I bought last September. Since that time, I sold my center console offshore boat and went back to a bass boat (4000-4500 lbs rigged).

My son has a 2019 F150 XLT Sport 4x4 2.7 eco boost that I have been very impressed with and I've spent a fair amount of miles in it towing a bass boat and unloaded.

So, I put a deposit (refundable) on a 22 F-150 supercrew Fx4 power boost that is in transit.

Here are the details of my daily commute which I typically drive 5 days each week.

I would appreciate opinions on whether this the powerboost is a good choice for this type of typical driving versus a regular ecoboost?

Thank you!
I think the PB will do well on that route. I’ve had mine a little over 1 year with 21,500 miles and 22.1 mpg over the 21,000. The 8 miles on causeway at 55 if flat will probably be 24 or so and the interstate around 20-22. You need to be careful about the speed though because the aero drag increases as the square of the speed so goes up fast. Flat roads at 40 mph can be 26. It is very sensitive to grade even a slight downhill will keep you electric for long stretches. This is the interesting thing about the PB it can really be an advantage around town. I don’t think people realize this and it’s quite different than the tundra or Ram “e TORQUE’ ENGINES. Towing or at 80 mph highway it defaults to a regular ecoboost which is OK. I’ve been off the interstates the last few hundred miles and I just filled up it calculated a 726 mile range or 726/31 = 23.4 mpg average. BTW, 21000 miles and not one issue with this truck so far.

OP
OP

Joe_Lee

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB FX4
I think the PB will do well on that route. I’ve had mine a little over 1 year with 21,500 miles and 22.1 mpg over the 21,000. The 8 miles on causeway at 55 if flat will probably be 24 or so and the interstate around 20-22. You need to be careful about the speed though because the aero drag increases as the square of the speed so goes up fast. Flat roads at 40 mph can be 26. It is very sensitive to grade even a slight downhill will keep you electric for long stretches. This is the interesting thing about the PB it can really be an advantage around town. I don’t think people realize this and it’s quite different than the tundra or Ram “e TORQUE’ ENGINES. Towing or at 80 mph highway it defaults to a regular ecoboost which is OK. I’ve been off the interstates the last few hundred miles and I just filled up it calculated a 726 mile range or 726/31 = 23.4 mpg average. BTW, 21000 miles and not one issue with this truck so far.

Thank you for the great info! My area is pretty flat (coastal AL) and the causeway is a flat stretch of road.
Thank you!

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
My PB is my daily driver as well, but I still can work from home, so my towing/commute ratio is nowhere near where I thought it would be.

We do 1 weekend/ month, and tend to have 1 major trip / year with our 7600# travel trailer. But with almost no commute miles, my ratio for towing is 30+%.

i am still glad I have the Powerboost for the tow torque and Pro Power to run my trailer when needed.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Joe_Lee

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB FX4
My PB is my daily driver as well, but I still can work from home, so my towing/commute ratio is nowhere near where I thought it would be.

We do 1 weekend/ month, and tend to have 1 major trip / year with our 7600# travel trailer. But with almost no commute miles, my ratio for towing is 30+%.

i am still glad I have the Powerboost for the tow torque and Pro Power to run my trailer when needed.
Thank you!

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Screw 145" 3.5 Powerboost Full Hybrid
Powerboost.. we almost purchased the eco, however after reading and doing some math, it made sense for us to get the powerboost.. plus we tow a 28' travel trailer from MA to CA and then AZ. The powerboost comes in handy in the hills / mountains and in slow traffic. With-out the trailer, I average 26mpg when Im not in the interstate, otherwise its around 23.. but i milk the electric drive.

Plus the thing is a beast.. Fast, yet very comfortable and tows like nothing is there for the most part.. although I think 28' and 8k lbs is about the max; and we did almost all of the off road trails around death valley and sedona with no issues.. Make sure to get the 7.2kw gen if possible.. runs my trailer with now issues at all.. plus off roading its nice to have a real power air pump run off a generator to put air back in tires.. good luck and have fun..

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
350 vs 150?
well, at least you won't have to wear a kidney belt

Thunderchief

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lariat Powerboost, 2021 Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired AF Fighter Pilot
I would suggest you check the Exhaust Heat Exchanger for coolant leaks BEFORE you accept the truck.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Relatively
Thank you for the great info! My area is pretty flat (coastal AL) and the causeway is a flat stretch of road.
Thank you!
Another plus is it's also pretty warm where you live. Below 40 degrees or so the electric miles drop off significantly and the Power Flow screen (center console) shows the engine on due to "Engine Cold". The EPA wants those catalytic converters to be/stay hot.

Other than in the cold of winter, our PB quite consistently delivers 30% electric miles.

And as @Mikes2021F150Hybrid said "it's a beast!" On a recent trip with our Lance 2185 trailer just as we were merging onto the freeway the car next to us in the left lane, moved into the right lane. :mad: Floored the PB and woosh - blew past that car with ease!

-Eric
Sponsored