First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport FX4
Occupation
Appraiser/Assessor
My 2 go to tires are Cooper Discovery AT3 4s and Falken Wildpeak A/T3W. Both come in LT sizes.

I like both better than the KO2's. Just my opinion.

The Cooper is a tad bit better in snow. The Falken a bit better off road.

Generals aint bad. If i get the General Grabbers like reported by those selecting the LT option, i should be good until they need replaced.

I absolutely hate having to replace new tires.

Good to hear the dealer set you up.
I looked at the General's real close, they were one of my options. I had to give him 3 choices and he was able to get me the BFG's. We don't get much snow here, but I've had decent luck in our once a year snows that we typically get. We mostly get ice and they all suck on that unless you have real snow tires. The Falken's I had on an Explorer my son drove at one point. I liked those as well. He said they did great in the mud! lol!
Sponsored

ib_jigged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, 2013 Edge Limited, 2023 Explorer ST
Option only available for FX4. Gotta check the box.
I was just saying that my FX4 did not come with them. I did not want General Grabber APT LT tires so I did not check the box. I wanted Falken WildPeaks that I swapped for before buying the truck.

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
Don’t forget about the floor mats that come with the FX4. Besides the sticker makes the ladies swoon, your hair line stay put, gives you 6 pack abs and raises your testosterone.

OP
OP
hammerhead2411

hammerhead2411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
If the worst off roading you’re going to be doing is a rough ranch road you might be better off ditching the fx4 and looking at the CCD option. It might make the time spent in the truck a bit nicer, I know I’ve noticed it helps with some rough spots that I know I would have really felt had I not gone with the CCD.
What's CCD?

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Don’t forget about the floor mats that come with the FX4. Besides the sticker makes the ladies swoon, your hair line stay put, gives you 6 pack abs and raises your testosterone.
I took those floor mats out as soon as I got the truck home. I can't stand how they don't cover under the gas pedal. I do like the F-150 on them, but that's it. I have Husky x-act contour ones. If they Fx4 ones are so good, maybe someone on here will want to buy them from me?

*Note: I love the material the ford ones are made out of (similar to the husky ones), but I can't stand that the drivers doesn't cover under the gas and that the rear seat doesn't cover as much as the husky ones. I tried to sell my '17 ones, but no one would buy them. I ended up giving them to my Son-in-law as his '17 didn't come with them.

Sponsored

ib_jigged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, 2013 Edge Limited, 2023 Explorer ST
I took those floor mats out as soon as I got the truck home. I can't stand how they don't cover under the gas pedal. I do like the F-150 on them, but that's it. I have Husky x-act contour ones. If they Fx4 ones are so good, maybe someone on here will want to buy them from me?

*Note: I love the material the ford ones are made out of (similar to the husky ones), but I can't stand that the drivers doesn't cover under the gas and that the rear seat doesn't cover as much as the husky ones. I tried to sell my '17 ones, but no one would buy them. I ended up giving them to my Son-in-law as his '17 didn't come with them.
I did the same. I ran the FX4 mats for a month and then ordered the Husky's. If the FX4 mats would cover under pedal and the sides better, they would be great! Not for me in the northern MN winters.

GeorgeK

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Self employed
Hello everyone,
Just wanted to see yalls thoughts on this topic. I am the only one that think the Fx4 upgrade is a waste of money? I would like to see Ford offer bilsteins or foxes, or some other added benefit to this "offroad" package. To me, skid plates aren't really something to write home about. I do a ton of "offroad" drving, all dirt and rock roads around the ranch (not very laboring to a truck), and the skid plates are irrelevant. And the locking diff is an option I just add to my 4x4 builds anyway. I think people who actually need skid plates are usually going to spend money on aftermarket offroad parts anyway? I guess what i'm hoping for is a package that suites a daily driver looking for a better offroad ride, not a bare minimum rock crawler package. Thoughts? Questions? Comments?
The only benefit is a little added protection of the composite oil pan and transmission pan there’s a lot of composite materials underneath the truck and I like knowing it’s protected

twelpo19

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Rach, 2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Consultant
Lots of opinions, so might as well share my experience / logic.

The KR purchase had many of the FX4 features including the all-important to me rear locker, AT transfer case, modes for off-roading. I did not care for the floor mats as like the carpet mats and knew could add WeatherTech at will. Likewise, the shocks did not give added travel and the truck drove great so not a big deal here.

The part was missing were the engine/t-case skid plates, which I added with the help of this forum. (Thank you.)

Need and use should drive cost and purchase -- how I assessed. Although the sticker comments are funny.

OP
OP
hammerhead2411

hammerhead2411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Lots of opinions, so might as well share my experience / logic.

The KR purchase had many of the FX4 features including the all-important to me rear locker, AT transfer case, modes for off-roading. I did not care for the floor mats as like the carpet mats and knew could add WeatherTech at will. Likewise, the shocks did not give added travel and the truck drove great so not a big deal here.

The part was missing were the engine/t-case skid plates, which I added with the help of this forum. (Thank you.)

Need and use should drive cost and purchase -- how I assessed. Although the sticker comments are funny.
Any recommendations on the skid plates? I'm interesting in installing some.

s.v.t.

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Building..
It's not high-end off road stuff, either for rock crawling or desert running. But from a re-sale standpoint, it's probably worth it as basically just having the sticker adds value. If that's not a concern, may not be worth it.
I hate to be "that guy", but this is one of two reasons why I did - in fact the main reason. The other benefits of the locker, crawl, and descent control we're the latter.

Sponsored

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
I opted against the added cost due to: Cost, cost, cost, added weight, stiffer ride, and oh yea... Cost! I don't envision doing any serious off-roading, so steep inclines & down grades are not of concern. But I did get the optional lockers. Frankly, we've been using 4x4's for decades without the help of of all this digital enhancement. It's neat to have if you've got the bucks but I figured I could upgrade the suspension and skid plates with better quality units and less expensive if I so desired.
And stickers can be replaced!

OP
OP
hammerhead2411

hammerhead2411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I opted against the added cost due to: Cost, cost, cost, added weight, stiffer ride, and oh yea... Cost! I don't envision doing any serious off-roading, so steep inclines & down grades are not of concern. But I did get the optional lockers. Frankly, we've been using 4x4's for decades without the help of of all this digital enhancement. It's neat to have if you've got the bucks but I figured I could upgrade the suspension and skid plates with better quality units and less expensive if I so desired.
And stickers can be replaced!
yeah my thoughts exactly. Going to use the extra money to install fox coilovers.

Louis

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.enormis.net
Vehicles
21 F150 Crew 3.5 Lariat Sport 502a 6.5bed FX4
Occupation
Biz Owner
Ford Suspension Engineers,

The Ford F-150 "Fx4 package" needs work.
I had a 2014 FX4 Hi model. (VISIBLY, the 2014 fx4 had "Off road" tires and the front end noticeably sat higher (more level) and persons commented on the trucks "stance") see pic

Ford F-150 Fx4 vs 4x4? 2014  F150  Fx4 STOCK Height and Tires Resized 300x

Now, my $70k 2021 Lariat 502Hi. has the "FX4 package."
Compare my fx4 to any other 2021 F-150 LOOK at IT! Does it "look" any different? HELL NO. (Fx4 stickers actually look weird on this "normal" looking truck)
Ford F-150 Fx4 vs 4x4? 2021 F150 fx4  Lariat 502 Max tow 20220404_145228  resized 300x

Tires:
I got the same Hankook tires any other NON FX4 truck would get. (Ford PLEASE Upgrade the tires) These tires have a pathetic 8.5" Tread Width and boring looks. I know Ford wanted rolling Resistance blah blah blah. But this is NOT the TIRE for an FX4 "off road" package.

Suspension/Level:
I got the same "Rake" as all the others. the truck sits 3+ Inches LOWER in the front!!! (Ford please LIFT THE FRONT END, I look like grandpa)

Shocks: No comment

Skid Plates: Thanks

Rock/Crawl: Thanks

Locking REAR Diff: Thanks

Hill descent: Thanks

Chevy Advertises a "trail Boss" Truck, they brag about a 2" Level, Off Road Tires, Rancho Shocks.
I don't want a 5.5ft Bed Tremor, I don't want a Raptor. I just want something a lil more than the "normal" F-150.
Ford could do the same bad@ss media ad as Chevy and say,
"The Ford FX4 package is available on all F-150 models, see your dealer for details"

Ford, my comments ring true with many other customers. WAKE UP! please. :)

Standard Tires installed on 2021 FX4 packaged trucks.
Ford F-150 Fx4 vs 4x4? Pathetic Hankook Tire on 2021 FX4  truck hk_dynapro_at2 RESIZED

Last edited:

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
Ford Suspension Engineers,

The Ford F-150 "Fx4 package" needs work.
I had a 2014 FX4 Hi model. (VISIBLY, the 2014 fx4 had "Off road" tires and the front end noticeably sat higher (more level) and persons commented on the trucks "stance") see pic

2014  F150  Fx4 STOCK Height and Tires Resized 300x.jpg

Now, my $70k 2021 Lariat 502Hi. has the "FX4 package."
Compare my fx4 to any other 2021 F-150 LOOK at IT! Does it "look" any different? HELL NO. (Fx4 stickers actually look weird on this "normal" looking truck)
2021 F150 fx4  Lariat 502 Max tow 20220404_145228  resized 300x.jpg

Tires:
I got the same Hankook tires any other NON FX4 truck would get. (Ford PLEASE Upgrade the tires) These tires have a pathetic 8.5" Tread Width and boring looks. I know Ford wanted rolling Resistance blah blah blah. But this is NOT the TIRE for an FX4 "off road" package.

Suspension/Level:
I got the same "Rake" as all the others. the truck sits 3+ Inches LOWER in the front!!! (Ford please LIFT THE FRONT END, I look like grandpa)

Shocks: No comment

Skid Plates: Thanks

Rock/Crawl: Thanks

Locking REAR Diff: Thanks

Hill descent: Thanks

Chevy Advertises a "trail Boss" Truck, they brag about a 2" Level, Off Road Tires, Rancho Shocks.
I don't want a 5.5ft Bed Tremor, I don't want a Raptor. I just want something a lil more than the "normal" F-150.
Ford could do the same bad@ss media ad as Chevy and say,
"The Ford FX4 package is available on all F-150 models, see your dealer for details"

Ford, my comments ring true with many other customers. WAKE UP! please. :)

Pathetic Tires installed on 2021 FX4 packaged trucks. (IMO)
Pathetic Hankook Tire on 2021 FX4  truck hk_dynapro_at2 RESIZED.jpg
I agree that if you sprung for the FX4 it should be more 'off-road' worthy than they currently ship. There's little difference to my Sport 4x4! I'm more interested with fuel economy so I'm ok with the lower front end, but again, if I'd gotten the FX4 I'd have wanted better ground clearance.
I've got the Hankooks and actually like them. But I don't use the truck off road hardly. I only wanted 4x4 for inclement weather and resale value. The Hankook's do better in wet weather than the Michelin XLT's that came on my 2018 STX. They are equaly smooth riding, long lasting, and quiet but the Michelin's are extremely dangerous in the wet. No grip at ALL!
Sponsored