Sponsored

FX4 vs Sport 4x4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking
Hi all

i test drove yesterday xlt 4x4 with 302a and am totally in love with it. Unfortunately the color I want velocity blue is not availabl in my preferred sport 4x4 trim But it’s available in FX4 At a different dealership. My question is does fx4 just cosmetic or it makes the truck higher and stiffer? is there any difference in ride quality

also, how is the 4x4 system... if I’m driving in 2H are front wheels totally disengaged.

currently I’ve AWD with torque vectoring (both front to back and side to side)... if I’m not mistaken F-150 4x4 is nothing like that.

i’d appreciate your comments

thx.
Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
The FX4 package will give you the following per the build and price tool on Ford.com:

Ford F-150 FX4 vs Sport 4x4 DC5E9568-1A12-412B-837F-DBEDDDB699DC

It a a legitimate, entry level off-road package from Ford that gives you the skid plates, slightly different front shocks, and additional drive modes.

Whereas the “Sport 4x4” is just an appearance package. It is possible to have the Sport appearance package with the 4x4 drivetrain, and add the FX4 package on top of it.

In regards to your question on driving in 2H, yes the front wheels are disengaged and will not be doing anything but steering in that mode.

Hugo

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SC Lariat 3.5 EB FX4 Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Law Enforcement
The sport is an appearance package. The FX4 has "offroad" tuned shocks, drive modes, skid plates, e-locker standard, basic a/t tires, different interior, and rubber floor mats. You can get the e-locker in a non FX4 now but it used to not be that way. The ride will probably be a bit softer on the non FX4 but can tell you I have an FX4 sport and it rides pretty darn good.

The front drive shaft won't be engaged during 2wd. Lariat and above have the 4 Auto option that engages the front shaft but distributes the power to the front only when slip is detected like an AWD.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking
The sport is an appearance package. The FX4 has "offroad" tuned shocks, drive modes, skid plates, e-locker standard, basic a/t tires, different interior, and rubber floor mats. You can get the e-locker in a non FX4 now but it used to not be that way. The ride will probably be a bit softer on the non FX4 but can tell you I have an FX4 sport and it rides pretty darn good.

The front drive shaft won't be engaged during 2wd. Lariat and above have the 4 Auto option that engages the front shaft but distributes the power to the front only when slip is detected like an AWD.
does fx4 add height vs. 4x4 or both have sameride height

Hugo

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SC Lariat 3.5 EB FX4 Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Law Enforcement
does fx4 add height vs. 4x4 or both have sameride height
I believe it's the same height. 2wd trucks are about 1 1/2 inches lower. The yet to be released Tremor will have Tremor shocks and a leveling kit which will add about 2" to the front end of them over the 4x4/FX4.

Ford F-150 FX4 vs Sport 4x4 Screenshot_20210228-210519_Word
Sponsored