CTMO

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
ebay listing says its OEM. when did Ford make an OEM gloss black grill that wasnt the BAP grill?
Methinks somebody is repainting OEM grilles and reselling?

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree. If they are OEM grilles, that's not a bad price if that's the look you wanted.
I've been tempted to go the gloss paint route on mine, but I like how it matches the wheels and fender badges now in matte. Unfortunately the matte grille itself does look cheap...

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
I've been tempted to go the gloss paint route on mine, but I like how it matches the wheels and fender badges now in matte. Unfortunately the matte grille itself does look cheap...
I feel exactly the same. I think a gloss grille would look way better than the dark gray one, but then my OCD would make me get gloss black fender badges and wheels. Maybe some combination of gloss black and the OEM dark gray would improve the look of the grille and would also match the fender emblems and wheels. That would be the least expensive route for sure.

Sponsored

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Either one of these options might look good.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l16002.jpg
First off, I love the effort you put into this. 🤣

I think the first option would look best, but maybe with a color-matched stripe on the skinny middle bar similar to the picture @HammaMan posted? My truck is silver, so a color-match would still maintain a nice monochrome look on the grille but might be less desirable on a blue truck? @9663mu has done something similar to his truck, and it looks good.

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

I think the first option would look best, but maybe with a color-matched stripe on the skinny middle bar similar to the picture @HammaMan posted? My truck is silver, so a color-match would still maintain a nice monochrome look on the grille but might be less desirable on a blue truck? @9663mu has done something similar to his truck, and it looks good.
Thanks. I was bored and when I get into something I like to go all in. If I was better at photoshop I would never get anything done. As for the color matching center bar, I did that but the blue wasn't doing it for me. I think now I might try to do what I posted with my grille since I think it might be a good look. Just need to decide which variation. If anyone is good with photoshop and want to give me an idea as to what each version would look like, go for it. (y)

crazywayne311

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 SCrew 157" Agate Black Lariat 502A
Occupation
CTMO
yeah after going back through the listing it appears its a chinesium grill thats painted gloss black.

Wonder how it compares to stock in all honesty. Part of me wants to get mine just done in vinyl but i have no idea how long that'll hold up.
Then again, it scares me also to have a painted front grill. how long before rocks destroy it. how good is the paint. Seems my OCD has a lot of damn questions. haha

As someone else mentioned, the fender vents would be next. apparently you get them cheaper than OEM from etsy, ebay...so i mean, yeah you'd probably have/want to change those out too.

it goes back to the SEMA F150 that had a polished black grill. Wish Ford would offer that like they do the BAP badges

Sponsored

9663mu

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iconic F150

I agree brother. Silver would look classiest in my opinion. Here is a recent pic.

Ford F-150 For F$&#$ sakes 661346E3-4A5E-42BB-92DF-E3A61358704D

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
yeah after going back through the listing it appears its a chinesium grill thats painted gloss black.
No, it's a lariat take-off they painted. I'm OCD, I'd give it a 98% rating. I think I'm going to wet sand a couple areas and buff it back to high gloss and wrap the larger areas with PPF while painting the center bar and then PPF'n it too. There are some very minor inclusions in it that you really have to look for. I've found a really nice metallic flake spray paint I'm using to paint my factory logo. I can't believe how far spray paint has come.

99% of people would be completely happy with it. I don't think it has a clearcoat, won't know until I sand it. PPF would fix that.

Keep in mind, the upper and lower large areas, as well as the 2 center bars, those all snap out of the grille itself making custom work on it as easy as it gets.

Some company out there is taking lariats and turning them into custom trucks so you can find their grilles and seat leather as well as a couple other parts in plentiful supply.

Last edited:

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Wonder how it compares to stock in all honesty. Part of me wants to get mine just done in vinyl but i have no idea how long that'll hold up.
Then again, it scares me also to have a painted front grill. how long before rocks destroy it. how good is the paint. Seems my OCD has a lot of damn questions. haha

As someone else mentioned, the fender vents would be next. apparently you get them cheaper than OEM from etsy, ebay...so i mean, yeah you'd probably have/want to change those out too.

it goes back to the SEMA F150 that had a polished black grill. Wish Ford would offer that like they do the BAP badges
How a gloss black grille would hold up to bugs and stone chips is one of my concerns as well. Have to probably PPF it, at least the large surfaces. Not sure if this is the grille you were talking about but I have always wondered if Ford would offer the lower bumper grille as a Ford Performance part. That would look good with a BAP/Tremor grille. Now if us standard hood guys could get the BAP/Tremor grille to work with our hoods that would give me another option. Unfortunately as long as the hood release notch is at the top of those grilles, I will have to keep figuring out what to do with the Lariat Sport grille.

Ford F-150 For F$&#$ sakes 2022-Ford-F-150-Street-Performance-Concept-SEMA-2021-Live-Photos-Exterior-001-front-end-Black-

crazywayne311

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 SCrew 157" Agate Black Lariat 502A
Occupation
CTMO
No, it's a lariat take-off they painted. I'm OCD, I'd give it a 98% rating. I think I'm going to wet sand a couple areas and buff it back to high gloss and wrap the larger areas with PPF while painting the center bar and then PPF'n it too. There are some very minor inclusions in it that you really have to look for.

99% of people would be completely happy with it. I don't think it has a clearcoat, won't know until I sand it. PPF would fix that.

Keep in mind, the upper and lower large areas, as well as the 2 center bars, those all snap out of the grille itself making custom work on it as easy as it gets.
thanks for clearing that up. so its an OEM grill essentially modified. If it has clear, that would be awesome. not having it scares me haha.
but let me get this straight...the painted parts on that ebay grill (our lariat grills) pop off?! so if i felt froggy i could just pop it off myself and paint it?!

How a gloss black grille would hold up to bugs and stone chips is one of my concerns as well. Have to probably PPF it, at least the large surfaces. Not sure if this is the grille you were talking about but I have always wondered if Ford would offer the lower bumper grille as a Ford Performance part. That would look good with a BAP/Tremor grille. Now if us standard hood guys could get the BAP/Tremor grille to work with our hoods that would give me another option. Unfortunately as long as the hood release notch is at the top of those grilles, I will have to keep figuring out what to do with the Lariat Sport grille.
I was referring to this grill. It was another SEMA F150 i believe ford did. Far as i know though, its just vinyl wrapped by ford. id like to think that its out there somewhere. haha

Ford F-150 For F$&#$ sakes Truck Grill
Sponsored