Sponsored

Failed 2022 F150 XLT Powerboost Hybrid Battery Failure....

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I think my truck is cursed. It's too new to have these issues. When I first gotten it not only did the battery have issues it also needed a new O2 sensor. Now it seems history is repeating itself. Was driving around and boom check engine light came on. Guess what the issue is? O2 sensor failed again! What are the odds. I just can't win with this truck!
There were 1 or 2 issues with failed cats. If these are the emissions O2s, your cat Y pipe needs replaced. The last one took a minute....

When the cats go bad it cooks the emission o2 sensors. If such is the case of bad cats, MIL eliminators from the days of removing cats may still be a thing to keep your truck up and running while they wait on parts. Don't get sucked into the waiting on parts months at dealer routine.
Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
There were 1 or 2 issues with failed cats. If these are the emissions O2s, your cat Y pipe needs replaced. The last one took a minute....

When the cats go bad it cooks the emission o2 sensors. If such is the case of bad cats, MIL eliminators from the days of removing cats may still be a thing to keep your truck up and running while they wait on parts. Don't get sucked into the waiting on parts months at dealer routine.
Then he can start running the good stuff! High octane leaded Avgas!!

22MYPowerboostXLT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20222 Ford F-150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
Electrician
How could cats go bad with 17k miles? I just want my truck to be fixed and reliable. This whole thing isn't something one would expect when buying a new vehicle. Good grief Charlie Brown!

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How could cats go bad with 17k miles? I just want my truck to be fixed and reliable. This whole thing isn't something one would expect when buying a new vehicle. Good grief Charlie Brown!
Factory defect

22MYPowerboostXLT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
This "Factory" you are speaking of must be in a third world country with no quality controls in place. Sorry but I'm not having to much faith in the product after this recent string of events.

Last edited:

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This "Factory" you are speaking of must be in a third world country with no quality controls in place. Sorry but I'm not having to much faith in the product after this recent string of events.
There's been 2 or 3 cat issues I've seen. Very rare issue, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that whoever made the cats had a bad batch.

22MYPowerboostXLT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
I so want to give his truck a chance, however it isn't looking good. Don't want to sound like a Debbie downer but, less than 10 months of owning it and this is the second time this is happening. This with the addition of the battery issues. Egad!

I need to get it in for service. I'd like them to take care of the root cause and not just replace parts till it fails again. Thank you for your input.

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Toyota Tundras are consuming main bearings at less than 3000 miles and trashing the motor. Dealerships are being instructed to rebuild the motor rather than replacing with a crate motor.

I wouldn't be happy with bad cats on a new truck regardless of the manufacturer. But it's rare.

The 12V battery?

Definitely a issue with a fair percentage of the Gen14 trucks. Fellas with aftermarket replacement batteries claim the issues are behind them.

I hope your dealership addresses the real issue and puts it behind you.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Toyota Tundras are consuming main bearings at less than 3000 miles and trashing the motor. Dealerships are being instructed to rebuild the motor rather than replacing with a crate motor.

I wouldn't be happy with bad cats on a new truck regardless of the manufacturer. But it's rare.

The 12V battery?

Definitely a issue with a fair percentage of the Gen14 trucks. Fellas with aftermarket replacement batteries claim the issues are behind them.

I hope your dealership addresses the real issue and puts it behind you.
As to the failure rate Ford is seeing... You're correct, they'll never reveal it... But as I mentioned they got embarrassed with the NiMH batteries in the Escape Hybrids and that did leak out since they had a bunch of ready batteries sitting on the shelf for their anticipated failure rate... As to bad cats, go look into the fuel air ratio... if that's off, usually rich, it'll kill a cat in weeks... I'm one of those that dumped the Ford 12VDC battery and got a NAPA drop in replacement 2 years ago. Not a peep out of the system since.

Kshort62

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 limited Powerboost,
Occupation
Process Control Technician
I think my truck is cursed. It's too new to have these issues. When I first gotten it not only did the battery have issues it also needed a new O2 sensor. Now it seems history is repeating itself. Was driving around and boom check engine light came on. Guess what the issue is? O2 sensor failed again! What are the odds. I just can't win with this truck!
I feel your pain … my 22 Limited PB has a new CAT converter , new 12v Battery, getting a new BSIG and Tensioner bracket … I am averaging a WO every 1k miles

Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
I guess I should begin to get nervous. I don't have a battery tender, nor a device to measure the resting state of the 12v battery. The truck will be 2 years old in 2 weeks.
IMG_20220216_135336111a_HDR.jpg
If you've not had problems by now, I suspect you won't in the future.

We've had our 2021 PB for 2.5 years and have never had a dead battery. Or, any battery related issues, warnings, or messages.

22MYPowerboostXLT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Well the dealer just called. Stated my cat's are ok? So riddle me this Batman. The one from the factory sensor one was defective? They replaced it with said failed sensor this go around. So now after they are done making repairs to my truck this go around, this would be the 3rd O2 sensor and third 12V battery! Third times a charm. In all the years of owning other models vehicles, I have never experienced anything like this before. Almost makes me regret coming over to the Ford family? Well. Let's see how long this O2 sensor lasts. If the cats are bad this one will go out as quick as the the last. Sorry if I sound like a rambling idiot. I just don't get why it doesn't just work after a repair! To me in my eyes they have not found the root cause. Put whatever. We will see what happens next.
Sponsored