Powerboost Battery

DanielG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
Is there a way to tea the hybrid battery on the Powerboost? I see on here where people are getting longer battery run times than I am. Some of them are siting at an idle and say the ICE will only turn on a couple of times in an hour. Also, my gas mileage average is still under 20 and I thought I should get better than that. I was just wondering if there was a way to see if the battery was performing at 100% or if there is a problem.
Sponsored

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
Did you mean "test" the battery?

I think some are using the OBS2 monitor with an app to monitor the battery charge state.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I have notice the same thing with mine. Getting about 19.5 mostly city which is pretty respectable for a full size truck. It gets at best 1/3 mile holding 40-45 mph on electric and running in eco mode does seem to help and I can get a whopping 1/2 mile out of it before the ICE kicks back in. When idling the ICE will fire up every 5-7 minutes, but all this has been with the A/C on because well Houston... You pretty much have to run the AC from March to late November, and sometimes in December and January too... So having that on definitely impacts the electric range.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Just a test dashboard I have on an Android phone as I dig into replacing my Ngauge in my truck.
The gauge furthest to the right is SOC, state of charge for the Hybrid Battery.

When active in the truck it's VERY informative and you eventually discover the management strategy that Ford has regarding. I'm convinced that if Ford would simply make available on the instrument cluster some equivalent, the driver would be armed with the kind of feedback necessary to gain additional fuel economy.

Ford F-150 Powerboost Battery Screenshot_20220913-205453

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have notice the same thing with mine. Getting about 19.5 mostly city which is pretty respectable for a full size truck. It gets at best 1/3 mile holding 40-45 mph on electric and running in eco mode does seem to help and I can get a whopping 1/2 mile out of it before the ICE kicks back in. When idling the ICE will fire up every 5-7 minutes, but all this has been with the A/C on because well Houston... You pretty much have to run the AC from March to late November, and sometimes in December and January too... So having that on definitely impacts the electric range.
I believe you should be getting more than 7 minutes between ICE charging events when you are parked, even with the AC on. In fact, that's evidence to me that there just might be a reason that your mileage isn't what I would expect.

Both my first Powerboost and the one I currently have are very similar in regards. Sitting parked they would average 3, and sometimes 4 ICE charging events per hour. Each lasting about 60 seconds. (Eco idle 1300-1500 rpms)

I use the truck as my office often. It's one of the most amazing attributes of the truck. Comfortable, quiet, and sips fuel per hour as an office.

Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
How long are your trips? Are they relatively short like 1-2 miles or less? I get on average 18-19mpg, but I also drive less than 1-2 miles most the time. Once I go any distance my mileage goes up and it appears to just be getting better.

LIke @Snakebitten suggested you can use an android dive and an OBDII BT adapter to get some extra information. I plan on getting an old tablet and setting up a dashboard to monitor this stuff. Mainly just for curiosity and S&Gs.

I will say that your idle time seems off. Mine in the middle of FL summer runs about 1 min 3-4 times an hour to recharge. This is with the AC set at 72F.

OP
OP
DanielG

DanielG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
what OBD device do you use ? I have an Apple phone and tablet so it would have to work with that.
Also, I do live in Central Florida so it’s HOT and most trips are local and short.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I believe you should be getting more than 7 minutes between ICE charging events when you are parked, even with the AC on. In fact, that's evidence to me that there just might be a reason that your mileage isn't what I would expect.

Both my first Powerboost and the one I currently have are very similar in regards. Sitting parked they would average 3, and sometimes 4 ICE charging events per hour. Each lasting about 60 seconds. (Eco idle 1300-1500 rpms)

I use the truck as my office often. It's one of the most amazing attributes of the truck. Comfortable, quiet, and sips fuel per hour as an office.
I have ECO idle enabled and it will fire up the ICE and run at 1400 for about 2 minutes then shut down for about 7 give or take then start the ICE again. The truck was built 1/12/22 but sat in chip hold for 8 months. No telling what it was on hold for or if that length of time cause any issues with the lithium battery. I did just recently up the battery set charge limit to 90% and have to see if that makes any difference with it or not.

How long are your trips? Are they relatively short like 1-2 miles or less? I get on average 18-19mpg, but I also drive less than 1-2 miles most the time. Once I go any distance my mileage goes up and it appears to just be getting better.

LIke @Snakebitten suggested you can use an android dive and an OBDII BT adapter to get some extra information. I plan on getting an old tablet and setting up a dashboard to monitor this stuff. Mainly just for curiosity and S&Gs.

I will say that your idle time seems off. Mine in the middle of FL summer runs about 1 min 3-4 times an hour to recharge. This is with the AC set at 72F.
My average trips are about 20 miles to/from work. To work is all surface streets with a top speed of 45-50 mph. Returning home I'm up on the freeway for about 10-12 miles.

what OBD device do you use ? I have an Apple phone and tablet so it would have to work with that.
Also, I do live in Central Florida so it’s HOT and most trips are local and short.

I have an iPhone and the Vgate iCar Pro OBDII scanner works beautifully with the Car Scanner app. Connects right up and the app is about as good a diagnostic and real time data device one could hope for on a mobile device. I used to use the Torque app on Android and loved it, Car Scanner is the closest to that for iOS I have found.

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There are many OBD adapters to choose from, but you kinda get what you pay for, to be honest. I have a ridiculous assortment because I have multiple vehicles to mess with, but a safe bet is the

Ford F-150 Powerboost Battery Screenshot_20220919_082510

I am NOT a good source for advice regarding doing these things with an iOS device though. But there are fellas that can help.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have ECO idle enabled and it will fire up the ICE and run at 1400 for about 2 minutes then shut down for about 7 give or take then start the ICE again. The truck was built 1/12/22 but sat in chip hold for 8 months. No telling what it was on hold for or if that length of time cause any issues with the lithium battery. I did just recently up the battery set charge limit to 90% and have to see if that makes any difference with it or not.

My average trips are about 20 miles to/from work. To work is all surface streets with a top speed of 45-50 mph. Returning home I'm up on the freeway for about 10-12 miles.
I could be mistaken but that Forscan edit for 90% charging is regarding the 12V system?

If your ICE is running 2 minutes at eco-idle to charge the Hybrid battery, THAT is definitely a hint to me that something is operating outside the parameters that both of my Powerboosts do.

I have a similar commute to what you described as yours. 23.5 miles each way. Combination of rural backroads and then a good stretch of 4 lane highway with multiple speed limits ranging from 45-55mph. (I drive about 5mph over typically) Very much a mix with lots of traffic stops. This 2022 KingRanch consistently gets 22-24mpg on this route and I can assure you I have no desire to hypermile. The ~600 Ftlbs of Torque is too intoxicating. :)

I wonder what might be a reason for a charge rate to be slower than what was intended and designed?

Sponsored

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
I'm convinced that if Ford would simply make available on the instrument cluster some equivalent
Add that to the list of things I wish Ford would make available to us... I want ALL of the gauges/information.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I could be mistaken but that Forscan edit for 90% charging is regarding the 12V system?

If your ICE is running 2 minutes at eco-idle to charge the Hybrid battery, THAT is definitely a hint to me that something is operating outside the parameters that both of my Powerboosts do.

I have a similar commute to what you described as yours. 23.5 miles each way. Combination of rural backroads and then a good stretch of 4 lane highway with multiple speed limits ranging from 45-55mph. (I drive about 5mph over typically) Very much a mix with lots of traffic stops. This 2022 KingRanch consistently gets 22-24mpg on this route and I can assure you I have no desire to hypermile. The ~600 Ftlbs of Torque is too intoxicating. :)

I wonder what might be a reason for a charge rate to be slower than what was intended and designed?
I have been driving fairly conservatively with it since it only has 600 miles on it and want to wait till it's broken in before I start driving it harder.

I haven't tried looking with the Car Scanner app to see if it will show the lithium battery voltage level. I can mess with it today to see if it will. If so I can monitor it to see how quickly the voltage drop is. As for the power draw, I pretty much always have the A/C on set to LOW but almost neve on max AC, Carplay, with my phone connected, a key hot dash cam and that's usually it.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wait!
600 miles?

Ok, I am going to shut up about what you should be experiencing. Lol

By far the worst tank in either of the trucks I have had was the first. And the second, for that matter.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Yeah, I don't drive all that much... My 20 Ranger only had 17.8K on it when I traded it in three weeks ago. I have topped the PB off a couple times with 93 octane but that's only been when it used a 1/4 tank.

I figured the low miles might be a factor to it's behavior but was also a little concerned since it sat for so long and is acting so much different than other PB are. @DanielG how many miles are on your PB?

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I stopped to drop off laundry on my way to the office, so my 23.5 mile commute was broken into 2 legs. As a result, the second leg started with a warm motor.

Anyone could meet or exceed EPA with this truck if they drove in the conditions of my daily commute and always started with hot cats and warm oil. And you don't have to use the slow lane or EVER hold anyone up. In fact, quite the opposite! Bust a move if it presents itself. 😎

Truck is amazing

Ford F-150 Powerboost Battery 20220919_101831
Sponsored