Clunking Noise in Rear End

MrEmGallegos

First Name
Emery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Saw this posted in another forum and wanted to share. Looks like there's an official TSB now which is referenced in the linked video. Anyone able to download it and share the actual document? TSB 21-2253 he says.

Does anyone have a list of the part numbers listed in the video? The video is too grainy to screenshot.
After taking my truck in and getting the u bolts tightened a couple weeks ago, the issue has returned.
Sponsored

Garyraw

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
VP of Service
Has anyone else on here seen this on your brand new 2021 F150?

Ford F-150 Clunking Noise in Rear End rear diff2

Ford F-150 Clunking Noise in Rear End Rear diff

Tyler1986

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 FX4 302a 3.5L Oxford White
Following this thread. I started noticing the exact sounds mentioned in this post a week ago. My truck has 4200km on it. I only notice it when going up or down my driveway and an angle. It’s super frustrating and almost embarrassing when there are people around. Thanks to this thread I will be checking things out when I get home from work.

DaftJak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX 4X4
Saw this posted in another forum and wanted to share. Looks like there's an official TSB now which is referenced in the linked video. Anyone able to download it and share the actual document? TSB 21-2253 he says.

This TSB fixed the noise for me! Backordered parts came in couple weeks ago but just got the work done today, no more clunking or popping!

Sponsored

zamco17

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 XLT
My 2021 went in Today for the 3rd time for this problem, first two times No luck. This time will be the first time that it has been for the TSB however. Parts took a month to come in. Will find out tomorrow if the tsb is going to be the solution.

zamco17

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 XLT
My 2021 went in Today for the 3rd time for this problem, first two times No luck. This time will be the first time that it has been for the TSB however. Parts took a month to come in. Will find out tomorrow if the tsb is going to be the solution.
‘The TSB worked-the clunk is gone!! Finally!

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
Good to hear! I’ve been waiting on parts for 4 weeks now.
Just a FYI on this issue. Mine clunking started at 1200 miles and I was unable to get it to the shop until 2800 miles. I did notice it progressively getting worse but it was the earliest I could get it seen. They called me on Friday, the day it was in the shop and let me know they had to order parts. I asked if I could pick it up and have it while they waited for the parts and they said no. There was a component failure related to the TSB and it was not safe to drive. So I'm posting this as warning not to let this go unchecked. Not worth getting into a accident. Have it checked out ASAP. I'm betting this will turn into a full blown recall at some point.

Sponsored

baggs32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 502A Antimatter Blue
Just a FYI on this issue. Mine clunking started at 1200 miles and I was unable to get it to the shop until 2800 miles. I did notice it progressively getting worse but it was the earliest I could get it seen. They called me on Friday, the day it was in the shop and let me know they had to order parts. I asked if I could pick it up and have it while they waited for the parts and they said no. There was a component failure related to the TSB and it was not safe to drive. So I'm posting this as warning not to let this go unchecked. Not worth getting into a accident. Have it checked out ASAP. I'm betting this will turn into a full blown recall at some point.
That sounds fishy to me. If you do a couple of quick searches you will see very clearly that this noise has been happening in F150 generations for nearly a decade. The parts in the TSB are replacement bolts and nuts which are necessary because once they remove them to apply the grease, they can't reuse them due to the type of bolt and nuts used. The explanation given on another forum was that you can tighten the nuts to the bolts all you want but once you back the nuts out the bolts have to be discarded and replaced. Something to do with how they are threaded.

If they are telling you something is broken you might want to get more info about exactly what that was. This has never been a safety concern based on everything I've read, and it seems they are either lying to you or they found something unrelated that was broken. Maybe they already loosened the U Bolt nuts and realized they can't tighten them back up for you.

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
That sounds fishy to me. If you do a couple of quick searches you will see very clearly that this noise has been happening in F150 generations for nearly a decade. The parts in the TSB are replacement bolts and nuts which are necessary because once they remove them to apply the grease, they can't reuse them due to the type of bolt and nuts used. The explanation given on another forum was that you can tighten the nuts to the bolts all you want but once you back the nuts out the bolts have to be discarded and replaced. Something to do with how they are threaded.

If they are telling you something is broken you might want to get more info about exactly what that was. This has never been a safety concern based on everything I've read, and it seems they are either lying to you or they found something unrelated that was broken. Maybe they already loosened the U Bolt nuts and realized they can't tighten them back up for you.
@baggs32 Agreed, something does not pass the smell test here. I will be picking up the truck today or tomorrow and will press them for more information. Will report back.

Chrislorl

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
General Mgr Upfitter products
Had the same in mine. It sounded like the rear but we traced it to the driver's side torsion support bar. I found it by rocking the truck and having a buddy climb under. After a few min's we tracked it to this. You could actually move it by hand. When I took it in the tech told me he had seen a bunch that were not torqued correctly. It is fixed. It was the bolt that the yellow arrow is pointing to.
Ford F-150 Clunking Noise in Rear End 8_fr_stab_oa_a

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
My truck goes in Monday to have the tsb completed. I was told it's not the grease issue from previous years.

We will see on Monday.
I’m 3 months in and still waiting on my farm parts. Good luck on Monday!
Sponsored