Sponsored

Breaking in?

remtiwk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Is the no towing thing during the first 1000 miles really critical?
Sponsored

ddfarmer

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
Is the no towing thing during the first 1000 miles really critical?
Others may think differently, but I think it does. Potentially it puts extra stress on the engine and systems and defeats the guidelines (heavy breaking, etc.) for the first 1,000 miles. In addition, I'd hate to have them use that as an excuse if a warranty issue came up. Lastly, it's only a 1,000 miles. Why risk it? You just paid a chunk of $$$ for a new truck. That's only two or three weeks of driving. Go enjoy the "new truck smell" for the 1,000 miles then tow to your hearts content!

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
)
I just hop in and drive like normal which is sanely. It's not a race car so what's the sense of matting it or diving deep into corners.
Straight from the 2021 Ford F-150 online owner’s manual:

ADF59091-8182-44BA-AC01-1952A8DB8A87.jpeg

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...d=7320&vFilteringEnabled=False&userMarket=USA

1,000 mile/1,600 kilometer break-in prior where heavy towing and aggressive acceleration/braking/shifting is discouraged.
Thanks Kyle. I have been looking for this. It is not in the PDF version.

remtiwk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Others may think differently, but I think it does. Potentially it puts extra stress on the engine and systems and defeats the guidelines (heavy breaking, etc.) for the first 1,000 miles. In addition, I'd hate to have them use that as an excuse if a warranty issue came up. Lastly, it's only a 1,000 miles. Why risk it? You just paid a chunk of $$$ for a new truck. That's only two or three weeks of driving. Go enjoy the "new truck smell" for the 1,000 miles then tow to your hearts content!
Thanks. I understand. But I work at home and so it's difficult for me to rack up 1000 miles. So unless I do a road trip or two.. I'll be towing my boat to the lake probably before 1000 miles is on the truck. ?

grosbiz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback, 2015 Nissan Rogue
Thanks. I understand. But I work at home and so it's difficult for me to rack up 1000 miles. So unless I do a road trip or two.. I'll be towing my boat to the lake probably before 1000 miles is on the truck. ?
I am in the same situation as you. Maybe even worst since I don't even have my truck yet and will need to rack up some miles quick before towing my travel trailer.

Reactions: 780

Sponsored

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
Same here, I think I put 2000 miles on my car the entire last year. I’m going to have to drive around for my conference calls for the next couple of months.

ddfarmer

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
Same here, I think I put 2000 miles on my car the entire last year. I’m going to have to drive around for my conference calls for the next couple of months.
I work close to home. But I must admit, it makes a great mobile office for conference calls. The quality of the calls and sound is very good. I've been impressed.

RMaas

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Firefighter
Any thoughts on installing a catch can before the 1000K mark? I had one on my last 5.0 which will still work with this one – I was thinking about tossing it on, but don't know if I should just wait the 1000 miles.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
I am in the same situation as you. Maybe even worst since I don't even have my truck yet and will need to rack up some miles quick before towing my travel trailer.
I'm in the same boat as well now... Gotta tow a 4,500 lbs travel trailer.....

Sponsored

Roscopcoletrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT...on order
May get the truck before the weekend. Have trip booked this weekend. It's only an hour away, 75km (45 miles). I do have the option of a less desirable tow rig but means taking a second vehicle for wife and boy.

Hmm

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I'm in the same boat as you. Only I have to pick up the 2022 Lariat from Granger in Iowa and drive to Virginia to get it home. That is about 1100 miles and a good chunk of what I have been driving yearly lately.

I looked at a delivery service but that was about $1200. I think I will break it into a 3 day trip. I wanted to keep the speed under 60 mph until I get it home. I'll also probably get an oil and filter change when I get home and then again at 5000 miles or about 9 months later. It will probably be the time as I doubt I will drive those miles in my current life set up.

Ryan091

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 f150. 2022 f150 on order
Occupation
Tool and mold
I'm in the same boat as you. Only I have to pick up the 2022 Lariat from Granger in Iowa and drive to Virginia to get it home. That is about 1100 miles and a good chunk of what I have been driving yearly lately.

I looked at a delivery service but that was about $1200. I think I will break it into a 3 day trip. I wanted to keep the speed under 60 mph until I get it home. I'll also probably get an oil and filter change when I get home and then again at 5000 miles or about 9 months later. It will probably be the time as I doubt I will drive those miles in my current life set up.
It’s a new truck drive the fucking thing. No need for a oil change and keeping under 60 lmao.

capetownkg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150, Lariat, PowerBoost, SuperCrew, 6.5’
Yeah this will be my first new vehicle so this whole break in thing is new to me. Not to mention I was hoping to tow my boat ASAP. I can get 500 miles on it before the weekend towing and then probably will just tow regardless of the miles. If this truck cant operate correctly towing a 2800lbs boat and trailer setup then i dunno
Sponsored