Break in oil

jridout325

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
Don’t mean to beat a dead horse here but I have a 22’ 5.0 with 1500 miles on it and the oil is halfway on the dip stick hash marks. So I’m roughly a quart low. I’m just curious as to what oil comes in these from the factory? Is it a special “break in” oil? Or is it just plain old motorcraft 5w-30? I was wanting to go to 3-4k miles before I do my first oil change but I don’t think the oil will get that far. Depending on what kind of oil comes in these things from the factory I could add some but I don’t want to mix oils especially in a brand new motor. I’d just like to see if anyone knows what oil comes in these things or I’ll just be forced to change it
Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
From what I have heard it’s just plain old 5w30, (maybe not even motorcraft) if you don’t want to change it right away I would just top it up with whatever you have kicking around that meets the Ford spec

for what it’s worth I changed mine around 1500 miles with the regular semi-synthetic motorcraft, no regrets here (used FordPass points)

OP
OP

jridout325

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
I'm not sure about now but I know in the past I've heard that there is usually a special break in oil that comes in new engines and it allows the engine to "wear in" properly. That is my only worry about changing it too soon. But as of now my plan is to go as far as I can until the dipstick is on the add mark then change it. Really disappointing that this is even a problem. I have a chevy work van with 250k miles on it that doesn't use a drop

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
New engines typically use oil.

add oil specified in your owners manual now. Don’t worry about break in oils for this. not even getting into a debate whether or not they use break in oil.

ps I did my first change at 600 miles and will follow the olm going forward

Last edited:

Ford4Ever

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Taurus SEL AWD, 21 F150 Lariat 502a
From what I have heard it’s just plain old 5w30, (maybe not even motorcraft) if you don’t want to change it right away I would just top it up with whatever you have kicking around that meets the Ford spec

for what it’s worth I changed mine around 1500 miles with the regular semi-synthetic motorcraft, no regrets here (used FordPass points)
I think you are good
Ford F-150 Break in oil break in.PNG

Sponsored

OP
OP

jridout325

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
New engines typically use oil.

add oil specified in your owners manual now. Don’t worry about break in oils for this. not even getting into a debate whether or not they use break in oil
Wasn't wanting a debate. Just asking the question

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
break-in oils were back in the old days, these new engines have tighter tolerances and take several thousand miles to fully break-in. I try to change my oil 1000-2000 miles on a new engine.

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
Go get an oil change. I like doing that first oil change early with new (or recently rebuilt) engines. I am concerned why it was a little low though...assuming it had enough oil in there. Monitor that because some of these 5.0s have oil consumption issues.

OP
OP

jridout325

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
Go get an oil change. I like doing that first oil change early with new (or recently rebuilt) engines. I am concerned why it was a little low though...assuming it had enough oil in there. Monitor that because some of these 5.0s have oil consumption issues.
I was well aware of the 5.0's having oil consumption issues before I even bought the truck. I thought i'd take a chance that it has been fixed by now. It's probably too early to tell for my case but fingers crossed. It for sure wasn't low when I bought it because I checked it at the dealer and it was full

Sponsored

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
I haven't heard a significant number of oil consumption issues with the '21+ 5.0. The same cannot be said for the prior generation though.

OP
OP

jridout325

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
I haven't heard a significant number of oil consumption issues with the '21+ 5.0. The same cannot be said for the prior generation though.
Hoping this is just normal for break in. I guess time will tell

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I ran mine 2500 and had the oil changed
again at 5000.
every 5000 from there on out

Im Kind of rural so all of the cars that reside here get pretty easy miles With very few city like miles.

Ive maintained a 5k interval probably since I was. A kid

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
i never checked my dipstick when i first got my truck lmao. i did change the oil at 2,000 miles though.
Sponsored