Sponsored

boo radley

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1987 F150 1992 F150, 1999 F150, 2004 F150, 2013 F150
Never have I heard of a major engine failure due to breaking it in wrong. Sensible driving will do the trick at 75 or 20mph.
Ive heard of new engines that burn up oil. The owners have to periodically add a quart.

Ive heard of people that get terrible fuel mileage with the same exact engine that other owners get great mpg.
Sponsored

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
I had an engine rebuild five years ago and the shop said to keep it under 50 MPH for the first 500 miles.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
Bought my 93 Chevy K2500 new from a dealer a few hours away. Drove it home varying the speed a bit on the freeway. Still have it and running strong with no oil consumption. Clearly the first drive home did it no harm.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
I had an engine rebuild five years ago and the shop said to keep it under 50 MPH for the first 500 miles.
So the shop gave you an arbitrary number and based on what you were told 5 years ago you assume that a brand new Ford F-150 needs a special treatment when it rolls off dealer?!
Why 50 MPH, why not 55? Is it based on science or an experiment that included at least 100 vehicles which all had the same re-built engine?! I just don't get it....people "hear" something and assume it's science and should be applied to all new vehicles.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
This is what the current manual says:

1639265246867.png

Seems pretty normal and reasonable to me.

So you're buying an expensive vehicle from a mega, veteran manufacturer that you basically don't trust...

Of course it does, unless you drive through a deserted highway for 300 miles. In most highways there is always traffic, slower drivers, trucks, etc, which you need to slow down for and then re-accelerate to your crusing speed.

Agree 100%. It's amazing how people buy these trucks and don't trust the manufacturer. I drove off dealers' lots with several new vehicles in my life time. Granted - theye were not trucks, mostly Honda's and one Hyundai. Never ever did it occur to me to develope any kind of "special break-in theory" other than be gentle on the brakes for the first 200-250 miles (which I still do anyways every time I replace my pads and rotors). Just use common sense, don't tow a heavy trailer off the dealer's lot, don't drag race your new vehicle....drive normally like a reasonable human being and your engine will be just fine.
No.

I am sold 100%

This friggin thing is AMAZING!

These Ford engineers are "Gods" and I'm NOT being sarcastic!

I'm not doing ANYTHING to my new F150 Coyote except driving it with a HUGE smile on my face and changing the oil ahead of schedule.

Oh yeah... and avoiding "Sport Mode"!
HOLY SHIT!

Sponsored

jamill

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat & 2020 GMC Acadia SLT
Occupation
Pipeline Operator
What is suggested for someone in my situation?

I bought the truck in June 2021 and am still only sitting at 2,180 miles on it. I know my information center still says I have 50-something percent of oil life.

I’ve always run Mobil 1 full synthetic in my 8 cylinder engines and always done them religiously at regular 3/5 month or 3k/5k miles (whichever came first) but I know these newer engines usually want the manufacturer break in period, but with as little as I drive mine, what’s the best thing to go by? Date, computer or miles?

Infotroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 2022
What is suggested for someone in my situation?

I bought the truck in June 2021 and am still only sitting at 2,180 miles on it. I know my information center still says I have 50-something percent of oil life.

I’ve always run Mobil 1 full synthetic in my 8 cylinder engines and always done them religiously at regular 3/5 month or 3k/5k miles (whichever came first) but I know these newer engines usually want the manufacturer break in period, but with as little as I drive mine, what’s the best thing to go by? Date, computer or miles?
Lot of opinions here just do every 5-7k

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
DON'T baby it!

It's tested rigorously at the factory.

Drive the piss out of it and expose any deficiencies while it’s still under warranty.

…my $0.02

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
I can't point to any "run in created issues" and have bought 3 new cars over five years. My F150 drove mixed roads for the first 420 miles, then I took off and drove 950 miles in a day. And another 950 miles (or so) back a few days later. A little oil added early on, but none since.

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502a Sport appearance
Occupation
Owner/Driver
Here's my two bits: According to the new 2021 Manual (Page 430 for break in): The Tires need approximatley 300 miles of break in. Avoid heavy use of the brakes and clutch if possible during the first 100 miles in town and for a 1,000 miles on freeways. No snowplowing for first 500 miles. No Towing for first 1,000 miles (see page 371). While I understand everyone's 'religion' on changing oil soon and regularly, a lot of that is based on tradition and history of vehicles 10+ years ago. Fords recommendations for oil changes, and when, are based upon their design and engineering. For timing of that see page 605. Ford doesn't gain anything by having you go longer than needed or shorter than needed. Trust me, they don't want warranty repairs. If it was crucial it was changed in the first 1,000 to 1,500 miles, they would arrange to have you bring it in. It would benefit them with less warranty issues. It wont' hurt to change it sooner, but IMO the best and safest way is to follow their recommendations for break in, oil changes, oil type, and mainteance. It's how they have engineered it.
Thanks ddfarmer. I'm expecting my 2023 Lariat to be delivered soon. Your two bits, is the kind of advice I will be using. Thanks again for your help. Keep it coming 😎

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
If you're looking to make it to your next trade-in... There's not much needed. On the other hand if you keep your trucks for the long haul (I replaced a 92 GMC Suburban high mileage truck with this F-150) then there's a strategy. First is to gentle the engine and drive train to ensure things run well together, rings seated and so on. I'd avoid high power and full throttle runs for, say, 500 to 1,000 miles and vary the engine speed. Then you need to clean out manufacturing dust and such. I'd take it home and change all the oils (yes, I'd change the engine oil when home from the dealer's). I'm a real believer in synthetics and don't use "bleds," use pure synthetic oils. I'm partial to AmsOil. Turns out that Ford set up an industry standard setting cleanliness process in their transmission line, so maybe you don't need to do that one quite so soon. Then, I'd look around for a fine filter for the engine: I use Canton Racing Products engine filter. It's spec'd out for 8 µ particle size (far better than any other on the market - most being around 30-40 µ). Finally, as soon as you can, I'd take it out for an extended run to get everything heated up and hot. Purpose is to drive any moisture that may be in the many electrical plugs around the truck. Ford cannot dry out all plugs on their assembly like and it doesn't take more that one or two drops of water between two pins in a plug to cause some funny things to happen.

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Then, I'd look around for a fine filter for the engine: I use Canton Racing Products engine filter. It's spec'd out for 8 µ particle size (far better than any other on the market - most being around 30-40 µ).
Only thing I'd add to the above is make doggone sure the fine filter supports the flow rates required by the oiling system. Not the PSI, not the filtration rating but the liter/quart/gallon per minute rate of flow the filter will support at 8 micron filtration level.

PS, not gonna go look up the requirement for our trucks. All you OP...

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
Drive it like normal. No one with engine issues, are having them because of their terrible break-in.

Better suggestions for keeping a new truck; like new:
Park far away from other cars
Don’t drive during bad weather
Touch-less car washes; use foam cannon at home
Carry zero passengers

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Only thing I'd add to the above is make doggone sure the fine filter supports the flow rates required by the oiling system. Not the PSI, not the filtration rating but the liter/quart/gallon per minute rate of flow the filter will support at 8 micron filtration level.

PS, not gonna go look up the requirement for our trucks. All you OP...
Canton Racing Products states that their filters pass the engines full flow. I've been using them for years on other vehicles from a big DOHC 4.6L engine to a 2.3 L DOHC. Both long lived.
Sponsored