Sponsored

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
It would be good to know what type of break in strategy people are using - and do's and don'ts that apply.

I will be taking my delivery 1200 miles away. So, the focus will be on driving home. So, thinking about what's best.
Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Vary engine speeds and loads.
On a long trip this could mean driving in lower gears on the hiway for short spells.
also if possible, loading up on deceleration.

I have done this on most of my cars with new engines.
But, they have all been manual trans cars.

My Ranchero, I would run it up to about 70 in second gear real hard, and coast it down. Did this a few times to seat rings.
I live in an area I can safely do this
Also, try to vary speeds to some extent.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Most of my daily drive is on the highway. All I do for about the first 500 miles is keep a light accelerator foot, keep the RPMs below 4K and use the up/down buttons on the shifter to vary my RPMs on the highway.

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you very much, @Bryan Simon ! What does loading up on deceleration mean?

Sponsored

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
On a long trip this could mean driving in lower gears on the hiway for short spells.
Sounds like a sensible approach to me.

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you! Very helpful!

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Someone on another thread mentioned doing an oil change with a higher-end oil after the first thousand miles. That would probably be really good for your new truck after putting 1200 on it right away.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Someone on another thread mentioned doing an oil change with a higher-end oil after the first thousand miles. That would probably be really good for your new truck after putting 1200 on it right away.
I’m gonna hold off til 2500
Then again at 5000
From then on at 5s and 0s on the odometer.

I drive mostly hiway and unencumbered rural.
Also from start up
About 2 miles @ 30-35
10 miles @ 45-55
Then 12 mi @ 70-75+
Then a few miles back down to 30-40

That’s a pretty good range for a break in.
Fully warmed up before it gets wound up.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I’ve read a lot about the issues specifically involving the 5.0 Coyote engine and oil consumption. I have some experience with the later air cooled Porsche engines with the Nikasil lined cylinders. They suffered from similar oil consumption issues. What I saw was that cars that trophy wives and executives putted around Mainstreet had more oil consumption problems, while the ones that went directly to the track tended not to. Take that for what it is, I know that they’ve changed the oil weight recommended this year and that will have some effect too. The biggest question is what issues the cylinder deactivation will create.

Pretty much every factory manual will say to vary RPM during break-in during the first few thousand miles. Interpret that how you will, I’m going to avoid the highway for the first 1500 miles as well as avoid excessive full throttle acceleration. Hopefully the manual will have some information.

These engines are all high performance low tolerance engines and break-in shouldn’t be as important as in the old days but factory recommendations are there for a reason.

For the turbo owners, do you allow for a cool down before you shut off your truck after spirited driving or towing?

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you! Avoiding highways for the 1200 miles drive home is not an option, but I will do my best. For me, the engine of concern is PowerBoost.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer

I have done this on most of my cars with new engines.
But, they have all been manual trans cars.

My Ranchero, I would run it up to about 70 in second gear real hard, and coast it down. Did this a few times to seat rings.
I live in an area I can safely do this
Also, try to vary speeds to some extent.
I always followed this pattern for break-in miles too, especially the engine braking to put pressure on the back side of the rings, but I wonder how we do that on the PowerBoost where the engine is likely to shut off when coasting down?

Last edited:

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
For the turbo owners, do you allow for a cool down before you shut off your truck after spirited driving or towing?
Yes, this is always advisable, but in my EVO I accomplish that by planning light acceleration and "cool-down" mode the last five miles or so of my drive so I don't have to sit idling in a parking spot trying to cool the turbo.

ddfarmer

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
Here's my two bits: According to the new 2021 Manual (Page 430 for break in): The Tires need approximatley 300 miles of break in. Avoid heavy use of the brakes and clutch if possible during the first 100 miles in town and for a 1,000 miles on freeways. No snowplowing for first 500 miles. No Towing for first 1,000 miles (see page 371). While I understand everyone's 'religion' on changing oil soon and regularly, a lot of that is based on tradition and history of vehicles 10+ years ago. Fords recommendations for oil changes, and when, are based upon their design and engineering. For timing of that see page 605. Ford doesn't gain anything by having you go longer than needed or shorter than needed. Trust me, they don't want warranty repairs. If it was crucial it was changed in the first 1,000 to 1,500 miles, they would arrange to have you bring it in. It would benefit them with less warranty issues. It wont' hurt to change it sooner, but IMO the best and safest way is to follow their recommendations for break in, oil changes, oil type, and mainteance. It's how they have engineered it.
Sponsored