Sponsored

boo radley

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1987 F150 1992 F150, 1999 F150, 2004 F150, 2013 F150
I urge that we do not let this thread get off the rails by making it about synthetic vs regular oil. Not only is that a different debate, it takes away from what most readers coming to this thread are interested in.

PS: @Jus Cruisin has the wrong understanding of what the guy in the video is talking about as well. It turns out that these comments came under a lot of skepticism, just like here. So, he did a second video to clarify his comments. While there is a lot to clarifying, it boiled down to that he runs synthetics (only the best kind) in his own truck and was mainly advising against / venting about people going 15,000 - 20,000 between oil changes. I am not posting the link here as that’d just lead to more off-topic discussion. Anyone interested can google it.
Nobody is debating their choice of motor oils.

The conversation is about breaking in a new engine and that would include oil changes in the first few thousand miles and thousands of miles thereafter. The whole premise of breaking the engine correctly is for longevity. Therefore, oil changes post break in are pertinent to this discussion.

I posted the video of this engine builders "opinion" and stated that clearly. For me, I find his observations to be truthful since I began to use synthetic in my 5.4 from day 1. I routinely took road trips where the truck was set at 80 mph for 5 - 6 hours between stopping. I would have to believe that my engine got up to normal operating temperature throughout its life.. When I finally traded that truck in, it had 240,000 on the engine. Same timing chain and no engine issues whatsoever. Ive never had to change a timing chain in 5 new F150s.

My present 5.0 has been treated the exact same way. At 160,000, I have none of the 5.0 engine issues that I see people complaining about.

Bottom line is that I have shared the way that I have broken in new engines in an effort to keep them away from the mechanics wrench.
Sponsored

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
He said he resolved the issue - and it was associated with rear lock in #37...

Icbmredrat

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew
is it okay to tow a 2000 lb trailer/boat at 250
Miles using highways? I have no other option but seeing as this is a work truck I don’t think it should be a problem for new engine?

cptn12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
I have driven my 19 5.0 the same way from day 1. I have a heavy size 14 foot and use it. I do not have the infamous oil consumption issues others have reported. I will do my 21 the same way. If it ever makes it in.

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
I’ve had my truck for almost 3 months. I’ve driven a staggering 491 miles. At this rate I’ll use the calendar method for oil changes. :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

ddfarmer

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
Here's my two bits: According to the new 2021 Manual (Page 430 for break in): The Tires need approximatley 300 miles of break in. Avoid heavy use of the brakes and clutch if possible during the first 100 miles in town and for a 1,000 miles on freeways. No snowplowing for first 500 miles. No Towing for first 1,000 miles (see page 371). While I understand everyone's 'religion' on changing oil soon and regularly, a lot of that is based on tradition and history of vehicles 10+ years ago. Fords recommendations for oil changes, and when, are based upon their design and engineering. For timing of that see page 605. Ford doesn't gain anything by having you go longer than needed or shorter than needed. Trust me, they don't want warranty repairs. If it was crucial it was changed in the first 1,000 to 1,500 miles, they would arrange to have you bring it in. It would benefit them with less warranty issues. It wont' hurt to change it sooner, but IMO the best and safest way is to follow their recommendations for break in, oil changes, oil type, and maintenance. It's how they have engineered it.
As a follow up - I just towed for about 600 miles. Not a heavy trailer, probably about 3,500-4,000 pounds. Truck tows well and I like the Tow/Haul mode. However, watching how the transmission works in Tow/Haul mode I would again recommend waiting the 1,000 miles as recommended. much of the time spent towing, is down a gear and sometimes two, which puts a little more stress on the engine and transmission. This is especially true when stopping and slowing down, or climbing hills. Lastly, it does pull down the gas! I was about 10-11 MPG which was a little disappointing considering the amount I was towing. I guess I was just spoiled with my Powerstroke.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I’m not going o have much choice but to tow a max load from Florida to upstate New York almost immediately after taking delivery. My King Ranch 6.5 PowerBoost is scheduled for 5/29 arrivals at Grieco Ford in Delray Beach and I must tow our 8,500 pound boat to Lake George for arrival on June 20 - so I have about two weeks of break-in miles if I’m lucky - maybe 300 miles. Here’s hoping for the best. I’m trading in a 2017 F-350 diesel towing beast, but the HOA has nixed keeping that here, so this truck is the best we can do, and delays have us pushing the delivery/use by dates together. Break-in process? Bah. Where can I see the official guidance?

DeliveryJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 f150
Occupation
Driver
It would be good to know what type of break in strategy people are using - and do's and don'ts that apply.

I will be taking my delivery 1200 miles away. So, the focus will be on driving home. So, thinking about what's best.
Do: Drive in sport mode.
Dont: Not drive it in sport mode.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
According to these guys, the new 5.0 has upgraded rings & oil pump.

I DO plan to use the trick they show in this video to disable cylinder deactivation during the break in period.

It doesn't seem to me that deactivating cylinders would be a good thing for an engine that's still being broken in.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I’m exactly 345.6 miles in. It drives so well, I’ve been hard pressed to baby it. As evidenced by getting approximately 350 miles out of my first full “extended range” tank...

Ford F-150 Do's and Don'ts of breaking in a new truck 97F9AFFF-AA61-43A0-AF29-80E81DCD291E

Sponsored

Stubblejumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
The biggest things are to avoid hard use of the brakes for the first couple of hours, and vary engine speeds. Make the engine work a bit, but not for sustained periods.

boo radley

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I drove 300 miles home and averaged 24 mpg per truck computer. 3.5 Eco. My first Eco.

The regular drive takes about 4.0 hours via highway. My secondary roads and back road route took about 8 hours. I tried to use cruise as much as possible because I find it easier to vary speeds. The truck never got up beyond 62 mph and I dont believe the turbos ever kicked in.

Im still on the same 36 gallon tank @ 421 miles in and evidently have 278 miles remaining if this computer is true. It feels like the bottomless tank of gas compared to my 2013 5.0. I will continue to baby the engine till 1000 miles have elapsed and then change the oil to full synthetic like I always have. Im going to install a magnetic drain plug as well because I will bet that fine metal particles will show up next change @ around 4000. The rings are wearing in.

I have never had to replace an oil pump, timing chain, primary internal engine parts or deal with oil consumption problems with any of my F150 engines. The 5.4 that was problematic for so many was the best motor I ever had. 240,000 miles at trade in and it ran like a race car. Original cam phasers. I averaged 30,000 miles per year on that truck.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
I wonder what's the "science" behind all the fine suggestions here.
Like "no cruise control for X number of miles". Why? What's the point? Did Ford say so or suggested it?
Why change the oil early if Ford doesn't say or recommend?

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Cruise control is because it doesn't change load on the engine. You want to vary the load frequently for the first thousand miles so that the piston rings seat and wear in properly. I'm sure there are other items that can be negatively affected when sitting at one RPM/load as well.

boo radley

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wonder what's the "science" behind all the fine suggestions here.
Like "no cruise control for X number of miles". Why? What's the point? Did Ford say so or suggested it?
Why change the oil early if Ford doesn't say or recommend?
I used "cruise" to vary speed all the way home because it was much easier to adjust speed via the set button in lieu of the gas pedal. Not to set on 1 speed.

By changing the oil at 1000, Im certain there is 100% synthetic oil in the engine and its the brand that I use. The brand of oil which will be in the engine for its life while I own it. I also want to remove the metal particles that are in the oil.
Sponsored