Sponsored

BLIS disabled while towing?

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4 FX4, 2020 Edge Titanium, 2019 Escape Ti, 2019 Mustang GT PP2
Was towing my utility trailer the other day, and got multiple warnings in the dash as soon as it was hooked up, saying that a trailer was detected and that BLIS was disabled.

Yes, the trailer was calibrated and attached with the new sensor and everything.

It is my understanding from reading a lot of Ford marketing material, that BLIS is supposed to work with a trailer attached and that the system is supposed to compensate and detect the truck's, as well as the trailer's blind spots. If such is the case, why would the dash tell me BLIS was disabled because of my trailer? Or does this "BLIS with trailer mode" only work with certain types of trailers (not utility ones, apparently)?
Sponsored

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
This is from the manual. Did you input the trailer length?
Ford F-150 BLIS disabled while towing? C2C6DF56-0BA2-448F-AC2F-CF19B54135BE

OP
OP
jfdube999

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4 FX4, 2020 Edge Titanium, 2019 Escape Ti, 2019 Mustang GT PP2
This is from the manual. Did you input the trailer length?
C2C6DF56-0BA2-448F-AC2F-CF19B54135BE.png
I did not do this procedure, thinking that the new "setup with the sensor" thing took care of the basics. I may just have to do so, and perhaps this will solve the problem. I'm assuming this procedure works in combination with the trailer sensor calibrations, and will not screw things up?

Thanks for this btw

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
There is another thread regarding trailer brakes not working and the same “trailer not detected” message. They seemed seemed to conclude using dielectric grease on your trailer connector resolves the issue.

The electronics must be sensitive to measuring for specific resistance values to “sense” the trailers presence and anything other than an absolutely perfect electrical connection throws it off. Guess the engineers only tested using brand new trailers lol.

But yes, also BLISS needs to know your trailer length to be able to compensate for the blind spot.

OP
OP
jfdube999

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There is another thread regarding trailer brakes not working and the same “trailer not detected” message. They seemed seemed to conclude using dielectric grease on your trailer connector resolves the issue.

The electronics must be sensitive to measuring for specific resistance values to “sense” the trailers presence and anything other than an absolutely perfect electrical connection throws it off. Guess the engineers only tested using brand new trailers lol.

But yes, also BLISS needs to know your trailer length to be able to compensate for the blind spot.
Lol perhaps, and my trailer is actually brand new. It doesn't have brakes however. I did get a few warnings in the dash during my trip saying that there was a problem with the 'left turn signal' connection. Had to unplug everything and plug it back in. Solved the issue. Maybe I should try dielectric grease on those pins too next time.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lol perhaps, and my trailer is actually brand new. It doesn't have breaks however. I did get a few warnings in the dash during my trip saying that there was a problem with the 'left turn signal' connection. Had to unplug everything and plug it back in. Solved the issue. Maybe I should try dielectric grease on those pins too next time.
Still though, how awesome is it that these trucks will warn you about potential light issues on your trailer. Despite the flakiness which I feel will eventually get worked out (hopefully with updates), that’s pretty darn cool.

OP
OP
jfdube999

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Still though, how awesome is it that these trucks will warn you about potential light issues on your trailer. Despite the flakiness which I feel will eventually get worked out (hopefully with updates), that’s pretty darn cool.
Absolutely! Greatest vehicle I've owned, bar none.

Stil, it's strange though that I was getting those "left turn signal" errors, because I did try all turn signals and they all worked fine, despite the errors thrown in the dash. Oh well, must be over-sensitive lol!

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
Man, a couple jobs ago I would have loved being able to check brake lights with an app rather than running from the cab to the trailer multiple times every morning.

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
Just to chime in with a possible clarification, the threads I've seen that mention the blades on the trailer connections reference the application of conductive grease. I'm pretty sure "dielectric" materials/substances are inherently non-conductive, so I suspect using them for this purpose would be counter-productive.

OP
OP
jfdube999

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just to chime in with a possible clarification, the threads I've seen that mention the blades on the trailer connections reference the application of conductive grease. I'm pretty sure "dielectric" materials/substances are inherently non-conductive, so I suspect using them for this purpose would be counter-productive.
That's a possibility. However, using conductive grease, in my opinion, increases the chance of causing a short with electricity flowing from one pin to another, no?

Sponsored

Its Not Me

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 3.5l Ecoboost 11/6/20
Occupation
Commercial Locksmith
Absolutely! Greatest vehicle I've owned, bar none.

Stil, it's strange though that I was getting those "left turn signal" errors, because I did try all turn signals and they all worked fine, despite the errors thrown in the dash. Oh well, must be over-sensitive lol!
Now I see a pattern...I too received the "left turn signal" error with no trouble with the light (LED) on trailer flashing away happily...something to keep awareness of and report if it pops up again!

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes sorry conductive grease was going by what they called it in the other thread. The goal is to improve connectivity.

Re shorting: the conductivity of the grease is still pretty low (just better than an incomplete connection). Also, don’t soak the thing in the stuff (envisioning a slimer attack). Just need some on the connectors themselves.

Waxer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 4x4, Star White
Was towing my utility trailer the other day, and got multiple warnings in the dash as soon as it was hooked up, saying that a trailer was detected and that BLIS was disabled.

Yes, the trailer was calibrated and attached with the new sensor and everything.

It is my understanding from reading a lot of Ford marketing material, that BLIS is supposed to work with a trailer attached and that the system is supposed to compensate and detect the truck's, as well as the trailer's blind spots. If such is the case, why would the dash tell me BLIS was disabled because of my trailer? Or does this "BLIS with trailer mode" only work with certain types of trailers (not utility ones, apparently)?
I had this on my 2018 and was always frustrated, until I found out that the BLIS with trailer connection has to be enabled in a different section of the set-up. I had it set-up and working with my 2018. I don't have my 2018 anymore and have not set-up my 2021 yet, but I will look when I get time this weekend and chime back in here.

Rowdieone

First Name
Rowdie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat SuperCrew, PowerBoost
Occupation
Manufacturing
Lol perhaps, and my trailer is actually brand new. It doesn't have brakes however. I did get a few warnings in the dash during my trip saying that there was a problem with the 'left turn signal' connection. Had to unplug everything and plug it back in. Solved the issue. Maybe I should try dielectric grease on those pins too next time.
Weird - I calibrated two different trailers into my truck and each one displayed a right turn signal error. Both the trailers worked fine on my other truck when connected. Unplugging and plugging back in did not fix the issue, WTH...

Last edited:

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
There's some discussion on another thread that LED lights might not draw enough current for the light health algorithm to know if they're working correctly or not.
Sponsored