BBB settlement for rusty axle issue

NHF150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT scab
Filed claim with BBB and finally have a scheduled inspection by Ford FSE (field service engineer) for 7/26. Told BBB I wanted the rear axle housing replaced. A long shot, but will see how it goes.
Sponsored

s.v.t.

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Building..
Filed claim with BBB and finally have a scheduled inspection by Ford FSE (field service engineer) for 7/26. Told BBB I wanted the rear axle housing replaced. A long shot, but will see how it goes.
Interested to hear how this transpires. Best of luck to you.

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
At best dealer will wire brush/scotchbrite pad clean it and spray black with aerosol can . I did mine myself rather that fighting that battle

NHF150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT scab
Dealer already said there was nothing they could do. That's why I went thru BBB. It's with Ford Corporate now. If it was only surface rust, I would have taken care of it, but it's must worse than that.

s.v.t.

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Building..
At best dealer will wire brush/scotchbrite pad clean it and spray black with aerosol can . I did mine myself rather that fighting that battle
Sure, but that didn’t get you a free ESP plan like it could for this poster, or like it did for the OP.

Sponsored

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
Sure, but that didn’t get you a free ESP plan like it could for this poster, or like it did for the OP.
U are correct! hadnt thought about that good move great thinking!

s.v.t.

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Building..
U are correct! hadnt thought about that good move great thinking!
Depending on how my truck shows up will determine the route I go. I’d love some free ESP, but I think I’d prefer to do the clean up and costing myself..

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
Depending on how my truck shows up will determine the route I go. I’d love some free ESP, but I think I’d prefer to do the clean up and costing myself..
and you yourself will do a much better job for sure

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Like several others here, I had a rusty axle and also some of the exhaust components on my F-150 (especially one resonator). Long story short:
  • I filed a case with the BBB, explaining this isn't normal on a $70k new truck and simply requesting that Ford repairs the rust and replaces rusty exhaust components
  • Ford initially denied the claim saying it doesn't fall under warranty
  • I appealed and my appeal was accepted
  • The BBB scheduled an arbitration date
  • Ford offered me $1,000 + a 6/100 basic/powertrain ESP warranty, to avoid arbitration
  • I negotiated and settled on $1,000 + a 7/100 PremiumCare ESP warranty and didn't arbitrate
Hats of to the BBB. They are excellent and responsive, and their appeal reviewers and arbitrators are highly experienced and qualified attorneys who do this work pro bono. Their responses were complete and thoughtful. I also should mention that Ford (and the other major automakers) are bound to the findings and rulings of the BBB, yet we are not. So we have the option to reject a solution, but Ford does not.

I then spent a few hours refinishing/painting the rusty parts properly. I was concerned I wouldn't be able to do much about the exhaust components, but I hit them with a wire brush on a drill and they turned out better than I thought. Not perfect, but pretty good.

I'm happy with the result, though IMO I shouldn't have to go through this with a new truck. Whatever, water under the bridge at this point, and I like the truck a lot.

I just want everyone to be aware that the BBB can be super helpful. You just need to get your argument lined up well and be prepared for an initial rejection and appeal.

This is my repair:
IMG_2072.jpeg
IMG_2076.jpeg
IMG_2069.jpeg
Axle looks great. How did you repair it?

NHF150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT scab
Ford FSE inspected the truck on 7/26 and the conclusion today is....
4. Conclusion
After close inspection of the rust build-up per the concern, I have determined that the concern is a build-up of surface rust on the rear axle. This build-up of surface rust will not cause any concerns with the operation of the vehicle, nor will it lead to operational concerns in the future

Waiting to hear from BBB as to next step.

Sponsored

Scott_W

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Cyber Analyst
If mine has any rust like this when delivered, the BBB will most certainly be engaged immediately. Pictures will be taken prior to leaving the dealership to clear up any doubt with fault which is ridiculous in its own right.
It is, after all, a new $70k vehicle and has been built since January and now sits in a field in June awaiting a chip.
My vehicles are detailed top to bottom including the underside and "never" sit outside in the elements. It's only right that it should be delivered rust free and in new condition.
Amazing this is even a conversation but apparently it is. We'll see...
I have the 2021 3.5 Powerboost. No rust at all here. I live in Arizona. Obviously salted roads play an issue with these occurances. My father sold Chevys (which I love .. except for towing vs mpg). Anyway my dads first request with a new vehicle, as we lived in snowy conditions, was "when can I get it undercoated???" I think someone left that out of the equation. My dealer threw in UV window coating without making it clear. But that turned out to be a very reasonable add-on!!!! So get your vehicles ENTIRELY treated with undercoating. Smart mans move....now that you know.
Scott

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
The major issue that I see in the pictures is the lack of a rear differential drain plug.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
The major issue that I see in the pictures is the lack of a rear differential drain plug.
Aftermarket cover will fix that.
Spicer brand, Ford Performance has a rebadged one in the large diff size for twice the cost.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Aftermarket cover will fix that.
Spicer brand, Ford Performance has a rebadged one in the large diff size for twice the cost.
I agree, and I have front and rear covers with drain plugs now including that exact cover on the back. My complaint is that it wasn't done at the factory.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Ford FSE inspected the truck on 7/26 and the conclusion today is....
4. Conclusion
After close inspection of the rust build-up per the concern, I have determined that the concern is a build-up of surface rust on the rear axle. This build-up of surface rust will not cause any concerns with the operation of the vehicle, nor will it lead to operational concerns in the future

Waiting to hear from BBB as to next step.
Update by chance? If this method bares at least a little more fruit, it'd be entertaining if nothing else.
Sponsored