Sponsored

BBB settlement for rusty axle issue

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Like several others here, I had a rusty axle and also some of the exhaust components on my F-150 (especially one resonator). Long story short:
  • I filed a case with the BBB, explaining this isn't normal on a $70k new truck and simply requesting that Ford repairs the rust and replaces rusty exhaust components
  • Ford initially denied the claim saying it doesn't fall under warranty
  • I appealed and my appeal was accepted
  • The BBB scheduled an arbitration date
  • Ford offered me $1,000 + a 6/100 basic/powertrain ESP warranty, to avoid arbitration
  • I negotiated and settled on $1,000 + a 7/100 PremiumCare ESP warranty and didn't arbitrate
Hats of to the BBB. They are excellent and responsive, and their appeal reviewers and arbitrators are highly experienced and qualified attorneys who do this work pro bono. Their responses were complete and thoughtful. I also should mention that Ford (and the other major automakers) are bound to the findings and rulings of the BBB, yet we are not. So we have the option to reject a solution, but Ford does not.

I then spent a few hours refinishing/painting the rusty parts properly. I was concerned I wouldn't be able to do much about the exhaust components, but I hit them with a wire brush on a drill and they turned out better than I thought. Not perfect, but pretty good.

I'm happy with the result, though IMO I shouldn't have to go through this with a new truck. Whatever, water under the bridge at this point, and I like the truck a lot.

I just want everyone to be aware that the BBB can be super helpful. You just need to get your argument lined up well and be prepared for an initial rejection and appeal.

This is my repair:
Ford F-150 BBB settlement for rusty axle issue IMG_2072
Ford F-150 BBB settlement for rusty axle issue IMG_2076
Ford F-150 BBB settlement for rusty axle issue IMG_2069
Sponsored

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
Like several others here, I had a rusty axle and also some of the exhaust components on my F-150 (especially one resonator). Long story short:
  • I filed a case with the BBB, explaining this isn't normal on a $70k new truck and simply requesting that Ford repairs the rust and replaces rusty exhaust components
  • Ford initially denied the claim saying it doesn't fall under warranty
  • I appealed and my appeal was accepted
  • The BBB scheduled an arbitration date
  • Ford offered me $1,000 + a 6/100 basic/powertrain ESP warranty, to avoid arbitration
  • I negotiated and settled on $1,000 + a 7/100 PremiumCare ESP warranty and didn't arbitrate
Hats of to the BBB. They are excellent and responsive, and their appeal reviewers and arbitrators are highly experienced and qualified attorneys who do this work pro bono. Their responses were complete and thoughtful. I also should mention that Ford (and the other major automakers) are bound to the findings and rulings of the BBB, yet we are not. So we have the option to reject a solution, but Ford does not.

I then spent a few hours refinishing/painting the rusty parts properly. I was concerned I wouldn't be able to do much about the exhaust components, but I hit them with a wire brush on a drill and they turned out better than I thought. Not perfect, but pretty good.

I'm happy with the result, though IMO I shouldn't have to go through this with a new truck. Whatever, water under the bridge at this point, and I like the truck a lot.

I just want everyone to be aware that the BBB can be super helpful. You just need to get your argument lined up well and be prepared for an initial rejection and appeal.

This is my repair:
IMG_2072.jpeg
IMG_2076.jpeg
IMG_2069.jpeg
I had the same issue with my 2022 I bought in February. Like you, I cleaned up the rust and painted it myself but I still think it's ridiculous that this should be an issue on a new vehicle, especially one as pricey as these trucks are. I would be interested in filing a claim with the BBB and at least get something for my time. Is the process time consuming and do you think I would be able to file a claim after I already painted my rear axle? I do have several pictures of the rust.

Cincy150

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SC Sport
Occupation
Application Engineer
That is so damn awesome.. thanks for sharing your success.. I had no idea the BBB did anything like this.. really great information to have, so thank you again.

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
I wish I had thought to do this. Fortunately my dealer made things right by cleaning and painting all affected areas.

Sponsored

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
I wish I had thought to do this. Fortunately my dealer made things right by cleaning and painting all affected areas.
My dealer told me mine rusted in the 5 days I had it and if I wanted the rust off to climb underneath and do it myself. I gently thanked them for permission to work on my own truck. I have since sent two buyers to other dealers.

Another Ford

First Name
DM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
If mine has any rust like this when delivered, the BBB will most certainly be engaged immediately. Pictures will be taken prior to leaving the dealership to clear up any doubt with fault which is ridiculous in its own right.
It is, after all, a new $70k vehicle and has been built since January and now sits in a field in June awaiting a chip.
My vehicles are detailed top to bottom including the underside and "never" sit outside in the elements. It's only right that it should be delivered rust free and in new condition.
Amazing this is even a conversation but apparently it is. We'll see...

Roger That

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150, 2020 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
SQL Solutions Developer
Picked up mine a week ago (May 28). Saw some posts on rust and checked on the test drive. Looked perfect underneath from the rear, then decided to check from front and found this on front of rear axle. Dealer said “it’s just surface rust”. Still waiting to hear if dealer will do anything. There were about 70 miles on it at the time. It was delivered to the dealer from factory the day before I took this pic.

Ford F-150 BBB settlement for rusty axle issue 2E4608C8-6528-4147-9839-B104BACC2F8F

Last edited:

NHF150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT scab
To quote Crocodile Dundee, That's not rust, this is rust! 2021 F150 XLT with 6K miles that I bought on Jan. 3rd 2022. Selling dealer says nothing they can do and different dealer that just did my 5K mile oil change/tire rotation said that same. This is in NH.

Ford F-150 BBB settlement for rusty axle issue 20220410_104030

Ford F-150 BBB settlement for rusty axle issue 20220410_104046

Ford F-150 BBB settlement for rusty axle issue 20220410_104104

Sponsored

NHF150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT scab
To quote Crocodile Dundee, That's not rust, this is rust! 2021 F150 XLT with 6K miles that I bought on Jan. 3rd 2022. Selling dealer says nothing they can do and different dealer that just did my 5K mile oil change/tire rotation said that same. This is in NH.

20220410_104030.jpg

20220410_104046.jpg

20220410_104104.jpg
Just sent in my BBB paperwork today. Will see where it goes. Thanks to Lippy for the idea.

NHF150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT scab
I just looked at my 21 Powerboost, a little surface rust on axle, but what is really concerning is all the rust on brake line in less than a year and 9k.

PXL_20220626_140219621.jpg
Does KY use salt on the roads? Could it possibly be leaking? I think brake fluid is corrosive.

Kendunn

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
Self employed
Does KY use salt on the roads? Could it possibly be leaking? I think brake fluid is corrosive.
We do, but really didn't use much at all this past winter, not even sure if I got it out. Almost all the miles are highway, drove 500 back from dealer, 4000 cross country, 500 to Brevard, NC, 1000 to my daughter's, and just returned from 1000 mile camping trip. The other 2000 were a few Lowes runs and just enough errands to keep charged. I was kind of thinking maybe leaking also, that looks more like corrosion than rust

Last edited:

tc429

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 lariat chrome 3.5 - 2022 lariat sport 3.5
I just looked at my 21 Powerboost, a little surface rust on axle, but what is really concerning is all the rust on brake line in less than a year and 9k.

PXL_20220626_140219621.jpg
ive seen cars 15 years old from ohio with less brake hose rust- thats not gonna last 5 maybe...uncoated/epa friendly coated/whatever- they need to try harder

Roger That

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150, 2020 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
SQL Solutions Developer
Picked up mine a week ago (May 28). Saw some posts on rust and checked on the test drive. Looked perfect underneath from the rear, then decided to check from front and found this on front of rear axle. Dealer said “it’s just surface rust”. Still waiting to hear if dealer will do anything. There were about 70 miles on it at the time. It was delivered to the dealer from factory the day before I took this pic.

2E4608C8-6528-4147-9839-B104BACC2F8F.jpeg
So the day after I completed the dealer survey I got a call asking if I had been contacted about the rust (“oxidation”) I mentioned on day of purchase. Nope. They put service on it, and service contacted Ford. Ford says “normal & won’t affect operation”. Dealer agrees, but says they understand buying a new truck WITH surface rust on drive train & suspension is not what a customer expects. Truck is now in the shop & dealer is removing rust, found two items missing paint/protection, and will spray other bare metal areas with an oil coating (I believe similar to factory applied). This at Larry Miller Ford, Mesa, AZ.
Sponsored